The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:14:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First major FAIL of iPad Safari....  (Read 3727 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »

Hey Nuts ... Try to administer your pfSense box with the iPad ... Their HTML drop down menus are LIs that drop all based on CSS not JS and the pad doesn't see the mouseover event ... If you touch and hold (like other places that mouseover/hover can be vectored) it simply selects the area above or below. Can get to any of the menus.

Would love to hear if you figure a way around this one ...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »

Shitty workaround: manually type in the management URLs and make bookmakrs of them, add to folder for pfSense. Of course this will only work per server, but it's at least a doable.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »

Agreed but you can change the theme. Underrated system, general settings, theme, you can select the PFSENSE theme which uses a no CSS sidenav.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:27:37 PM »

Do you mean iPad Safari doesn't see #id:hover or? The problem with hover is that how do you simulate it with touch? Can't be keeping finger on the div because that's same as longer press when clicking which can be used to invoke help or submenu. This is why average Flash app is problematic with touch because they usually rely on cursor hover.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »

Not sure since I haven't looked at the code, but I can't get the menu to pop no matter what I try.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »

Thus far what I've read is that the pad will see rollover on a link, but not simple CSS.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 10:13:48 PM »

Thus far what I've read is that the pad will see rollover on a link, but not simple CSS.
Hmm, that's weird indeed. I hope that gets fixed soon because it probably criples quite a few sites now.

IMO designers should avoid all hover based functionality. Web page should have clear enough links/buttons to survive without mouse interaction. Not just because of iPad but because it's the way all browsers work. Then you can build up more functionality once you can verify visitor's browser supports them. Web is getting more fragmented and it's been used in different places and with different devices so in the future having a web site that's been designed only for mouse is pretty lame in my opinion.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »

Agree. The notion of event on hover vs. event on click is really lame, since there's nothing in current GUI OSs that train us to think that way. Event on click translates easily to any number of metaphors, including a keyboard interface, mouse and finger.

Nutballs Theme trick did it ... but really, that's just a lucky card.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 10:28:57 PM »

IMO designers should avoid all hover based functionality. Web page should have clear enough links/buttons to survive without mouse interaction. Not just because of iPad but because it's the way all browsers work. Then you can build up more functionality once you can verify visitor's browser supports them. Web is getting more fragmented and it's been used in different places and with different devices so in the future having a web site that's been designed only for mouse is pretty lame in my opinion.

hehe. I have forced website designs in this direction since day one. I have always thought that hover actions, and even click to fly outs, are a hack and not really of value. I guess that worked out in my favor.

On a side note. I have been starting to wonder if web development as we know it is about to die. Why have a website, when you could have an app? The web would transition back to its original usage, interlinking of data. Not what it is now, selling shit to people. Dammit, i better ramp up my spam and squeeze it before it dies... lol

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »

Language and viewport abstraction. I don't want to write apps for a specific platform, regardless of how sexy they are. Fair enough, I'd like others to, but that's beside the point. 

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:08 AM »

On a side note. I have been starting to wonder if web development as we know it is about to die. Why have a website, when you could have an app? The web would transition back to its original usage, interlinking of data. Not what it is now, selling shit to people. Dammit, i better ramp up my spam and squeeze it before it dies... lol
Well yes and no. The project I'm working on is basically based on my thoughts how I see the future of the web so I have been thinking this stuff a lot for the past year.

Sproutcore and other "web frameworks" are trying hard to push this whole "forget website, make an app" ideology but it's not going to work like they want it to. The answer lies on basec human perception molded by physical world. If you want to transfer information about company, product or anything else to another person, you speak. Writing is just another way of speaking. So now if you build an app that conveys that information, you are basically fucking up the flow because you are building unnecessary barriers between the person and the info. Websites are hard-core boiled down way of conveying information and I believe it will take a lot for it to lose it's "the best" status. Conveying information is an art and I still haven't seen any website that masters it. The problem is that the people who know how to concise and transfer information don't have the means to do it. This just means that there isn't any tool available to create necessary functions needed. They exist but usually these people don't know about them and using them takes just too much effort. The biggest problem is still the rest of the people who know how to use those tools but have no idea whatsoever how to convey information in concise form.

Web is about to enter a whole new era. There will be a whole new type of fragmentation in user groups. You'll have your mobile users which can be break down in different groups as well based on what their mobile device supports, there will be desktop users with huge power at their disposal and there will be various ways to control (not just mouse and touch). Another thing is that if your information doesn't have standard API access, you are going to be fucked. We will finally move from innovation stage to production stage. We will keep innovating but most of the technology needed for the next step is already here, now it's a question of implementation. At this very moment there's no technological barrier between the vision and reality, only time that it takes to lay it down as code. I believe that in 5 years you'll look at this time and feel the same way about it than what young people feel now about the 70s. It feels so static, old and slow. Sadly fragmentation will also show here.. there will be the users of new web and the users of old web. Old web means basically how you are using the web right now and most people will be stuck there for a long time. But thank god future is backwards compatible so it doesn't matter really. People who embrace the new will be able to live less stressful life with faster pace. Everybody has the same amount of time per day but the ones who have parallel time at their disposable are the winners.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript