The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting iPad thought, and a bar-raiser for the competition...  (Read 4949 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:17:59 AM »

Mac News World quote: "The iPad synchs automatically to users' Macs or PCs through the docking cable it will come with, said Carl Howe, director of anywhere consumer research at the Yankee Group. It also gets automatically backed up once you connect it to your computer." "Windows tablets are standalone computers, and if you lose them, you lose everything in them," Howe told MacNewsWorld. "Even if the vendor were to give you a brand new tablet, you'd spend the next two days reinstalling your apps, which you won't have to do with the iPad."

Very subtle, but this is an interesting change in dynamic. Hadn't even thought of the fact that if I have documents on one machine, syncing should be an instant backup. Additionally, since I'm a mobile me user, I wonder how it interacts with the cloud.

IT guys are not going to want YET ANOTHER device to have to provide backup for, much less more location sprawl of critical documents. Tiny thought, but it moves the iPad from an autonomous computer metaphor to an integrated component of your digital life metaphor.

Man I'm really looking forward to seeing how all the dynamics of our data, processing etc change over the next year or two. It's going to be fabulous. As soon as HyperV really takes off, millions of people in the corporate world are going to instantly become aware of the shift and then product developers will REALLY have the opportunity to take us somewhere.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »

I have been pondering this for the last few months.
Do you actually take the crap you post about apple seriously ? Or are you just posting so called reviews to practice your advertising copy writing skills ?

This post appears to be a direct copy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_C._Hopkins famous Schlitz Beer commercial http://www.wordsmithbob.com/articles/How-Claude-Hopkins-Took-Schlitz-Beer-From-8th-to-First-in-America.html from back in 1900.

In a nutshell hopkins tactics can be summed up with this brief quote.

The Revelation

"My God," Hopkins said, "Why don't you tell people in your advertising about all these steps you are taking to brew your beer?"
But, the Schlitz people told him, "All companies brew their beer about the same way."

"Yes," Hopkins countered, "but the first one to tell the public about this process will gain a big advantage." Hopkins went on to create an advertising campaign based on what he'd learned from the tour. Essentially, he told the story that every brewery could have; but didn't.

Nothing ground breaking with this so called "automatic sync".
Hate to break it to you, but when i used a palm pilot 10+ years ago it had this feature.
All windows CE devices had active sync enabled. I have not used a windows CE device for 5+ years but I am sure it has not changed Smiley

About the only difference is that apple's sucks shit because it because it uses a closed protocol.
But then again you have managed to spin that to an advantage using you previous copywriting.
http://www.perkiset.org/forum/all_things_apple/apple_ipad_as_a_cage_why_that_doesnt_fit-t2583.0.html

To paraphrase hopkins, most users are fuking morons.
You have to tell them the blatantly obvious features of your product, but somehow make it seem revolutionary.
Apple users are probably the biggest bunch of morons, but because they are university educated, they seem to think they are smarter. So this sort of advertising works very well.

Possibly your next post you could talk about how iphone/ipad can be recharged with any electrical outlet.
Here is a handy picture which you can use.

Your iphone/ipad can be recharged using any of the about outlets, moron

Also you could talk about how all apple products have an on/off switch.
This amazing device allows you to save energy. When you are not using your iphone/ipad press this button. The apple device now is "off". This saves your battery. Isn't that amazing ?

And people wonder why I am a great fan of of social evolution theory.
Bottom line is people are nothing more then pack animals similar to a pack of dogs.
The only difference is dogs generally speaking are more intelligent Smiley

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:25:04 AM »

Holy shit does batman have a pearl necklace?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »

Do you actually take the crap you post about apple seriously ? Or are you just posting so called reviews to practice your advertising copy writing skills ?
I think you must read the first few lines of my posts and then move onto your response.

If you deny that Apple has tossed the tech salad then you're living under a rock. I'm not saying they'll dominate, I'm not saying the 'pad is the God device, I'm not saying anything like that at all. But watching the tube a couple days ago I saw a commercial for Legal Zoom I think it was ... mountain of insurmountable legal paper in front a businessman ... he whips his tablet out (I think it was a Lifebook) does some finger-based manipulation of a site, including some pinch/zoom hints and the monster mount of paper disappears.

The fact of the matter is, that whether you like it or not, Apple has made lots and lots of people aware of a touch interface in a way that no previous technology or technology company has. Irrespective of if that makes them money, or whether they continue to be relevant or ANY of that happy horseshit, they have affected the tech marketplace in a big way. I used to argue with folks about the original Mac and Xerox Parc. WGAF if Parc did it first? Almost no one in the world even knew that stuff existed. Apple made it exist in the popular mindset. Microsoft fought it, hell, IBM had a machine out that had "toy mode" which was a GUI with mouse pointer - a direct shot at Apple interface.

And they've done it again with the pad. And in this particular instance, I think they've very subtly moved the bar a bit by making the 'pad a component of an entire lifestyle, rather than an autonomous device like a notebook. Whether it's a windows notebook, Macbook, Netbook, *nix box, I could give a shit: the bar's been moved. I'm not even saying higher or lower FFS. But I am saying that this way of thinking is going to shift mindshare and people's perspective on their data.

So, my friend - since there's plenty of hate and disparaging out there, and there's plenty mindless fanbois, I will continue to look to see where the significance of the technology is and post appropriately. If you cannot see the significant difference between what was going on when I was fighting with Graffitti and syncing MY palm pilot, to what the pad is about to do, then I invite you to take a step back and reassess. Your assertion that Apple users are fuking morons says more about you than the platform.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:44:28 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:32:16 PM »

@perks, obviously u never read my post, or maybe u never got the point.

Nutshell version.
Hopkins was probably one of the best copywriters in history, he also pioneered modern advertising techniques.
Anyway you can find the origional copy of hopkins ad.

The brillance of his ad, is that it just stated all of the properties/qualities that any other beer in USA had.
Most of these attributes where commonsense.

The fact of the matter is, that whether you like it or not, Apple has made lots and lots of people aware of a touch interface in a way that no previous technology or technology company has. Irrespective of if that makes them money, or whether they continue to be relevant or ANY of that happy horseshit, they have affected the tech marketplace in a big way. I used to argue with folks about the original Mac and Xerox Parc. WGAF if Parc did it first? Almost no one in the world even knew that stuff existed. Apple made it exist in the popular mindset. Microsoft fought it, hell, IBM had a machine out that had "toy mode" which was a GUI with mouse pointer - a direct shot at Apple interface.
Pretty much your statement there proves my point Smiley
You stated that Apple has "made people adware".

Has apple created anything ? No.
Did they invent anything ? No.
So what did they do ? Well they made people aware Smiley.
That is called "promotion" or "advertising".

I was just attempting to point out the illogical manner in which the human mind works.
Prime example is US slavery (or for that matter slavery in general).
At the time you could get statistics showing how many slaves died due to mistreatment. You could get the results of a ton of fact finding reports etc. All of this had very little effect on the slave trade etc.

But one novel, "Uncle Tom's cabin" changed all of that. In 1852 300K copies where sold in USA alone. 200K copies where sold in britain. Again majority of people around the world could not understand the suffering caused by slavery, unless it is placed in a first person perspective.

I was attempting to make a sarcastic post that apple said their product plugs into an electrical outlet and contains and on and off switch and everyone goes hysterical. I find this very amusing Smiley

To understand me, you must understand first in graham green's novel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_and_the_Glory
There are many analogies between me and graham.
Graham Greene was a devout catholic, and yet his novel on the surface can first be perceived as a very anti-catholic novel. And yet on a deeper level it shows that people need the church.
For the record I own 2 apple devices, an macbook pro and an iphone.

I think on a deeper level what Graham Greene is saying is that majority of people need "heros" or some sort of "divine being" to feel fullfilment in their lives.

In the past we had things like the "catholic church", mythology.
Today we no longer have these sorts of things. But because of human need to have a "sense of purpose" these things have now been subsituted with britany spears, tiger woods, ipods,iphones and ipads.

I thing there have been many people through out the ages who have seen this.
The sistine chapel ceiling is very interesting. In the bible there are countless stories that Michelangelo could have choosen. And yet the ones which he chose to illustrate are very interesting.

For example he has "The drunkeness of noah" where his daughters get noah drunk so he will have sex with him.
Even more interesting is the pope etc, allowed this scene to be made.

To base things on "fanbois" and "anti-apple satanists" or "good" and "evil", "black" and "white" is a very simplistic manner of things. And yet that is how most people percieve the world.

Anyway just found a new picture Smiley.
It is of God dividing the light from darkness.

You can not see the face of god. But it appears he looks very happy.
I wonder if it is supposed to be Michelangelo. If it is that would be very amusing Smiley.
God in that picture does not appear to be very mighty. He is not like the great thunder god thor with his huge hammers.
Instead he sees god as a small old man. This god is much more powerful then thor, but yet he seems to have a bemused expression on his face.  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:21:52 AM »

actually i have always thought that god in that painting looks very annoyed. Kind of like "for the love of everything holy, would you two idiots take a time out..."

I know this look very well... My wife gives it to me many times a day regarding me and my daughter.  ROFLMAO

2years art history and pushing professors buttons...
me: "God? Uh, I see a portrait of some dude with a crazy white beard?"
prof: "the title is: Portrait of God"
me: "Did God authorize it?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:23:46 AM by nutballs » Logged

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »

Pretty much your statement there proves my point Smiley
You stated that Apple has "made people adware".

Has apple created anything ? No.
Did they invent anything ? No.
So what did they do ? Well they made people aware Smiley.
That is called "promotion" or "advertising".
Here's where we fundamentally disagree.

Did Apple originally invent the mouse-based GUI? No, it was Xerox PARC. But nobody was using it, there was no future for it. Apple (specifically Jobs at that point) saw the brilliance in it, created a usable and viable model with it and converted the world from DOS to a GUI mentality. Marketing was the message mechanism, but it was a profound change in paradigm. Whether other people might have also discovered and made use of the model later is immaterial: Apple was the company that did it. This is not a marketing effort, it takes a boatload of smarts on a variety of disciplines to prop up a company to do what they have done. Have other companies tried to do smart phones? Yes, but Apple created the high water mark that everyone is trying to beat. They did not invent the MP3 music player, but they created an ease-of-use model (the combination with iTunes and syncing) that made it incredibly dominant. Like, 78% market share to this day. Did they invent small little hand held computers? No, but I believe that the pad has already changed the landscape because of what people will expect - both from the device, the interface and the interaction with the rest of their technology.

IMO you confuse the notion of what is physically possible, with what is actually a successful business model. You can't make photocopying a textbook a scalable business model. The brilliance that Apple exhibits regularly is their blend of tech, business, marketing and PR to create change. It's not just advertising that made the iPhone what it is - it's the whole package. Same for the iPods and the entire Mac line. And it will probably be so for the iPad.

And we'll have another discussion in a couple years, when everyone is using pad-like devices, that Apple had nothing to do with that evolution.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »

IMO you confuse the notion of what is physically possible, with what is actually a successful business model. You can't make photocopying a textbook a scalable business model. The brilliance that Apple exhibits regularly is their blend of tech, business, marketing and PR to create change. It's not just advertising that made the iPhone what it is - it's the whole package. Same for the iPods and the entire Mac line. And it will probably be so for the iPad.

And we'll have another discussion in a couple years, when everyone is using pad-like devices, that Apple had nothing to do with that evolution.

Photocopying textbooks in asia is a scalable business model Smiley. I outlined in another post how this is done Smiley. Pirating DVDs is a successful business model Smiley. Probably they guys who are doing it, are making almost as much as apple is making Smiley. Pirated DVD's in asia is no mickey mouse operation.
Pirated goods add attraction for tourists in Philippines
http://www.topnews.in/pirated-goods-add-attraction-tourists-philippines-2132730

1 of my favorite books is "Ogilvy on Advertising". For Oglivy his favorite book was "Scientific Advertising" by Hopkins.
Some of Ogilvy's ads literally changed people's values and perception on how things should be done.

The ad that made Oglivy famous

The famous saying that has now come to define RR, Oglivy stole from Pierce Arrow.
Oglivy stopped RR from going the way of Pierce Arrow.

Series of Ads that started off the VW bug craze in america

These ads made small compact cars "cool". It changed america Smiley

But in both of those cases, the origional product was there.
Maybe if Xerox had hired Oglivy  ROFLMAO
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »

Photocopying textbooks in asia is a scalable business model Smiley.

Oh, ok. My bad.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 11:12:33 PM »

Photocopying textbooks in asia is a scalable business model Smiley.
Oh, ok. My bad.
In Asia, the difference between a black and grey in business is very vague Smiley.
As i outlined in other post, there are photocopy places next to usually universities colleges etc.
The photocopy place has a copy of all the textbooks behind counter.
You just tell the guy if u want entire book copied, or u could just ask for like certain chapters.
So u could open up a chain of photocopy places next to schools Smiley

Honestly no one even talks about textbook piracy, because compared to other forms of piracy it is negliable.

The DVD/music piracy is a full blown operation. Ocean going bankas load up on pirated DVDs in mainland china, taiwan and hong kong. I think PH is like the stop over place, beforee the bankas go off to places like indonesia etc.
There is some pirated DVDs produced in PH and indonesia, but they are ussually for local content. The mainland china DVD are the best.

You can buy pirated DVD on the street, in the public markets, and even in luxary shopping malls. This is no mickey mouse operation. Rumor has it when the "Passion of Christ" was made, 3 million pirated copies where sold in PH before it reached the theatres. It is total BS that piracy cuts into movie theatre sales, tons of filipinos love the movies and go to them Smiley

In a nutshell if u run a business here u have to pay off. Mainly it is what u would call "special service". So normal waiting time to get a permit of some sort processed is lets say 3 weeks, but u can cut it down to maybe a few days.

That is not to say there is no form of law and order here. Except for certain areas like Angeles etc., the dealing of narcotics is looked down upon. In some areas there is zero tolerance. Again I am not talking about "legal" system per say, but vigilante actions. They call it here, Rapid Justice with Immediate Execution. On the bright side it solves the drug problem very well, and it does not tie up the legal system etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript