The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HDR Photography with iPhone OS 4.1  (Read 1960 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »

This is really something. In the past, you needed to take 3 quick shots yourself and then use specialized software to create high dynamic range photos. We're talking about the domain of for-reals professional photographers use this stuff to create the incredibly beautiful images you might see in galleries.

Now, this clearly is not going to make everyone gallery-ready, but HDR can really take a tough situation for a picture and make it damn reasonable, if not somewhat excellent.

I'm looking forward to seeing if it actually works.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/02/first_look_taking_hdr_photos_with_apples_ios_4_1.html

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »

HDR is almost always over done. too many steps apart, making the result look way over saturated. it can look cool, but often just looks like a photoshop saturation filter gone haywire.

however... in the right usage, and circumstances it can change an image from a snapshot to a photo.

interesting addon, though a bit weird if you ask me...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »

It's like autofocus, auto aperature, autospeed ... hell it's like quantization for a music synthesizer.

It won't turn everyone into an artist, but there may be times when a snapshot becomes something a bit more likely to be kept. I am wondering if it's all auto-HDR or if there will be blend adjustments ... or even region blending adjustments like in Aperture. That's really be something. Prolly not, but it would be cool.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »

Or autotune.

Just look at T-Pain. That sound he achieves...yeah, it's cause he's not singing on the pitch.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »

Much like. The sound is intesting and different, regardless of the technique or lack of. HDR has been a trick of photographers for quite a while now, it's cool that a little piece of it is being brought to the masses. It will both increase appreciation for the art and perhaps up the baseline.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »

I have been playing around with HDR photos for few days and so far it's been good. iPhone saves photos with and without HDR so it's easy to compare. So far it has helped mainly by lightening up the photos and adjusting whites and blacks to proper levels. I know what nutballs means about doing too much HDR but in iPhone 4.1's case, the effect is quite subtle. I think the whole HDR is little bit misleading, it's more like "really nice black and white level correcting algorithm".

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:02 AM »

I still have not had a chance to try it, but to the the best effect, normally you would need a wide color space. Like a field of flowers, or a cityscape at night works too. I will try to get s test in today, just to see what the range is set at. Thought the quick test I just did right now it seems like they went subtle, thank god....

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript