The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 05:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good editorial on why Apple will *have* to recall the iPhone 4  (Read 1826 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »

Leander (the author) is often unapologetically pro-Apple, regardless of argument. This is refreshingly objective, IMO, and outlines where Apple will probably need to issue a huge mea culpa and do something to protect the brand, which is steadily more in danger with the un-handled exceptions of the iPhone 4.

I love mine - Nuts and I decided today that our iPhone 4s are just small iPads. With the same phone capability. They need to fix that. While working through an issue today we got dropped what, like 6 times because the phone's proximity sensor is not set correctly and, while in my pocket, the phone either disconnects, starts face time or dials numbers as it mistakenly senses input. It's a brilliant device, but needs to be a better phone. I'd really like to hope that Apple will respond in the grown up way here, rather than in their now-typical We Didn't Phuque Up kind of way.

"I Did Not Have Sex with That Woman." Hmmm.

http://www.cultofmac.com/pr-experts-iphone-4-hardware-recall-is-inevitable/50565

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »

OK. Virtually every company I know prunes and tailors what is listed in Facebook, their blogs or comments about them.

But doing it right now re. the Consumer Reports article is just BAD BAD BAD. The worst of the Apple corporate personality is really showing itself on this one. Do they not imagine that, like, the whole WORLD is not looking at them now? Stupid. Stupid and arrogant.

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-censoring-discussion-forums-ref-consumer-reports/50597

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »

I must admit, all of this has given me pause.  I am still waiting for the call that "my" iPhone 4 has arrived at my local Radio Shack (yeah, I hate RS, but was gonna take advantage of their trade-in deal.)  But now I'm wondering if I should just hold off, since I am wondering if there won't be a hardware change at some point real soon to reduce or eliminate the attenuation problem.

I do use my 3GS as a phone, frequently (imagine that!) and if the iPhone 4 is a lousy phone in its current incarnation, maybe I should hold off upgrading until they've gotten it right.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:11:46 AM »

See, you need to buy a microcell and plug it in wherever you go. That way you can drop calls, but can now blame you crappy phone service on you crappy cable provider.

The way I look at it. Either it will get fixed, or apple will get sued and it gets fixed. Maybe even before iPhone 6 comes out!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »

My concern is more for Apple's rep, which risks taking a huge beating if they don't start behaving better. I have a bad feeling for the stock value in then next couple weeks or months...

Conversely, this might be just what the company needs ...  To be knocked down just a twitch from the stellar heights they've been at. Might make them hungrier again, rather than so easily arrogant.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:08:46 AM »

Conversely, this might be just what the company needs ...  To be knocked down just a twitch from the stellar heights they've been at. Might make them hungrier again, rather than so easily arrogant.
Yeah, it seems that Apple performs their best when they are the underdog.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript