The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 07:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackberry takes first real financial wallup from the iPhone  (Read 4539 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »

Interesting article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/16/blackberry_maker_downgraded_in_light_of_blistering_iphone_sales.html

... basically claims that the sell target has been lowered for Rim because, "The days of no competition are over." They go on further to explain that the Blackberry's Java development environment has "no chance" of catching the iPhone's easy and powerful SDK. For a company to lose potential market cap because of a weekend of sales for the iPhone (OK, precluded by a year of solid growth) is pretty important to note. Rim share owners, take note! Get out while you can! Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »

People in USA still use that blackberry device ?
Most people here gave thier blackberries to thier maids/drivers, but the maids ussually do not want them  ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:34:45 PM »

You expect the US to be on 4G? for god sake, we still have about 25% of the country without broadband...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »

There's a 4G?!?!?!

ROFLMAO )

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »

sad aint it. we suck. then again, we also are about 50000 times bigger than that little podunk island nop is on ;0

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »

I'd wager our toilet paper is leagues beyond theirs as well, if previous international travel is any indication  Roll Eyes

And a straight flush will be a 4G of a kind any day.

Sorry, had to do it.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »

I'd wager our toilet paper is leagues beyond theirs as well, if previous international travel is any indication  Roll Eyes

And a straight flush will be a 4G of a kind any day.

Sorry, had to do it.
A good travel tip Cheesy always take ur own shit paper with u Cheesy
Most of the time there is none Cheesy
jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »

I've been on my crackberry for 4 years now [not the big bastard, the small one(s)] and the two factors holding me back from the iPhone are HDD storage and plan pricing.  At $60/mo my 4-yr old plan is unlimited email/web/sms etc. and 1K anytime mins, and I just can't justify the additional AT&T costs, especially given only 16 or so cities actually offer 3G coverage.

Speaking of coverage, earlier this year my wife and I went to the Galapagos Isles and I had excellent T-Mobile signal throughout 2 of the islands, and all through Ecuador (Galapagos Adventure Pic attached - enjoy).  Impressive service considering it's out where Jesus left his sandals!

All that said, when the iPhone gets to 64GB and I can stop carrying my iPod I'll probably make the jump.  Perhaps we'll have 5G by then?

IMHO

- ja

* galapagos_adventurepic.jpg (106.26 KB, 320x212 - viewed 241 times.)

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »

Nice... and congrats on the trip, sounds like that was awesome - I'm very envious. Did you dive while you were there?

@ HDD Storage - is it shear space you're looking for? IF so, I understand... the 16G on the phone, after a couple movies, 1K of tunes and some apps is tiny. But it can be used as an HD for storage right now if you choose to. Also, there is a new app just getting released that will allow it to work as a wireless HDD for a Mac which I think is a cool notion. That'll be pretty slow probably, but damn cool.

@ Plan - the family plan I have is something like $50 per person (base rate, taxes et al come after), unlimited internet, 2.5K mins of prime time. I added another $20 per person for unlimited texts and unlimited 7pm-7am and weekends. I don't find it to be too onerous, although I get your concern. I'm not overly impressed with AT&T's coverage, or perhaps it's the original iPhone's reception - my youngest's razor seems to get WAY better reception than our iPhones. I hear that the new 3G plastic back makes it more comparable. We'll have to see.

For now I'll have to deal with fewer bars, but much huger caché Wink

Nice to see you here JA

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10:46 AM »

i think the storage issue could be resolved with a wireless solution. I am sure there will be an app that someone will write which will allow for doing all the same things on the phone, but with an extra "intertubes drive". Maybe not, i dunno.
att coverage is not all its cracked up to be, though at my parents house it is better than tmobile. If you travel alot I think tmo is the way to go.

jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:31:21 AM »

Did you dive while you were there?
No diving, but tons of snorkeling.  It was crazy because all you had to do was stick your face in the water and there were fish, turtles, sharks, and even a penguin (not me, but others saw that one) - best snorkeling I've ever done.  There is a dive boat option, and there were dive shops on Santa Cruz island, but the way our boat worked it was not like a cruise you've ever taken.  Strict schedules for meals, departures via dinghy with your assigned group - it was a working cruise without much rest.  As a result, diving opportunities were limited.

That said, and to keep in line with this post .... uuuhhh, Blackberry good.  iPhone good. RIM okey-dokey. AT2 spy.

There ... now this is a legitimate post!  I wouldn't want to piss off the forum gods   Grin

Good to be back, and we'll have to catch up soon - beers or something.

- me

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »

There ... now this is a legitimate post!  I wouldn't want to piss off the forum gods   Grin
Grrr, snarl. Indeed.  ROFLMAO

Good to be back, and we'll have to catch up soon - beers or something.
Ping me when you have some time, we'll work it out.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript