The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:23:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: if the defaults don't get you...  (Read 2469 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »

...the forced march to agree to the NEW! IMPROVED! privacy policy will.

Apple Inc. is now collecting the "precise," "real-time geographic location" of its users' iPhones, iPads and computers.

In an updated version of its privacy policy, the company added a paragraph noting that once users agree, Apple and unspecified "partners and licensees" may collect and store user location data.

When users attempt to download apps or media from the iTunes store, they are prompted to agree to the new terms and conditions. Until they agree, they cannot download anything through the store.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/06/apple-location-privacy-iphone-ipad.html

Note that Android is doing roughly the same.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »

Shocked

Like a thief in the night and all ...

I'll read that shortly because I want to see how much they can connect geolocation with (me). If it's all ants on a hill I'm not terribly concerned. But could be quite bad.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »

Just remember to pull the batteries before you visit the Chicken Ranch. Oh wait, Apple embedded the battery in the ipad, right? How convenient.

But you're being tracked anyway.  What does it matter if we let a few marketing organizations have the data, too?

"the government routinely obtains customer records from ISPs detailing the telephone numbers dialed, text messages, emails and instant messages sent, web pages browsed, the queries submitted to search engines, and geolocation data, detailing exactly where an individual was located at a particular date and time."

"The courts ruled in 2005 that law enforcement doesn't need to show probable cause to obtain your physical location via the cell phone grid. All of the aforementioned metadata can be accessed with an easy-to-obtain pen register/trap & trace order."

"http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2009/12/sprint-fed-customer-gps-data-to-leos-over-8-million-times.ars"
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »

I agree with perk that if the data is indeed completely anonymous coordinates, then I think I'm pretty ok with this. However if the data gets paired up with any information that can be used to identify you, then it is sleazy and I would be very disappointed with Apple.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »

This goes along with my earlier predictions of pop up ads when your near a
McDonald's for half off fries or something..

We noticed your netflix also determined you were half-gay, weve included
a few popups for some gay bars in the near area.

DAMN WHY DID I WATCH CABARET ON NETFLIX?!?!?!?

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »

>DAMN WHY DID I WATCH CABARET ON NETFLIX?!?!?!?

HHH! I tell your story often.  BTW, I had some advance warning about the Netflix algo when my wife opened her account so I advised her to be fastidious about her ratings from the git-go.  She was, and now it's so on-target that it's become a self-reinforcing cycle ...she only watches what it guesses will be a 4-star or above, she rates it 4 star or above, rinse, repeat.

>netflix

You make a good point about x-matching.  Merchant buys Apple db AND the soon-to-be-announced Facebook "24/7" db ...Ka-ching!
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »

netflix rating thing works great for single people (or couples with the same exact tastes). Throw a kid on the account and all bets are off.

Netflix thinks I am a gay 3 year old into documentaries, slashers, love stories and Thomas the train. I have not rented nor rated a single slasher, docu or love story from netflix. Seriously, mine is the easiest to guess. Just recommend the entire SciFi section and you got me nailed.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »

I really don't mind if I get a coupon for McDonalds as I'm passing one ... in fact, that's the best form of marketing. It's really the least spammy, if you think about it - truly context and possible need applicable. If I'm going to be marketed to, that's hot.

But if (I) am paired with the data then my argument will be more along the lines of the NRA and the "They came first for the guns" crew. When they know where everyone is - or at least the dissidents, then it becomes really scary.

Especially with the new particle beam brain melter from space they're working on. ::shiver::

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »

>I really don't mind if I get a coupon for McDonalds as I'm passing one

Last week I was surveyed by a resort town about wind-powered generators. They kept talking about "a few" installations or instances.  While one or two rotors in a neighborhood might be intriguing and even uniquely/oddly attractive, 300 rotors within a few blocks presents an different image.

Suppose you're driving down around ASU, perk.  The barrage of coupons would be like a DOS attack.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »

hmmm... perhaps more a DDOA attack (Dedicated Denial of Attention  ROFLMAO )

On the other hand, think of the opportunities while browsing the seedier parts of Vegas. Delightful. I wonder if it could go so far as to see that my wife's phone is in really close proximity to mine, so we get couples ads rather than singles ads.  Idea...

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »

vegas would suck. You would get nothing but cheep hooker ads. lol.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

That's my point. And the problem is...?

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »

This is impossible, since the service is non-Free  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript