The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 11:49:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Augmented Reality, soon to be a reality...  (Read 3346 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »

This is a pretty cool video, showing a product soon to be available for the Netherlands - currently only on Android, but soon for the iPhone because it has a digital compass (required to make this sort of thing work).

I swear, it won't be 10 years before I simply have a contact lens that does a heads of up all this for me, real time, all the time. I'm not sure if I'm excited or creeped out.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/16/layar-shows-augmented-reality-possibilities-on-iphone-3g-s/

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »

I swear, it won't be 10 years before I simply have a contact lens that does a heads of up all this for me, real time, all the time. I'm not sure if I'm excited or creeped out.

Contact lens and a blow up doll.  Sign me up  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »

Blow up shmow up... I'm seeing the possibility of saving LOTS of marriages  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »

I have always been WAY into augmented reality.

The potential awesomeness is huge.

Alzheimer patients could know things, and not feel so dumb. The worst thing about alz is that usually you know that you are losing your mind and are terribly embarrassed. This could at least eliminate the embarrassment by placing info on the world, like when your grandkid walks up to you, you get reminded by the augment.

For me... So I can remember who fuck people are and where I first met them.

For real world learning. training.

Cops, to know routes when chasing a perp, or high risk areas down to the alleyway level. Gunshot directional data.
Firemen to know the floorplan of a building.
EMTs and medics to have reference info and positional diagrams for procedures.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »

I was just about to write that augmented reality is so useless.. after reading nutballs post I feel so dumb... D'oh!

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »

lol

The problem is that most people who see it, only see it in the context of stupid shit, like games, and merchandising.
I have rarely seen a mainstream application that doesnt make it look like a complete toy for simple sheep.

AugR will be world changing, eventually. but initially it has to go through the dumb phase and hopefully doesnt die off. Like most technology, growth comes from Entertainment and/or Sex, or Military. Sex probably is not a good vector, because it would be very depressing for most people to see info flying past your eyes about how bad your fuck-stats are... My guess is the real cook is going to be the military. Games always seems lame. Like those stupid yogiohwhateverthefuck cards that you can hold up to your webcam and it will show a 3d model on the card, on screen. dumb....

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:31:36 AM »

Totally agree nuts - my personal desire was for there to be a Louvre AugR app - look at a piece, and it brings up everything about it. Dump the crappy 6euro device and headphones, let me have *real* data for everything in the museum.

I think that this is the next wild west. F'reals.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »

Its funny actually.
Everytime anyone mentions the louvre I think of the mona lisa and how something like AugR could educate the unwashed masses as to why its ACTUALLY an important piece of art. The chick is important, but you could remove her from the painting and it would be one of the most important pieces in art history still...

But explaining atmospheric perspective, in audio, probably loses about 90% of the people.
Imagine gridlines lining up on the canvas, showing the change, pointing out visually the important parts, instead of audio saying "2 inches to the left of her nose, above the tree, notice the blah blah blah".

Hmmmm.... time to read Snowcrash again... lol

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:00:08 AM »

ZACTLY.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »

and another. a game, and actually a pretty decent execution.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/06/augmented_reality_zombie_hunti.php

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript