The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crackberry API vs iPhone: Great Article  (Read 2331 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »

This guy wanted to build a podcast listener for the Blackberry line:

http://www.versatilemonkey.com/story.html

... it's a pretty damning tale for the blackberry API and store, and has all the usual suspects (different features/capabilities by phone, multiple datapaths and mechanisms by carrier AND by frequency, little to no UI help, store doesn't want to play with the little guy...). It's too bad, because with the number of crackberries out there, they should have their programming ducks more in a row. They'd scream. In the current incarnation, it looks like a loser. Not many people are going to want to work that hard.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »

It is not really fair to compare the 2 perks.
It is like comparing a Model T Ford with latest model of ford.

I remember checking out programming palm pilots.
Because of the size of the device, there was no difference between "exe" memory and memory allocated by the program itself.
To read/write to memory you had to "lock" the block of memory. Read/Write then unlock it.
This is because the device could move arround blocks of memory when it was not locked.
Sounds stupid now
But when u only had something like 1Meg to work with total, there was not much left for something like a memory paging system or other advanced OS systems.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:37:22 PM »

Hold tight, not comparing the phone platform, but the deployment of a development framework. IMO, it was unwise for Blackberry to develop different APIs, features, transmission methods, UI restraints etc for different phones because they hindered mass adoption of (the developed app). This is a problem for them because they have so many different levels of phones, with different features - but it makes the developers work hard.

And we all know that if it's hard for the developer, they will go elsewhere. Because we're all lazy, want to develop it once and then go surf pr0n. Natch, the reason that OO programming looks like boobies.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »

Because we're all lazy, want to develop it once and then go surf pr0n. Natch, the reason that OO programming looks like boobies.

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

OO Cheesy

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »

Again perks I agree what you are saying but ......

Back in 1999 when the blackberry platform started it was just basically a fancy cellphone.

Then pocketpc and palm pilots came along there.
Because of miniturization someone got the smart idea put a pocketpc and a cellphone together.
So things like O2 where made. But again they kind of sucked because the OS was not really designed to mate the 2.
Also it was not really invisioned that people would be actually developing apps for these devices.
Also from the article one of the biggest problems the guy has is backwards compatibility.

With IPhone they have all the hindsight of pocket pc,palm pilots,blackberry etc.
I am pretty sure that in 5-6 years IPhone will have the same problems.

Contrary to popular belief the guy who brings a new idea to market is not in the best position.
For starters he has to "convert" people to adopting a new idea which costs money.
Most importantly he has no hindsight to aid him.
It is the guy who comes along in 3+ position who ussually ends up the winner.
Pretty much any field you look in this holds true.
From car manufactures, to search engines, to messaging, to cellphone to what ever Cheesy
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:38:11 PM »

Fair argument NOP.

I'd assert that Apple is trying to mitigate that sort of future (IMO) - but you're right, changing tech requires changed APIs ergo Newton apps don't work on the iPhone.

That said, if I were involved in development at RIM, I'd be ALL OVER trying to coalesce the current developer and API base into a real attack on the iPhone. At the moment, by adding new phones rather than trying to make it easier for developers to grow the richness of the current stock, they will lose ground even more rapidly. They have lost their cache - (that was cache with an acute E, not cache like our forum Smiley ) they are no longer the coolest thing on the rack. The way to do that will be better apps, better functionality - not release catch-up hardware that is not around long enough for the features to mature.

@ #3 - you perhaps remember the old OO truism - the 3rd time you write it you'll get it right. By some calculations, Apple is the third - I hope for them they press that advantage. Smiley

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:37:44 AM »

I don't know perks it is a great mystery  ROFLMAO
It is like the sharp zaurus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Zaurus
Light years ahead of its time.
Programming API, could not be more simpler. Linux based with QT Trolltech. So great toolkit etc.
I only learned about zaurus because at the time they came out I had a ipaq which I flashed to linux and installed the OPIE OS on it.
But it only worked 1/2 assed mainly because it was not designed for the ipaq. But what i saw was impressive.
I then tried to buy one of those devices, but at the same time Sharp and all japanese manufactures stopped selling PDAs in anywhere besides Japan.
A mystery Cheesy

I think part of the reason is that what people want in America people might not want in Asia/Europe etc.
Problem is in asia it is very hard to get proper statistics.
IPhone is definetly gaining market share in USA http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=892
But asia I do not know. Just from a casual glance around I have not seen anyone using a iphone.
I think in America definetly apple will dominate.

You might say asia does not matter 10 years ago that was 100% true.
But i just got back from manila, I have not been there for over a year. Hard to believe but there are even more people working in call centers and they can not keep up with the demand. You now see a lot more "trendy kids" etc Smiley.
The thing is young people here even if they make less then thier USA counterparts have a lot more disposable income $$$ for $$$.
Traditionally here you live with your parents until you are married. So even if you only make $500 - 1K a month you give mom like $100 and you now have $400 - $900 to spend as you wish.
Between indonesia/Philippines and Malaysia you have probably 700 million people. From that maybe 50-100 million belong to this new class.
So even if nokia is losing share in america if they pick it up in pacific asia .........
I imagion the same story is happening in india  another 1 billion people. so maybe 50-100 million young indians with a large disposable income.

I have no idea perks Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript