The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 08:05:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Callback to iPhone users  (Read 5838 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:33:48 PM »

Please post as soon as you hear that the Spirit jailbreak has been updated to 4.0.

I know blacksnow is there, just want the one-button goodness before I go. Thanks!

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »

I upgraded yesterday, wasn't using MyWi enough to justify waiting for a new jailbreak.  I'm very happy with the new OS so far, can't wait for more apps that can take advantage of the multasking/quick app switching.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »

i however have busted voicemail. every time i update, my voicemail breaks.  D'oh!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »

Have you un-jailbroke before you upgrade?

I'm holding off because I use MyWi daily (unless I concede and go back to my Sprint MiFi)

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »

nope. but I havent been jailbroken before, and I have always had the problem. I think my phone is just messed up.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »

Did you install that tethering hack a year or so ago?  Failing to properly uninstall that will cause voicemail problems (I found that out the hard way...) 

Hmm, as I'm writing this, I had the thought that I should make sure that my VM isn't screwed up.  It is, apparently... it's asking me for my voicemail PIN, which I've entered.  We'll see if that solves the problem, so far it doesn't seem to have.

My phone was previously jailbroken, btw, and I didn't bother to un-jailbreak it before upgrading, I figured the update would just overwrite everything, which it did.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »

OK, I'm red-faced now, as I've spent the last hour trying to get my visual voicemail to work and doing internet research on solutions.

Apparently this is the punishment we get for having jailbroken our phones.  The problem only affects those who jailbroke at some point.

I've just done a "restore to factory settings" on my phone and am hoping i can then restore from backup and things will work.  I'll let you know.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »

@ tether hack: Yep, did that one as well with my first phone and it fubarred my visual voicemail. Had to call AT&T to hook it back up, which they did pretty quickly.

Mighty frustrating though.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »

Apparently this voicemail problem is more complex.  Tons of folks on Apple's forums are having the problem, and AT&T is stymied.  It only affects folks who had previously jailbroken their phones, apparently.  So while it's definitely a bug from Apple, I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick solution from them given that all the folks experiencing the problem are in violation of their license agreement.

I restored the phone to factory settings and everything worked, including visual VM.  Now I'm restoring from my backup -- a very slow process - and hoping that doing so doesn't just reintroduce the VM bug.

Previous to all of this I tried mucking with the APN settings to no avail, as well as all the simple stuff:  resetting network settings, etc.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »

So - restore from factory then update and it's OK - but yeah, a might contain the logic that messed with the VM, huh? I'll be interested to see if that works.

Good luck mate.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »

FAIL.

After restoring from my backup, VM is hosed again.  I think I'm screwed.

Good thing I'm planning to trade up to an iPhone 4 in the very near future.  But I wonder if the problem will get propagated to the new iPhone if I transfer all of my stuff to it when I upgrade?  Ack.

Never gonna jailbreak again....
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »

dv8or- I don't have it right at the moment, but I am pretty sure you can look at the backup packages on your Mac and restore from a specific one ... It's probably as easy adjust deleting more current backup bundles. I'll give it a look tomorrow, but ill bet if you google it a bit you'll find it. Then perhaps you could restore to a date just before you jailbroke...

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 08:26:02 AM »

you have to restore to NEW.

you cant restore from a backup....

I did it 2 times before trying a fresh, no backup, restore. Plus the att guy told me that was the only way. He also hinted at that "a particular set of applications is know to cause this". I took that as jailbreaking.

As long as you have all your purchases transfered to your computer, you can just reinstall them all. the problem is your app specific data. But frankly, if your using apps that have important data on your phone, that do not sync to somewhere outside of itunes and the phone, you are phail as a paranoid nerd and should consider this a lesson learned Smiley  (i learned it a couple times so far... lol)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:28:12 AM by nutballs » Logged

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »

Mac backups for the iPhone (et al) are in (user)/Library/Application Support/Mobile Sync/(device)

The device folder is for each item that is being backed up on your version of iTunes. You can see each of the backups as they appropriate files are grouped by date. I've not done it yet, but if you move files out of position that are in front of the date you want (make sure iTunes is off when you do this or it'll follow the file) then the most recent backup in the list will be used. So if you know about when you JBd, you could go back to then and hopefully have better luck.

But I don't know, because I don't know if the JB code will be eliminated with the return to unJBd backup.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »

Thanks for the help.  I know I could restore from a pre-JB backup, it's just not my first preference since I'll lose all the application data since then, as well as SMS messages and the like.  But it's my fallback, assuming I have a pre-JB backup (I should, though I haven't looked.)

But there's another, full solution, that's just been posted on Apple's forums, which I'll reproduce below -- and I've just done it, and it works.  So follow the procedure below to restore and get ALL your stuff back, without exception.  It worked by eliminating the corrupted APN settings which cause the problem to begin with.

Just be sure to start by doing a "Restore to factory settings" -- and test your visual VM after that step -- that's crucial, because only the restore to factory settings will install the CORRECT APN data you need.

------
*Now for the solution!* First, go in to settings on your phone and uninstall any custom profile you may have installed to temporarily fix the APN.

Now, perform a full backup of your phone (you may want to delete your previous backups or move them out of the directory so that you're not confused with multiple backup files in your backup directory.

Go to your backup directory ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup/random-backup-name-here/ and delete this file 8218978e4ab0a48035bb92653145a6be872ea858
That file contains our corrupted APN information.

Now *RESTORE YOUR PHONE* and restore the backup. It will fully restore and then give you an error, ignore the error, it worked. Sync your phone to get all your apps back. 3g works, visual voicemail works, mms works, and i have ALL of my app data! all my contacts, all my photos, all my sms messages! BAM! I RULE!

If for some reason you don't have that file in your backup directory  (i have no idea, maybe they are named differently with different backups) you can find it by entering the backup directory in the terminal and running the following

for i in * ; do echo "checking $i" ; strings $i | grep -i com.apple ; done >> output.txt

open output.txt and search for CommCenter you'll see something like
checking 8218978e4ab0a48035bb92653145a6be872ea858
com.apple.CommCenter

The file above "com.apple.CommCenter" is the file you want to delete.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript