The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 01:46:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flash and iPhone wtf  (Read 1602 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »

OK seriously, What in the everloving fuck is wrong with apple?

Adobe just announced Flash 10.1 for basically every single smart phone, except the iPhone.
Apparently apple is being ZERO help to adobe.

This is a major point of confusion for me. I really cannot fathom an even remotely legitimate concern on Apple's part.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 11:50:34 PM »

Tablet and semi-control where people surf?

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »

Smells bad. Dunno, but it's not a good sign.

Neither is the Apple purchase of a mapping company and the widening divide between Apple and Google.

Could we be seeing the genesis of another proprietary moment and the protectionist fervor that caused the malaise of the 90s?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:29:15 AM »

yep, i was thinking the same thing.

I get it, they want to protect their brand, and their product/function is their brand. But comeon. This is just retarded. something like 15% of sites use flash for some form of core functionality, this is just silly.

Is it ATT maybe? with flash there would be NO way to stop hulu for example, which i think would probably kill ATT crap ass network.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »

Hmm, possibly, but I think it's more of a processor issue. There's no real reason to deny Flash (except for bandwidth) from an iPhone - I mean, H.264 is already streaming so WTF?

That said, when I read through the docs of developing for the iPhone it was clear how much they want me to stay away from the processor (even made more obvious by the lack of true background apps). Flash is a well known hog - for both processor and memory. It was designed originally for desktops and it's only gotten bigger. Note this point from the release:

Flash Player 10.1. is the first consistent runtime release of the Open Screen Project that aims to enable uncompromised Web browsing of expressive applications, content and high definition (HD) videos across devices. Using the Web programming model of the Flash platform, the browser-based runtime enables designers and developers to reuse code and assets and reduce the cost of creating, testing and deploying content across different operating systems and browsers.

The browser-based runtime leverages the power of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) for accelerated video and graphics while conserving battery life and minimizing resource utilization. New mobile-ready features that take advantage of native device capabilities include support for multi-touch, gestures, mobile input models, accelerometer, and screen orientation.

Flash Player 10.1 will also take advantage of media delivery with HTTP streaming (think YouTube), including integration of content protection powered by Adobe Flash Access 2.0. This effort, code-named Zeri, will be an open format based on industry standards and will provide content publishers, distributors and partners the tool they need to utilize HTTP infrastructures for high-quality media delivery in Flash Player 1.01 and Adobe AIR 2.0 software.

... clearly, they understand it's a problem and are going to address it. I'm wondering if the omission of Apple from the release was more of a spanking than anything else, because if it's all open standards and such then Apple will certainly be able to integrate it.

Who knows? But I don't think this story is over yet...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript