The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 01:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good iPhone / Apple news all around...  (Read 1630 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:26:31 AM »

I love the prediction that the "age of the exclusive iPhone contract is coming to an end..." and looking at the predictions, I'll bet Apple is excited about that as well...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/02/new_macs_iphone_expansion_predicted_to_boost_apple_revenue.html

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »

cool my 50 shares will allow me to retire.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »

This is most interesting to me:

For its part, AT&T noted that it played no role in the specific Google Voice iPhone application review process, although the company's agreement with Apple does reportedly require that it provide permission for any iPhone functionality to originate or terminate a VoIP connection on its network

... in this article: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/06/atandt-to-allow-skype-and-google-voice-to-operate-on-its-mobile-network/

Try as I might I cannot see a strategic move that would give Apple any benefit for denying Skype or Google voice - in fact, I can only see it helping their end game. If this is true, however, and there's a simple non-disclosure clause in the contract (for obvious reasons, like how much AT&T is subsidizing Apple etc) then it would be against Apple's agreement to either allow Skype without AT&T's explicit permission and against agreement to blame it on them.

I wonder how much chess is going on behind the scenes to prop up AT&T's horrible image...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »

See now - here's more fuel for that fire...

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/06/apple-and-skype-react-to-atandts-announcement-of-support-for-iphone-voip-services/

Apple welcomed the announcement. "We are very happy that AT&T is now supporting VOIP applications," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris. "We will be amending our developer agreements to get VOIP apps on the App Store and in customers' hands as soon as possible."

If my previous post is true, then this new statement would make clear sense of what's been going on, and why Apple would've taken the PR brunt of the issue. Note the cleverly crafted statement: "... AT&T is now supporting VOIP apps..." and "amending ... agreements to get VOIP apps ... as soon as possible..." - looks an awful lot like an explicit contract point kept Apple from going forward - but this broad statement from AT&T is clear permission for everything.

I'll betcha the whole Google voice thing was a catch-22 that Apple had to tiptoe.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:21:46 PM »

Note the cleverly crafted statement: "... AT&T is now supporting VOIP apps..." and "amending ... agreements to get VOIP apps ... as soon as possible..." - looks an awful lot like an explicit contract point kept Apple from going forward - but this broad statement from AT&T is clear permission for everything.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Gotta love those sneaky PR people. Let's see if MacRumors and other sites fall for it.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript