The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 02:27:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney turns iPad into interactive game board  (Read 3091 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »

This is damn cool: http://www.cultofmac.com/115973/disney-is-about-to-turn-your-ipad-into-an-interactive-game-board/

the 'pad recognizes which car you've got on the pad and builds a free-form playing game underneath you. Note the shadow of the truck, the headlights, interacting with stuff on the "board..." it's a pretty novel application and I think it's got some legs, if even as a prototype for something else. But I like it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »

yea i just posted about this too on my blog. I am curious how it will affect my girl's play. She has entire stories of cars stuff that she creates. I think this will augment that, giving her more options, and scenarios. In the end, she will play it to death, then move back to her real cars. imaginary world is much more diverse than anything a programmer can come up with.

still getting it for me her.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:02 AM »

I'll look forward to your experiences with her. I wonder if it's a cool tech trick by marketing guys or really is attractive to young'ns. My guess is that Disney would have focus grouped this to death, but who knows?

This would have been *awesome* on the M$ tabletop. The play area is OK on a pad, but with a couple feet in either direction that'd have been pretty great.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »

Here's another step in the same direction, and quite clever: other game pieces that interact with the iPad. Chess, classic game boards and such:

http://www.firebox.com/product/4788/iPawn-Games

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »

Oh yea. I forgot to post about this.

It's cool. It works, though not pectin. It seems to lose contact. Probably could soup it up with better contacts, but it works nevertheless.

Turn the car and the direction of travel changes. Just like the video actually, but a bit more picky about the contacts.

The added bonus is that it also put white boxes on the screen under the car, and the car has light-pipes in it to make the headlights tail lights and roof number light up.

The ipawns are a decent idea too,but Icahn see it being frustrating if the pads don't work right.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript