The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: counterpoint to the apple circlejerk today  (Read 1543 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220090247124%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20090247124&RS=DN/20090247124

http://gawker.com/5343046/a-steve-jobs-confession-a-fanboy-shock

insidiously evil

I'm rethinking buying a 3Gs, but meh I know I'll eventually succumb against my principles and my better judgement since, hey "Everyone's got one"

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:45:46 AM »

You just hate them, but that's cool.

To characterize them as "evil" though is to ignore the fact that this is SOP for corporate America. Although you might see it this way, I cannot say that "Corporate America Is Evil." That's silly. They're a big corp with protectionist policies in an incredibly competitive and cutthroat niche. And they are just as competitive and cutthroat - perhaps better than most. The fanbois of Apple do need to look at this and remember whom and what they are.

All that said, I assert: "I Never. Had Sex. With. That. Woman."
They should've read the script before making the movie.

If there's anything here amazing to me it's that they've A) gone so long without getting bagged on some shit (because so many people want them to fail) and B) that they were stupid enough to actually get caught - uncharacteristic for them. In some ways, they're becoming the Sarah Palin of the tech-set: unprepared for a stage that is WAY WAY larger than they've ever been on ... it is too early to tell if they'll smarten up quickly and rise to the new station, or if they'll have their own miserable Katie Couric interview and seal their fate as an also ran.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »

Patenting the "technology" of restricting features in a device. lawl

I don't hate anyone, or at least not unduly. My opinions of people and entities are based entirely on their behavior. Apple displays behavior that is diametrically opposed to my interests (as do many companies), and thus I'm super-critical and highly-skeptical of them. Is that an inappropriate response? I don't think so. Also, abuse of the patent system in this way is indeed evil. Would I do it with my company? Hell yes I would. I don't begrudge anyone who's found a loophole as I would do the same. But I wouldn't complain when people label my company evil for doing it. My company is there to protect ME from having a guilty conscience, after all Smiley

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »

Patenting the "technology" of restricting features in a device. lawl

I don't hate anyone, or at least not unduly. My opinions of people and entities are based entirely on their behavior. Apple displays behavior that is diametrically opposed to my interests (as do many companies), and thus I'm super-critical and highly-skeptical of them. Is that an inappropriate response? I don't think so.
I agree - I don't discount your feelings or attitudes as your own - I'm commenting on the notion of "Evil." Let's talk about some real patent crap, like patenting DNA strands and such ... dood, the level of capitalism here is profound and frightening. Is it evil? By some accounts and perspectives... not at all by others. Personally, I find that notion repugnant, but I'm probably in the minority.

But I wouldn't complain when people label my company evil for doing it. My company is there to protect ME from having a guilty conscience, after all Smiley
It's not my company, nor am I complaining (well, fair disclosure, I do own a reasonable amount of AAPL stock...) simply trying to gain some balanced perspective. If you are of a position to say that our current business paradigm of rationalized self-interest cronyism capitalism is indeed "evil" to you, then I get it. My definition of evil is based on what is an exception to the norm. Evil, to me, is something that is simply way further out of the box than the majority of people find within their scope of capability. For example, so very, very many people find pedophilia horrible, disgusting, abusive and repugnant that we label it "evil." I don't find Apple's behavior that outside of the norm for large corporations, so I have a hard time with that label.

Now in fairness to you and the point, if I balance human needs in with corporate policies, then indeed corporate behavior is WAY outside of what I find to be humane, fair, values based - so it could EASILY be labeled evil. But that's a topic for another time. Perhaps over a nice IPA in November or something... Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:23 PM »

Oh yes, the market selection forces at work that *require* me to skirt the rules in every possible way in order to be competitive. That is at the core of my beef. I can never fault corporations for taking measures to be competitive, as I do the same thing. Some people would consider what corporations do with taxation to be "evil", or at the least aversive to responsibility, but you and I probably both agree that it's just being smart.

What's my solution? I don't have one. The market has demonstrated that it doesn't either, though.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript