The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: bigger better badder...  (Read 4289 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »

AppleInsider is reporting that the new MacPro will be the first and only (for a while) machine to offer the new Intel 6-core processor - the amount of juice in the upcoming machine is pretty awesome - 24 hyperthread cores (2 x each core) and 128GB RAM. Good lord.

Quote from: Apple Insider
The new 32 nanometer chips have 12MB of L3 cache, and 6 cores with 12 threads for each CPU. Apple usually doubles the processors in its high-end professional workstations, so it's possible the new Mac Pro system could have a total of 12 cores. The new hardware could be released sometime in the first quarter of 2010.

Gulftown is the codename of a yet-unreleased Intel chip. It will be sold under the Intel Core i9 name, while the server version is to be called the Xeon 5600 series. It will be the first dual-socket, six-core processor for Intel.

The report said that the new Mac Pro will have a modified motherboard with a 10Gbit/second Ethernet port. In addition, it is said to support 8GB and 16GB RAM modules, an increase from the 4GB offered today. That would mean the system could carry up to 128GB of RAM.

The original article is here: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/15/apples_next_mac_pro_may_sport_six_core_processors.html

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:40:18 AM »

Now we just need something that actually knows how to handle that kind of hardware. I have no doubt that when software is updated, that hardware is common stuff already.

But, I gotta get one anyway

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »

Now we just need something that actually knows how to handle that kind of hardware.
That would be called, "Perk."  ROFLMAO

Just add more displays and start doing lots and lots of things at the same time. Hopefully, the machine will keep up Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:18:43 AM »

Ive tried to understand why the chip or mobo doesnt "handle it".
Why is it on the OS or the software?
And then, if not the mobo/chip, why not the OS?
Why does multiproc usage fall down to the application developer?

It seems to me that it would be in the interest of an OS company to make it as easy as possible for a developer to make their software kick ass, which then allows the OS to claim, "look we made photoshop kick ass".

Because frankly its really annoying that Photoshop does not seem to use the procs well.
I dunno, maybe its just time for a reinstall.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 09:40:04 AM »

Have you ever written in Assembly Nuts? It gets really clear when you're down there.

The fundamental language of the machines is really pretty simple. "Rotate the bits of this byte right by 2. (ROR)" "Logically shift bits left 1. (LSR)" "Move the X register into the accumulator.(TXA)" "Store the accumulator at this memory location.(STA)" At the most base level, processors are still really pretty dumb.

So the notion of a processor being able to logically divide up the instructions for rasterizing an image, which could theoretically be done by a core-per-row for example, are just not in it. The programmer needs to decide how he wants a job divvied up - because even though a multi-core can do multiple things at a time, it has no idea about the smartness of that action. It would have no ability to understand why (this bit) might be dependent on (that answer) ergo, it would be nothing but one big crapshoot race condition.

Apple has released their "Grand Central" API which is supposed to make the process of divvying tasks and assigning them to cores much easier... it's always been pretty much a pain in the butt - not necessarily when you just want to use a lot of cores, but when you want *one answer* from a bunch of cores. Consider: it's easier for Apache to throw different requests into different threads (which would be handled by different cores) but for a processor to decide how to answer a single web request across multiple cores would be much more difficult. Hell, it'd even be tough for us in most cases.

The real job will be for humans to think in parallel processing. When we can all envision our tasks as lots of little component jobs rather than longish serial processes then we will be better equipped to convert our existing programming into multi-core. Until then, just do lots of shit all at once and the OS will take care of you Wink

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »

Actually Apple has made it really easy. Now I haven't done this myself but USERS at Firefox forums are saying that implementing GCD takes only one include line. Now somebody can correct if this is completely BS but if that's true, it doesn't get easier than that Wink

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »

I did assembly in college, once. I failed. But that could have been because I already didnt give a shit anymore and was having more fun than anything.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:40:31 AM »

Applause Grin

Guess Apple heard enough about "specs this, specs that..." Wink  Nice specs on that one.  Now for a complementary video card and a killer app of a game - itto couldn't resist any longer  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »

Guess Apple heard enough about "specs this, specs that..." Wink
LOL yes, PinkHat's 16 core, 12G machine is simply a pedestrian machine today by anyone's standards Wink

Nice specs on that one.  Now for a complementary video card and a killer app of a game - itto couldn't resist any longer  ROFLMAO
As I understand it, virtually all the highest end video cards are available for that machine... this is because so many are doing full video editing on it. And I understand that VMWare and Parallels are now talking directly to those cards through the hole punched by the virtual machine, so I've heard that gaming is as good on a big machine like this in a virtual as it is on a PC. Fair enough, you could always purchase a bigger better badder PC and do the same, but if you've got to make a choice and want both OSs, I think it's pretty close to there now. THINK it is. Since I'm not a gamer in the absolute least, I cannot judge this myself.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »

And I understand that VMWare and Parallels are now talking directly to those cards through the hole punched by the virtual machine, so I've heard that gaming is as good on a big machine like this in a virtual as it is on a PC. Fair enough, you could always purchase a bigger better badder PC and do the same, but if you've got to make a choice and want both OSs, I think it's pretty close to there now. THINK it is. Since I'm not a gamer in the absolute least, I cannot judge this myself.
We are getting there but there's still A LOT problems with VMWare's and Parallels 3D acceleration. Right now the situation is that it's faster to list games that work with it than the games that don't work with it Smiley But like you said, we are getting very close...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »

I'd love to hear from someone with experience on this... do you do this Kurdt? I have no idea what the net-difference is between high-end gaming processing in a VM and a normal machine. They SAY that a virtual imposes about a 10% hit on overall performance, so I'd imagine that if you took a machine with 10% slower processor you could get close to what it should look like. I'd love to hear if it's really f'reals or all hype.

(That said, virtuals are so freakin' good for me in the standard software arena it's not even funny)

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »

I'd love to hear from someone with experience on this... do you do this Kurdt? I have no idea what the net-difference is between high-end gaming processing in a VM and a normal machine. They SAY that a virtual imposes about a 10% hit on overall performance, so I'd imagine that if you took a machine with 10% slower processor you could get close to what it should look like. I'd love to hear if it's really f'reals or all hype.

(That said, virtuals are so freakin' good for me in the standard software arena it's not even funny)
I tried with World in Conflict but performance was so shitty I couldn't bare it. But I believe it's probably my display adapter which is stock Mac Pro ATI 2600 and it's pretty much antic. I'm Xbox 360 guy anyway when it comes to gaming so I'm not the right guy to answer this very reliable. All I know is that it doesn't work very well at all with most of the games. Graphics are all messed up or screen is completely blank. You hear the sounds though Wink

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »

There are still games that would bring this system to its knees. In stores now.

But it will always be that way.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »

There are still games that would bring this system to its knees. In stores now.

But it will always be that way.

Do tell Smiley  Certain games will allow details to be cranked up way beyond current display capabilities.  But I'd be pretty surprised if out of the box a properly designed game brought it to its knees.  Unless it's tightly bound to single core processing or something else improperly designed.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »

*cough*crysis*cough*

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript