The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome for the Mac released as BETA today...  (Read 2892 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:38:10 PM »

Go getcha some:

http://www.google.com/chrome

Installed perfectly, sucked up my Safari stuff perfectly, runs fast and lean. I have to put little snitch on it and watch for "inadvertent" web-calls to places I didn't request, but thus far pleased. I'm going to really put it under some test load later with my all JS control center apps - that'll tell me just how snappy it really is.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:39:33 PM »

I now use chrome as my browser. Fastest launch of all. Fast evrything else.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »

Thanks perks!!

I now use chrome as my browser. Fastest launch of all. Fast evrything else.

I'm still terribly annoyed by the rendering errors.  Therefore I'm unwilling to Chrome by default but sometimes I'll have it as my default when I'm deep into Force.com programming.  There's nothing on the planet that beats Chrome on performance.  When heavy JavaScript is involved, there's nobody even in the same performance universe as Chrome.  Google deserves this for that  Applause

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »

First results: Superb. JS is at least as fast, if not faster than Safari 4 for my web based apps. I've not seen any rendering issues, but I've not really put it to a CSS test either. My rather standard stuff is rendering just fine and quick as a whistle.

My next test will be to watch Flash ads and such overnight and see if she's a leaky bitch. Looks good so far though.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »

and see if she's a leaky bitch

ROFLMAO

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »

I used Chrome for a couple of days but switched back to Safari, which seems faster (and is faster, according to those who have done benchmarks, at least on a Mac.)  But Chrome will replace Firefox as my second-string browser.

I didn't find any wonderful and exciting features that made Chrome more compelling to me, though I didn't look that hard either.  It had some annoying characteristics too.  When the final version is released I'll take another look  although with Google, the distance from "beta" to "final" seems to often be measured in years.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 04:12:37 PM »

Isn't there search engine still in BETA?

My experience is becoming similar now that I've had more time with it - Chrome seems to be as fast as Safari or slower, depending on the function, but no faster. I've not had any major troubles with it and it doesn't look leaky, which is nice.

I can foresee it being a bigger threat in the future than it is ATM - it definitely has legs.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:23:35 AM »

Installing Google program on my computer... no thank you.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »

For certain tasks there's nothing that can touch it.  I'll cloud-develop all day long with it long before using FF, IE, or Safari - because I get twice as much done.  It's frustrating that certain things just don't render well with it because otherwise I'd make it my default browser.  Speaking of working well, IE 8 has rendering issues up the wazoo!  Damn what a nightmare of a browser IMO.  It's supposed to be the most secure but it looks terrible.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »

Ff gets bogged down by extensions.
Safari has no extensions.
Ie is a turd.
Chrome has extensions under beta and they do not seem to affect perf at all.

All i need now is wisestamp and woot alerts and I am golden.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »

Ff gets bogged down by extensions.
Safari has no extensions.
Ie is a turd.

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO Ditto  Well put nuts.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 12:40:41 AM »

Why Chrome has no NoScript ... anybody surprised?

Soon Google will release Chrome Advertising what will happen so that instead of using only the info on the page, Google uses also all the info the browser has collected from you to show ads. They don't even have to send the info anywhere so you won't be able to say that the browser is "calling home". All the info gets sent when you load page with Adsense on it. Same thing will happen with OS.

I guess nowadays it's not the ads you view to "pay" for your software but you pay with all your personal data.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript