The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:26:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charlie Miller to Expose 20 Zero Day Holes in OSX  (Read 1550 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:53:10 AM »

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/charlie-miller-to-reveal-20-zero-day-security-holes-in-mac-os-x/

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's come up with. In the past they've been pretty obscure and would be difficult to deploy. But I anticipate that as the Mac gains more ground there'll be more energy applied towards exploits. I think it's probably more linkbait and fluff than real workable holes, but it's going to be interesting in any case.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:25:14 AM »

how many ports does a mac have?
 ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »

Huh? Lost me on that one meng.

I thought this little compilation in response was nice:

We hear the same threats about Mac security every year. The Apple Haters trot out the same "security through obscurity" nonsense and no matter what, nothing happens. That obscurity argument is rather convenient for the Haters, right? I mean, no matter how much Mac market share grows, you can always just say that it's just not big enough yet. Yes, very convenient.

The only increase seems to be in the predictions.

"The truth is that the Mac OS is just as vulnerable as Microsoft Windows."—Lance Ulanoff, Security, IT Hub.

"Windows is more secure than you think, and Mac OS X is worse than you ever imagined."—Matthew Broersma, Techworld.

"The naming of Apple's Mac OS X to the list of latest warning from security experts to users that Apple's operating system is not immune to threats."—Robert Lemos, Security Focus

"Attacks on Apple's OS X operating system, thought by many who use the Mac to be virtually immune from hackers, are on the rise, according to a report from Symantec, an anti-virus software vendor."—Wired.

"Several security researchers have predicted that 2006 will be the year Mac OS X loses its image as a "safe" operating system."—Matthew Broersma, Techworld.

"Anti-virus software firm McAfee has identified Mac OS X as a growing target for malware attacks."—John Leyden, The Register.

"There will be a significant rise in virus attacks on both the Mac and open-source platforms, according to renowned security expert, Eugene Kaspersky."—Barry Collins, PC Pro.

"After years of relative safety in obscurity, the Apple Mac is becoming an increasingly tempting target for malicious computer hackers, according to a new report published this week."—Kevin Allison, Financial Times.

The reality is that the era of serene isolation is ending, partly because of technical changes that increase a Mac's vulnerability to infected documents-and even programs—originally created on a PC."—James Fallow, The Atlantic.

"With Apple's market share now around 8.5 percent and growing quickly, with sales of almost 2.5 million last quarter these Mac newbies are a tempting target for profit-minded cybercriminals."—Dwight Silverman, Chron.com.

"Macintosh computers have been gaining market share and catching the interest of hackers, according to Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) security vulnerability analyst Cameron Hotchkies."—Glenn Chapman, Yahoo.

"For years, Apple fans have claimed that Macs are invulnerable to attack, while belittling Windows as being full of security holes. Now the tables are turned."—Preston Gralla, Computerworld.

"According to a new article by CNN, Mac users now have something to worry about when it comes to security. Mac computers are known for their near immunity to malicious computer programs that plague PC’s."—Shawn Moniz, Shawn's Technology spot.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:13:44 PM »

USB port = a hole.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »

Ah  D'oh! man am I out of it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript