Print  
Author Topic: iOS 4  (Read 4603 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html

I feel obliged to comment on the "revolutionary" new multi-tasking feature of iOS 4, just as I was when I talked about how "side-by-side" execution in the .NET world that "dramatically improved upon Windows registry-bound COM components" was nothing new under the sun.  This also smacks of how Microsoft claimed that code reuse and true object orientation were passe concepts replaced by interface inheritance, until VB.NET and C# revealed their true understanding of their value.

Bottom line, and at the end of the cliche, multitasking was a shameful missed feature cloaked in the purity of the "best user experience."  This may in part be true, but the fault doesn't belong to the over app-launching user but to Apple.  Throttling is an art and although Apple ranks high in UI in general, multitasking is more appropriately considered to be a late blooming core feature as opposed to a fully matured product nicety 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »

Well, since we're in that debating mood...

It's been long discussed that Apple couldn't see a way (nor, honestly, has anyone else) to provide wide open multitasking that didn't beat the crap out of the battery. The "revolutionary" bit is rather hyperbolic, since it's just a really smart extension of basic features, but it is more than just opening multitasking up to the unwashed masses (who would write horrible code and kill the user experience of the phone vis-a-vis ridiculously short battery life).

The phone has always had multitasking, natch why you could play music and read your emails at the same time. Skype, however, would have beat the hell out of the battery if they'd been listening full time for an incoming call. The brilliant part was for Apple to expose the existing MT feature set (the ones that they themselves used for things like music, phone and timers) as access points into the kernel and hardware optimization. So now, rather than Skype  and Pandora and AIM all having their own daemons running listening for event vectors, now they can hook into the phone, music and messaging systems that are internal to the machine. This works as well for things like TomTom which can now run in the background, getting "pinged" by the OS when the phone's geographic position changes (x) amount. Huge savings there man.

Apple claims (caveat) that processes like Skype now run in full MT mode but do not affect battery life at all. I'd normally be more skeptical because battery life is a perennial bugaboo, but with the iPad claims==reality experience I'm inclined to believe that it's the truth - or at least damn close.

Actually I'm pretty impressed because it *looks* as though it would have been obvious, but hasn't seemed to be in the past. Prolly only Apple, with control over the hardware and OS as they have could even offer this sort of thing. I'll be impressed when TomTom and the Pandora are running while I'm receiving IMs from AIM while I'm playing Missle Command and the battery doesn't flame out in 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:48:11 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »

>It's been long discussed that Apple couldn't see a way (nor, honestly, has anyone else) to provide wide open multitasking that didn't beat the crap out of the battery.

This should be decided by the user, not Apple 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:40 PM »

Users are stupid. They'll download a solitaire game that sits in the background and burns battery and then they think the phone sucks.

Nope, I disagree. It is incumbent on the manufacturer to endeavor to give us the best experience possible and battery life is clearly an important point. If you want a device that you can do anything with then purchase an Android based machine.

I don't find the freedom to screw myself any kind of big benefit, actually.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »

>Users are stupid.

Speak for yourself  ROFLMAO

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »

I'm with Perk on this one. I think Apple is right in their notion that it's their job to make the best "controller" for the hardware and not just offer a punch of APIs regardless how they affect on the hardware. In the long run it will really pay off when Android phones are reaping fame as low battery life devices that can't run game for two minutes and iOS4 devices just keep going. Normal users don't really give a fuck about all the mumbojumbo going around with Android and iDevices. I downloaded Backgroundr for my iPhone like 6 months ago. I have used it maybe four times and it really kills the battery if you don't remember to close the programs when you are done. I just don't need multitasking. Of course listening music while surfing the web is cool but we've had that all along. I'm interested to see if I start to use multitasking in iPhone 4, somehow I doubt it. That's more likely to happen with iPad.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »

It's astounding how the brightest of people will vote for less choice when it is enforced anyway by their pet technologies  ROFLMAO  Yes please sir, I'd like that option removed  Roll Eyes

I understand the "best interest" argument for the masses and the convenience bestowed upon the absent minded.  But doooods pleaze.  Trying to convince me that the option to have more features which drain your battery faster is in any way a bad thing is like giving me a maintenance-free parachute.  It just boggles the mind.

How many other elements of normal human existence can claim the same properties and preferred limitation of options?  Not many, to say the least.  Again, I'll buy the Nerf helmet for tard-boarders argument.  But attempting to sell this logic to anyone else under 60 is just ridiculous 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »

What you people just do not understand is I keep slaves for their own good.
Why that black negro, with out me what would he do ?
All he is good for is picking cotton, without me he would just starve to death.
Sometimes he gets these silly ideas that he should run away, so for his own good i keep him chained up.

Also those people who want to educated negros, why all that does is stuff thier heads with silly nonsense.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »

It's astounding how the brightest of people will vote for less choice when it is enforced anyway by their pet technologies  ROFLMAO  Yes please sir, I'd like that option removed  Roll Eyes
Naah, in this case I'm thinking as user. And what I find even more astounding is that you can't obvious understand that what you feel as option remove, I feel as a gain in overall usability. I just don't undestand that what I'm missing if hardware manufacturer says that it doesn't work very well unless done very good so I recommend we don't put it there yet. For example, with your logic car manufacturers shouldn't leave safety margins with car engines but instead optimize them to the limit and hope people drive well enough not to break it.

I understand the "best interest" argument for the masses and the convenience bestowed upon the absent minded.  But doooods pleaze.  Trying to convince me that the option to have more features which drain your battery faster is in any way a bad thing is like giving me a maintenance-free parachute.  It just boggles the mind.
Well, how can you as user know when developer uses those options properly? We actually have a similar situation with personal computers right now. Windows especially is particulary good with giving options and now we are enjoying the benefits .. it's called viruses. I know, it's very extreme example but I hope you get my point. In my opinion it's always a very fucking bad idea to offer unlimited options to developers without proper user control over what the program can do. Now what can you do if you don't want constant "do you allow" flood of popups into your user experience. Only option is to limit developers.

When you give developers totally free access to everything, it's like giving your user a maintenance-free parachute.

How many other elements of normal human existence can claim the same properties and preferred limitation of options?  Not many, to say the least.  Again, I'll buy the Nerf helmet for tard-boarders argument.  But attempting to sell this logic to anyone else under 60 is just ridiculous 
How about examining society? Modern societies are based on preferred limitation of options. Feel like killing someone because they did something? Well you can't because it was decided that we preferer our hardware not to do that.

I'm a bit sick of this argument because you obviously want something you'll never get and choose to ignore every that good and well in the current ecosystem. Like I have said million times, it's all about what users want and if you look at the marketshare and read user experiences, it's quite obvious which solution is working for people. And doesn't iOS 4 proof that Apple is adding all the features people are asking but they are taking their time to make sure it works properly? Now are you suggesting we all become Google and just squeeze shit out that doesn't work properly just because we want to do everything and do nothing very good?

What you people just do not understand is I keep slaves for their own good.
Why that black negro, with out me what would he do ?
All he is good for is picking cotton, without me he would just starve to death.
Sometimes he gets these silly ideas that he should run away, so for his own good i keep him chained up.

Also those people who want to educated negros, why all that does is stuff thier heads with silly nonsense.
That's a bit limping analogy mate Smiley
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:11:26 AM by kurdt » Logged

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 07:54:53 AM »

Multitasking wasn't simply draining the battery.  It was crashing the then fledgling system.  Flash isn't simply a monster of flawed security with terrible user experience.  It was also crashing Apples, which was probably the primary reason for its exclusion.

But damn Apple's good at getting people to march around parroting their assertions like immutable gospel.  It's all about the user experience, intelligent choice-limiting environments, superior single-supplier download options, blah, blah.  Take the bitter pill someday and save yourself further embarrassment.  Multitasking was never a bad option that simply drained the battery faster than Apple felt I should be free to choose into by running multiple apps.  No I believe your car analogy might be correct here in that permitting it was breaking the "engine." 

The problem with this though is having the balls to admit it.  Will never happen, since Apple is perfect  Roll Eyes

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »

ROFLMAO

@ ITTO - So: The un-brightest people choose less features...? Sorry, load of crap. I purchase iPhone/pad etc because they have the features that I want. Multitasking, as nice as it will be, has not been a restriction near so much as an inconvenience, at the expense of a better overall experience. You of all people know that I have my tech *exactly* the way I want it. So what I get from Apple's product line is an empowerment to do things I want to do the way I want to do them. Consider for a moment, that the brightest people may actually have an understanding of the value of their time and energy. Or perhaps that I want to be empowered to execute the tasks at hand, with minimal interference from the tool that is facilitating the task.

And that leads to an excellent point that we hit this weekend: You pushed that the computer is so much more than a tool, it represents freedom. I disagree. I say it is nothing more than a tool, allowing me to access information. Consider for a moment that in China they have way more gadgets with much more choice that we have here. But they do not have freedom. Tell me that you believe the lack of multitasking to be an inhibitor of freedom and I'll grant that the choice is Faustian. But other than that, it is a feature of a tool and nothing more. And the *other* features of the tool are more compelling to me than that one. Quite simple, actually.

@ Multitasking crashing the system: no it doesn't. Crappy code crashes the phone. And Apple chose not to allow people to write stuff that could do that, which I applaud and am grateful for because it keeps me in the zone of what I want: more access more easily. Better battery, less crashes == more access. What you do not understand is that more options != better (by default, it might, but is not an absolute by any stretch). M$ thought this for the longest time with Word and Excel. More stuff == better. Horsepoop. (More stuff == more complicated) ~= less productivity.

The real problem IMO is that you do not see the value in features that I value. So you imagine yourself jailed because of the lack of features in the Apple line. I assert that there are lots of options out there for you to choose from. Ones that I find fail to handle what I want. So to me, they are wrong as the Apple line is to you. But you won't hear me assert that you are quizzically bright and stoopid for choosing and Android based machine over an Apple.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:38:34 PM by perkiset » Logged

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »

Funny how people boast that they have "freedom"
Obviously in China the reason why they do not have "freedom" is because this brand of chewing gum is not being sold.

If only china had that type of chewing gum.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:01:08 PM »

So right dood. The world would be a far better place.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »

You pushed that the computer is so much more than a tool, it represents freedom. I disagree. I say it is nothing more than a tool, allowing me to access information.

Remember what I said.  A computer is like a library, but far greater.  Equating a library to a hammer or any other well defined "tool" is an insult to libraries.  The point is not to sculpt the library into nothing more than an exact fit for the precise information currently required from it.  The point is to keep it open so it promotes education, not just rigidly defined licensed features that cash will enable.

By framing these things as "tools" you're clearly missing the greater point I was trying to make.  The artist's canvas, as I mentioned, would similarly be a "tool."  An educational institution is also, using your analogy, a "tool."  School is a tool.  Wait, is it a "tool" or is it a place where infinite other things are encouraged and in fact enabled to happen?

If you choose to see computers as blenders and table saws then we can agree to disagree.  In my view they're the great window to possibility in the information age 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »

Window to possibility ... fair enough. I see them simply as a conduit. In and of themselves they offer very little. Much like a hammer.

IMO the computer is not a library, it is the access mechanism to the library. So is an iPhone. iPad. Droid. You name it. The device is really immaterial compared to the destination and the information held therewith. The artist's canvas is actually part of the art. An educational institution contains the components (teachers) to actually create and dispense information ... a computer can do no such thing. So we agree to disagree then. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript