The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye, Steve Jobs.  (Read 5616 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »

Steve Jobs died today at 56. Few details were available immediately but I'm sure more will come.

He changed the world 4 times, with the Apple ][, the Mac, the iPhone and the iPad. He was revered, loved, emulated, despised and feared but was certainly not ignored. His is a legacy that will live on for a long, long time. I have no idea who he was as a person, and I don't know if any of the contemporary literature does him real justice. But I know that much of who and what I am as a programmer and technology architect has been influenced by him and his accomplishments.

Best wishes to his family and loved ones he leaves behind.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »

Came as a shock to me just a few mins ago on CNN. I did not realize he was that ill.

He made a ton of people all around the world happy with his innovations.

Yah, a huge impact and a huge inspiration for the future.

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »

People also forget that he helped change children's movies. Pixar.

There are very few people who's death makes me even blink, let alone feel sad.
Douglas Adams for showing me books can be fun and frivolous does not mean unintelligent.
Isaac Asimov for showing me what real sci fi is.
Gates (when he does) for opening possibilities and giving me the tools to grow those possibilities.
Jobs for creating 3 revolutions that I am aware of, which all 3 directly affected my career path and intrests and now even daily life.

Note to the new leaders. Don't fuck it up.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »

Man - the tweets, Facebook posts, blogs, forums, news - given what all he championed, the way he did it - I am left wondering if I lived during the time of our generation's Leonardo da Vinci? It's wild how many focus on the tech achievements and surely, they are awesome. But one post I just read talked about him as a philosopher ... A visionary to whom tech was the medium and life was his canvas.

Can you honestly think of anyone that has advanced our notions and usage of technology in a comparable way? He may well go down as the greatest computer tech visionary/innovator of all time.

@nuts - nice post mate.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:21:38 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »

Great quote by Wolf on CNN: "There is probably no greater tribute to Steve Jobs than the notion of how many people learned of his death on devices he created. "

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »

From The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs (fakesteve.net)
I think I'll miss the entries in this satirical treasure trove almost as much as Steve.

<edit>I had it posted here, but better you read it at their blog. Check the link.</edit>
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:47:27 PM by perkiset » Logged

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »

Westboro Church ( ) threatens to picket Steve's funeral. Uh huh. You may remember these asshats as the folks that picket the funerals of servicemen and women who have fallen in Iraq and Afghanistan because we're letting gays and lesbians in the military and "God Hates Fags."

ROFLMAO I know it's inappropriate to be laughing but FFS this is too loony to pass up.

http://www.cultofmac.com/121613/westboro-baptist-church-puts-out-call-to-protest-steve-jobs-funeral-using-twitter-for-iphone/

Quote from: Westboro
Westboro will picket his funeral. He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin
... tweeted Margie Phelps with with no small amount of irony, from her iPhone.  D'oh!

Quote from: Cult Of Mac Blog
I donít think thereís a frickiní chance these jokers will get anywhere near Steve Jobsí funeral. The chances, in fact, of Steve Jobs having a public funeral are slim to none. If theyíre successful, though, they may very well bite off more than they can chew. Here at Cult of Mac, weíve seen incredible blowback in the past for even there being the perception that we are criticizing Steve. If these hateful tools even get within 1,000 feet of Steve Jobsí body, my guess is theyíll be sneezing spleen by the end of the day as a horde of the Apple faithful descend and rain blows down upon them.

Side note: Here are some of the best anti-Westboro signs, good for a laugh: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-3o-best-anti-westboro-baptist-church-protest-s
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:52:59 PM by perkiset » Logged

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »

This man, though he never knew me, was part of my life for the past 35 years, since I used my first Apple product in 1976.  (Even before Perks!  ha ha, buddy, had to say it...)  When I learned of Jobs' death the other day, I was shaken as if a close friend had died.  I was surprised how deeply it affected me.

I can't think of another individual in my lifetime who was, literally, a genius in so many complementary areas.  A technology genius, a marketing genius, a visionary, a business genius, and an incredible leader with a charisma -- aka "reality distortion field" -- that was legendary.  There are many people with "genius" in a specific area, but few with exceptional talents in such a broad swatch of disciplines.  He was also, reputedly, arrogant and difficult to work for.  Perhaps his arrogance was justified, in retrospect.

Anyway, I think Apple will do just fine for the foreseeable future, and probably beyond, without Steve, which is perhaps his final success story.  It's not anything like the company that he came back to all those years ago.

What does it say that arguably one of the greatest CEOs in the history of the world had no college degree or traditional business education?  Hmmm.

Rest in peace, Steve.  You changed the world.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 12:57:06 PM »

I like Obama's message on this:

"The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented."

Although from all I've said about Apple and Jobs in particular, this will probably seem strange coming from me. But it's seriously hard to discuss his passing without feeling a bit choked up. For all those things he did that I didn't agree with, he dedicated his life channeling his unique and unparalleled brilliance, manifesting some of the finest creations the world has ever seen. He drastically changed the course of history so powerfully that it will take many years for the world to catch up to where he was already standing. Without his contributions, we might all be staring at a command prompt - whether we liked it or not.

Rest in peace Mr. Jobs, and may your inspiration live on forever.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »

Although from all I've said about Apple and Jobs in particular, this will probably seem strange coming from me.

I don't think you've ever been characterized as a Jobs hater, so much as a critic of the Apple business plan and methodology.

Nice post ITTO and nice to have you about.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »

Just read through the other posts. Regarding the revolutions, definitely. Perhaps not overstating it, Steve Jobs:

• Made computers personal
  • Made them speak our language
  • Made them go wherever we go - sacrificing neither power nor pleasure
  • Made them respond to our touch so elegantly it became mainstream
  • Forever inverted how we perceive the computer's place in the universe: as our servants, not theirs

Nice post ITTO and nice to have you about.

Thanks perks Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »

Regardless of one's like/dislike for the results of his thinking, IMO the way he thought about his product, people and business were superb. Here is a snippet of a quote from an interview he did several years ago. This portion was about "product design." The bolded parts particularly stand out to me and the way I strive to do business:

We donít have good language to talk about this kind of thing. In most peopleís vocabularies, design means veneer. Itís interior decorating. Itís the fabric of the curtains and the sofa. But to me, nothing could be further from the meaning of design. Design is the fundamental soul of a man-made creation that ends up expressing itself in successive outer layers of the product or service. The iMac is not just the color or translucence or the shape of the shell. The essence of the iMac is to be the finest possible consumer computer in which each element plays together. ... That is the furthest thing from veneer. It was at the core of the product the day we started. This is what customers pay us for ó to sweat all these details so itís easy and pleasant for them to use our computers. Weíre supposed to be really good at this. That doesnít mean we donít listen to customers, but itís hard for them to tell you what they want when theyíve never seen anything remotely like it.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »

Design is the fundamental soul of a man-made creation that ends up expressing itself in successive outer layers of the product or service.

That should be added to Websters.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:59:25 AM »

That should be added to Websters.

Is there still a Webster's?   Wink  I mean, there's a really dusty one on my shelf that I haven't pulled out in years, but...

More seriously, I agree with your sentiment.  Few companies seem to get that "design" should be an integral part of every product from first conception to production, rather than being a slapped-on afterthought.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »

Great, legendary CEO ...too bad he was a dick.  I love the euphemism that's used to hint at the negatives surrounding him; 'prickly personality,' indeed.

Quit sniffling, perk. Dry those eyes.  Here's a cartoon to cheer you up!

http://mattbors.com/blog/2011/10/13/jobs-new-job/

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript