The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T moves closer to usage-based fees for data  (Read 1289 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/120909-att-moves-closer-to-usage-based.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-12-09

Is this what you do right before a divorce?? I seriously hope they're honorable enough to wait until after the Apple exclusivity period.  Even contract agnostics would have a hard time swallowing this one without grumbling, or going massively postal  Devilish 

"The first thing we need to do is educate customers about what represents a megabyte of data and...we're improving systems to give them real-time information about their data usage," he said. "Longer term, there's got to be some sort of pricing scheme that addresses the [heavy] users."

AT&T has found that only 3% of its smartphone users -- primarily iPhone owners -- are responsible for 40% of total data usage, largely for video and audio, de la Vega said. Educating that group about how much they are using could change that, as AT&T has found by informing wired Internet customers of such patterns.

"With landline capabilities, we used that concept and customers didn't know how much data they were using -- including parents who didn't know how their children were using [video and audio]," he said. "Once alerted, they reduced their consumption without anything other than being told that data was being used in an inordinate fashion."

I think AT&T will have an army of iPhone users on their doorstep sharing their "feelings" with them Don't make me... 

Profit margins, quarterly revenues, growth trends??   Undecided  A move like this could effectively kill them - especially when iPhone users have a wireless provider choice in the near future.  It's taken a while but look at what the anti-Microsoft sentiment has done to the OS lock-in beast of our times.  AT&T's entire brand could wind up tarnished as the nemesis of everything "cool," as understood by modern day cool aficionados.  Even associating Apple and iPhone enthusiasts with essentially ignorant bandwidth hogs is uber stupid IMO.  If staying in business was my goal I'd consider other profit margin avenues.  Being the negative target of any Apple marketing campaign would qualify as a roadblock to success 

(just ask IBM or Microsoft)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »

So friggin atrocious it's not even funny.

"Waaaaiiit... you mean if we give them 3G on this new bitchin' touch device, they'll actually use it? No way!"

I think you're right,  it's going to be an ugly divorce. But the real loser at the end of the day is going to be AT&T, because this may have besmirched their rep for years and years to come.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript