The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:29:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First real iPhone challenger?  (Read 4609 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:47:08 AM »

Here may be the first real challenger to the iPhone's current technical dominance, albeit there are some elements of it that may not have the same buzz factor. Good read and an interesting window on what's to come IMO.

http://cultofmac.com/motos-android-may-be-stronger-iphone-rival/4076

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »

Hard to say.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007853.html
I have seen that model already in the shops around here.
IPhone has made a made an agreement with local provider here, but i think thier iphone is locked, which is a big nono here.
Also nokia in asia is already king (major status symbol).
I am not sure if it confirmed but iphone will run qtopia.

Then again it depends on what most consumers use thier cellphone for.
Like with me a crappy $50 model, with a little flashlite built in is more then enuff for what i need.
Also when i go to the beach, no need to worry if i lose it etc.

On the other hand, most users in PH use thier cell/portable computing device.
for listening to music, watching movies, playing games, as a small desktop almost.
So that is where the opensource comes in.
Lots of shit is opensource, but biggie with QT is that it is 100x easier to use then what ever Apple has to offer.
15 years of docs, much more mature, developers already familiar with it etc.

So who knows Smiley
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »

As much as I love FOSS and phone competition, nop's starting to sound like a broken record.

ROFLMAO

hai
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »

pretty simple VS.
People use thier cellphones/pocketpc for more then just calling.

Make an app for apple that only runs on apple, and u have to follow stupid apple rules.
Make an app for nokia, that can run without any modification at the speed of compiled code on desktop (linux and windows) wince devices, nokia devices and any other device that adopts qt platform.

Features wise iphone again is falling behind, about the only thing mac has is thier cult like following.
Like mac browsers from what i read are buggier and have more security breaches then IE.

Whether is was portable gaming systems, PC what ever the war was always won because of who had the most apps.
Gameboy was a sack of shit, but people buy it because it had the most games.
VHS vs BETA same story. VHS is a shit format. BETA was much better.
But since VHS managed to convince more movie producers to use thier format .....

I myself buy a macbook. In fairness it offers the most bang for the buck.
But despite all the hype, OSX offers little if anything that ubuntu offers, except having out of date packages, so u have to waste your time compiling everything from source.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »

Make an app for apple that only runs on apple, and u have to follow stupid apple rules.
Make an app for nokia, that can run without any modification at the speed of compiled code on desktop (linux and windows) wince devices, nokia devices and any other device that adopts qt platform.
Make an app for Apple and you get the benefit of the buzz.
Make an app for Nokia and your potential audience is people that still say, "Live long and prosper."
I argue again, the processor, API, technology is all meaningless and the developer is immaterial. It's about buzz and your mom wanting it. If that doesn't happen, the technology is simply a commodity again.

Features wise iphone again is falling behind, about the only thing mac has is thier cult like following.
Like mac browsers from what i read are buggier and have more security breaches then IE.
ROFLMAO Just Apple hate. The iPhone was never the big tech schwing, but it is hardly falling behind. In fact, last month's sales beat RIM for the first time. And it seems pretty clear that Apple is the company with the big forward momentum ATM... 2 years from now, when the next Android deployment hits the streets and manages to live up to *today's* iPhone, Apple will have moved yet again. Just like when Zune got released just as Apple was almost ready to let the MP3 player market go LOL

Whether is was portable gaming systems, PC what ever the war was always won because of who had the most apps.
Gameboy was a sack of shit, but people buy it because it had the most games.
VHS vs BETA same story. VHS is a shit format. BETA was much better.
But since VHS managed to convince more movie producers to use thier format ...
You're living in the past man. It was the system that had the most apps because that was the only real component of the game. Tech is passe. Number of apps are just assumed. Interoperability is assumed. All essential capability is assumed. What is left is marketing and cache.

I myself buy a macbook. In fairness it offers the most bang for the buck.
But despite all the hype, OSX offers little if anything that ubuntu offers, except having out of date packages, so u have to waste your time compiling everything from source.
LOL man you miss the point entirely. Ubuntu is perfect for you, no argument. It's also excellent for VSloathe. But the Mac is perfect for the vast vast number of people that AREN'T you. Your real problem here is that you perceive the world and marketing and technology through your eyes and requirements - which, just like mine, are WAY WAY out of band from the norm. What we do, and how we do it - Apple could care less about us, and rightfully so - we don't want to spend money.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:33 PM »

...Apple could care less about us, and rightfully so - we don't want to spend money.

Indeed sir.

But our clients do. Loads of it Smiley

I have friends who work at Oracle. Oracle's salaries make Google's salaries look like a ripoff. Why? It's not because Oracle has successfully sold lots of home users on its products.

But then, there are all sorts of niches and Apple is doing just fine in its niche: People who can't accomplish menial tasks like turning on a computer, or people who don't have the patience to wait for one to boot.

Grin

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »

Ooooh! Oooh! A call to arms!  ROFLMAO

Well, you're right in a certain way - and that is that Oracle has made a metric shitload of boodle on it's product, and all to business people. But there are a lot more people who simply need a computer, or a phone, than there are folks that need an Oracle database.

Apples target is simply different. And since I use a Mac and am an exWindozer as well as an exKDE and exGnome user, I can tell you that it kicks the shit out of all 3 quite handily.

Smooch

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »

Im actually interested in seeing when someone ports android to the iPhone. Mostly for shits and giggles. That would be a fair compare, since it would be same exact platform to compare the OSs. because currently the shortcoming android seems to have is the crappy handsets.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 08:09:29 AM »

@ crappy handsets... that's what is going to get trounced with this next phone I think. Should be interesting

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:33 AM »

Apples target is simply different. And since I use a Mac and am an exWindozer as well as an exKDE and exGnome user, I can tell you that it kicks the shit out of all 3 quite handily.

Smooch

Fortunately, BASH beats them all.  Wink

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »

No way man, it's KSH.

KIDDING! KIDDING! Wink Funny how you and I are such command prompt boys. Doesn't matter how much things advance on the GUI front, I still don't feel comfy unless I have a bunch of terminal windows open.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »

Mice are clumsy. Unwieldy. And this is from a guy who's spent countless hours in his teen years blasting through FPSes with a mouse.

At my day job, I brought in one of my Razer gaming mice because the mice they provided are way too slow and insensitive.

I like to keep both hands on the keyboard as much as possible, even in a GUI.

hai
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »

>challenger

Yeah, but it'd better hurry as A's marketshare is fast approaching black-hole status.

===========
Since the iPhone 3G’s July debut, Apple (AAPL) has sold 6.9 million of the devices.

The company is now the world’s third largest mobile phone supplier in terms of revenue after Samsung and Nokia. “Apple beat RIM,” Jobs said.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20081021/rim/
=========

That said, didn't I see something about android phones requiring activation or somesuch via gmail. If true, that's pretty a diabolical way of inject G's marketshare into the mobile world.

BTW, I don't own an iphone as I rarely even use the cell I have now ...maybe 20 minutes per month.  BUT, if an android could give me a decent pocket browser for occasional use on the cheap, yeah, I'd go for it.

mightycitizen
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 08:44:16 AM »

i regulary use computers n internet and personally very happy with iphone (just like another comp for me). i love iphone.  Mobster

No links in signatures please
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript