The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Government to the rescue...  (Read 2081 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »

- well, not really, and not specifically an Apple topic, but this is a rather interesting turn of events:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/17/u_s_senators_ask_fcc_to_examine_exclusive_cell_phone_deals.html

- *could be* nothing but good for consumers. Counter point: Would Apple have had the success it's enjoyed, had they not been able to do an exclusive+subsidy deal with AT&T? Would ANY manufacturer be able to promote real innovation without some kind of alignment such as the Apple/AT&T arrangement?

And lastly, is it actually contrary to a free market to say that two companies cannot have a strategic and tactical relationship thus?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »

I read that and thought that we need to fire every sentator/congressman who voiced any interest in it immediately.

That is the most retarded thing ever.
Monopoly??? wtf? Can they not go buy any of 500 other phones on other carriers???

Fine, then I am going to say this in support of it.
I want to buy my honda a ford dealership, and I want it made by volvo...

<shakesfist>fucking tards!</shakesfist>

mind you, i would love it on TMO.. lol

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »

I happened to read somewhere just yesterday that around 40% of the iphone subscribers defected from other cell providers to get the iphone, so -yeah- it's a big deal ...to the losers.  But nobody would be moaning and bitching if the iphone had been just another phone, would they?  It's the consumers' lust for the must-have iphone that's really worrying them. But while I concur with everyone above that Apple should have the right to cut its best deal, I'm also in a position where I'd benefit personally from what the senators are proposing.

I have the luxury of not having to bother with phones much, but that's not the case for Louise and her real estate brokerage. We're in a rural area that only gets full coverage from US Cellular. Late last year I put in a repeater so that the signal was decent in the house, so life is good and I no longer have to listen to whining about dropped calls. If we were to sign up with ATT then her daily routine would be filled with black holes while out on the road. Cell service at home would go back on the fritz.

That said, Louise & I live more and more in the cloud and the iPhone would be yet another nice step up in our virtualized lifestyle.  It appears we're going to get EVDO in our area before the end of the year (3g isn't likely to be available from any provider for the foreseeable future).  So, I'm wondering if I want to buy an older iphone, jail-break it and tap into US Cellular?  Sound feasible?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »

Hmmm... if you're serious about that, I have an 8G phone that will no longer be necessary. No SIM because it will go into my new 3GS, but perhaps we can work something out...

Let me know if you have interest.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »

Thanks, perk, but the IT son-in-law is knee-deep in iphones ...so no problem with the supplyline.

But supply may be a moot point. Just looked on some forums, apparently my carrier is CDMA and iPhones won't connect. Bummer if that's true.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:12:19 AM »

AT&T is a GSM network, like 80+% of the rest of the world.

Verizon is the only company I know of left who uses CDMA. GSM hardware is WAAAAAY cheaper because of all the competition in that sector. I don't know what Verizon was thinking when they installed a nationwide CDMA network.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:04:13 AM »

Reports are that they know this as well and have claimed it dead. It's now just a matter of time (and a race) for them to roll out their AT&T killer 4G.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »

If the suit against MS for internet explorer is legit, then the case against apple is legit.

Ironically in PH apple has an exclusive agreement with Globe and it probably hurt them here Smiley.
Also it is locked into the Globe network no one here will buy a locked phone Smiley
That is one of the major reasons i did not buy one.
And no one bitches about that Cheesy People here like a pre-paid plan. You can also buy a brand new sim card with 50 free texts for like a $1.
PH is like the texting capital of the world. They send like 10x more texts then everyone else.
It has to do with culture.
People will like write thier cell numbers allong with thier first name in the sand on the beach in front of my house looking for textmates.
Where people are "shy" and "none confrontational" texting is the perfect medium.
So if u meet a chick, u ask her if she wants a text mate. Then when she turns psycho after 2-3 months and starts stalking you, you can buy a new sim card Cheesy
That is why u do not tell her where u live. So that way u know if she turns crazy and starts calling you at 3am, then u probably never want her to know where u live Smiley
Also if you "date" a girl and then u dump her. The family might get really pissed at you. Luckily it was decided that the girl was a "pok pok" because she was dating a married man.

Honestly Apple has a good product for American market that is why they are successful.
Ipods here really took off, but IPhone did not.
Cost is not an issue since the nokia high end models are just as expensive (if not more so) then the iphone.
Also there are complaints it is "too big". The complaint might be legit filipino hands are a lot smaller then most other people's hands Smiley

Gov't here does not waste it's time arguing about stupid shit like monopolies Smiley
They senate here has been arguing about some stupid shit about some "sex tapes" that some guy made and sold of famous actress.
Like all gov't they waste thier time talking about stupid shit, but at least it does not interfer with ur life Cheesy

Granted PH is a lot smaller. But the cell coverage is a lot better. A lot of it I think has to do with fierce competitiion.
A lot of these "rules" that supposedly protect the consumer are basically a form of protectionism for big companies and the consumer suffers.
I want to open a bar. I just get some tables build a roof and sell beer. Providing the neighbors do not get upset from the noise no one cares. Fuking cops come allong pay them off. How much does it cost to open a bar in USA ? liqour license etc. Is it really anymore safer ?

Senate should be debating about sex tapes. Total waste of time. But atleast it provides much more entertainment. And stops them from interfering in free enterprise.
In america instead of making a better cheaper product. It is much cheaper to bribe a senator donate money to a special interest group to investigate stupid crap like this.
At least filipino politicians are honest when they take a bribe they call it a bribe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript