The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 05:40:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Apple iPad sales estimates top predictions  (Read 1351 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2010-04-04-apple-ipad-sales_N.htm

LOS ANGELES Huge crowds descended upon Apple stores over the weekend to buy the new iPad, which sold better than initial predictions.  Gene Munster, an analyst with Piper Jaffray, estimates first-day opening sales at between 600,000 to 700,000 units. He had projected sales of 200,000 to 300,000 originally.

"The lines were much longer than we anticipated," he says. "The hype really helped Apple."

So after all the groaning about Jobs and his "bogus" hype, was it really bogus after all?  Does it even matter if the damn thing is good, worth the money or desirable to own?  Hell no!  Good God it's an Apple device man!  Cool compels us... cool compels us.  Roll Eyes

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »

classic symptoms of herd behaviour
cause the herd to think that there is a shortage of said item.
herd then thinks said item is desirable, it must be, since there is a shortage.

"herd behaviour" is a major cause of artificial bubbles in markets, and ultimately ends up in stock market crashes.

The herd also likes to huddle together and tell each other things are going to be all right.
So even if the product is a total POS, the first members of the herd will not admit said product is total POS.
This in turn encourages more herd members to buy more of product.

Buying first generation product sight unseen is totally retarded.
it reminds me of when people lined up to buy windoze 95,98 etc.
ironically the herd now thinks M$ is totally evil, while when Apple does same shit it is good.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:21:44 PM »

Bahhhhh bah. Me sheeple. (posted from my iPad )

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »

ROFLMAO too bad you cant get one in PH yet ... Envy is so unattractive

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:34:01 PM »

>Buying first generation product sight unseen is totally retarded.

ROFLMAO  That's classic.  I'd add thought that enthusiasts with money to burn may not be totally retarded, assuming I also am not totally retarded.  They behave much like I do every time I tard-out, buy a game sight unseen, and predictably regret the choice 50% of the time.  Sometimes buying a game for me is like others who flush their cash down the gambling toilet or, for example, throw almost $1000 at a "must have" new Man Toy with iFuzzyFeaturesTM.

Besides, who else do we have to beta test this shit?  ROFLMAO  Without people like this, other more discerning shoppers might have wound up sucker-punched by a Newton  Grin

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript