The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gizmodo Jason Chen got raided over iPhone4  (Read 4565 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »

http://4sp.in/37v

wow, some judge is in for a heap o hurt me thinks.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:34:02 AM »

I thought what Gizmodo did in this whole episode was so sleazy that I blocked access to their web site on my network.  I have no desire to access their site (or make them money by doing so.)  So I can't read the article.

But from the title of the article (which is contained in the URL) I think I like it.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:40:38 AM »

You have an odd definition of "sleaze".

hai
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »

You have an odd definition of "sleaze".

Knowingly buying stolen property to report on it, and then "outing" the victim (with no apparent purpose other than to cause further shame and embarrassment to the guy)  doesn't seem to me like "sleazy" is an odd word to apply.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »

You're either lying or just not nearly as entrepreneurially-minded as I am if you wouldn't have done nearly the same thing.

If they hadn't outed the guy, Apple could have fired him quietly. They probably saved his job, but we'll never know.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »

As reporters, they did nothing wrong. Informants are commonly paid for information. Sometimes its a good meal, sometimes its $5k. On top of it, journalists, and their equipment are protected from seizure. This must be absolute, since otherwise, it can be skirted around by law enforcement. If a journalist is not protected, we will never again hear of judges, sheriffs, cops, lawyers, being bad and abusing power, for fear of retribution.

The details of the information acquisition and release of it are not quite as scummy as it sounds in the noise of the blogosphere, but it was probably towards the far end of the pool.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »

You're either lying or just not nearly as entrepreneurially-minded as I am if you wouldn't have done nearly the same thing.

I'm not trying to start something here, but I don't believe I'm less "entrepreneurially-minded."  What I am is honest.  If I found someone's phone in a bar, I'd turn it over to the bartender so that when the guy came back looking for it, it'd be there.  Or I'd look for a phone number in the phone that I could call and get it back to him.

If I realized that it was actually a prototype phone, potentially worth a lot of money to someone, I'd probably be less likely to just hand it to the bartender; if I couldn't find some contact info on the phone that could connect me to the owner, I'd turn it in to the police.  What I wouldn't do is try to profit from something that didn't belong to me.

I'd hope that returning the phone and not by (supposedly) calling Apple's support line, what a crock! is what any decent person would do.  It's a sad statement on our society that ethical people are becoming an endangered species.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:03 PM »

It's a sad statement on our society that ethical people are becoming an endangered species.

Should be a wake-up call, but obviously it's not.  We zombie on, blaming the "evil" press for failing to respect my secret desire for wealth and power human decency.  Damn them  Roll Eyes  Well, just damn anyone but get yer damn paws off my limiting fixed beliefs  ROFLMAO

I will say that Gizmodo didn't have to out the individual in this but after reading vs's post I reconsidered.  He's probably right.  Gizmodo may have saved his job, if not temporarily, through their relentless pursuit of the story.  But again the press is a red herring.  The bar incident with the "careless birthday boy" is yet another red herring.  The elephant pooping in the backyard is Apple, indirectly, imho.

and not by (supposedly) calling Apple's support line, what a crock!

Actually Apple support confirmed this call.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:31:19 PM »

It's a sad statement on our society that ethical people are becoming an endangered species.
Ethical according YOUR standards. Remember that there's no ethical, right, wrong, moral or any other of that moral judgement stuff people are so keen to throw at each other. I'm not defending Jason in anyway, I'm just saying that it's really narrow point of view to judge other people based on your standards because other people might have different standards.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »

Well, we've established that in any case, it's Apple's fault according to you ITTO.

I think there are two things here. I totally get Davy8or's point and agree: ethical people are really becoming a rarity. Looking for MY 15 minutes of fame or a quick way to score some cash trumps simple honesty or a bit of empathy.

Apple has every right to want to keep their stuff private, it's silly to deny otherwise. The responsibility they have to share holders, themselves and of course the wolves at the door (don't ignore the fact that Google et al are looking for anything they can to get a leg up, let's be honest) makes it so that their secrecy makes perfect sense and is clearly an important piece of business juice. Honestly: Nuts and I have scored some SERIOUS juice researching through cloud construction and the medical field. If anyone here thinks we'd just go public because it's better for everyone else, or if you were in our same shoes you would, you're deluded.

I agree that the press did nothing wrong at the same time, purchasing the phone, however "wrong" is really in the eyes of the beholder. And the thought that this whole stink may have saved the guys job is a LUCKY "also" ... Chen made it clear in earlier articles that he had no moral issue about it, no responsibility to anyone except to his readers, so all of his activities were in the service of them and his popularity. Saint? Atruist? True journalist? I think not. This whole thing is a comedy that stinks like Payback with Mel Gibson - there are really no good guys at all, only  different people to root for, and less shitty people to hold up as "slightly less black."

It's pathetic. There are so many players that are stained in this affair it's wrong (IMO) to attribute blame to one place ... and most wrong of all to not place blame with the "reading public"  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO for creating the vacuum that created Chen.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »

Ethical according YOUR standards. Remember that there's no ethical, right, wrong, moral or any other of that moral judgement stuff people are so keen to throw at each other. I'm not defending Jason in anyway, I'm just saying that it's really narrow point of view to judge other people based on your standards because other people might have different standards.
This is true. However to be in Chen's shoes and care not save his readerships' enjoyment borders on sociopathic, which is both unbound to ethical notions and endemic of people today. Narcissism and a sort of sociopathy-lite seems to surround us.

It is not an ethical query to simply ask, "Who will I damage by walking this particular path?"

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »

It is not an ethical query to simply ask, "Who will I damage by walking this particular path?"
Actually that's my only guideline. When somebody gets hurt, that's where I draw the line.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »

Ergo, "sleaze" and "unethical" if I may be so bold as to paraphrase Daviator's words.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 06:18:25 AM »

I'm not trying to start something here, but I don't believe I'm less "entrepreneurially-minded."  What I am is honest.  If I found someone's phone in a bar, I'd turn it over to the bartender so that when the guy came back looking for it, it'd be there.  Or I'd look for a phone number in the phone that I could call and get it back to him.

If I realized that it was actually a prototype phone, potentially worth a lot of money to someone, I'd probably be less likely to just hand it to the bartender; if I couldn't find some contact info on the phone that could connect me to the owner, I'd turn it in to the police.  What I wouldn't do is try to profit from something that didn't belong to me.

I'd hope that returning the phone and not by (supposedly) calling Apple's support line, what a crock! is what any decent person would do.  It's a sad statement on our society that ethical people are becoming an endangered species.

No man I can respect that.

I'm honest too.

Honest enough to admit that I would have most likely done nearly the same thing LOL

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 09:00:24 AM »

ethical people are really becoming a rarity.

I wonder why Huh?  Perhaps it's just easier to follow the herd  Undecided  Stay calm everyone, I'm sure Apple will save us  ROFLMAO

Well, we've established that in any case, it's Apple's fault according to you ITTO.

"Fault" is a bit strange.  Did Apple create the situation we now write about?  Duh.  Will a teenager wind up having these things happen?  Duh.  Will the press do the very same things if possible?  Duh.  So it's nobody's "fault" but everybody should expect this to happen.  With great power comes great responsibility, says Spider Man.  The press become more impotent everyday and the kid in this performance is hardly a bit part.  The player with the highest probability to change these outcomes is Apple - but that doesn't mean Apple "should" change anything, imo. 

It's just so warped to hear that people actually feel the press should have behaved differently here.  Count on it people.  And don't think Barnie Madoff being locked up solves anything about the underlying problems that permitted his existence.  That "fault" belongs to us, the happy, sleeping, stingy herd looking to point fingers at all but ourselves

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript