The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:09:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T admits that the ride will eventually come to an end...  (Read 1700 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »

Speculation that the exclusivity between Apple and AT&T will end in 2010 when the current contract runs out is starting to heat up:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/22/att_activates_record_3_2m_iphones_says_exclusivity_could_end.html

... from the mouths of AT&T itself.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »

Based on these numbers Apple contributed to only 1% of AT&T's increased subscriber base.  No wonder AT&T seems content with letting the contract go. 

AT&T alone hosts 81.6 million subscribers.  I don't have the numbers for everyone else but I'm sure the total is quite large.  Apple's iPhone only accounts for 3.2 million subscribers!  Man with all the iPhone hoopla I thought for sure they'd have way more than that  Huh?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »

AT&T alone hosts 81.6 million subscribers.  I don't have the numbers for everyone else but I'm sure the total is quite large.  Apple's iPhone only accounts for 3.2 million subscribers!  Man with all the iPhone hoopla I thought for sure they'd have way more than that  Huh?
That doesn't seem right. I wonder if they are downplaying the real number to save their face because people will calculate it just like you did and say "yeah, it was good for AT&T that they lost the contract".

iPhone launch was drummed as the biggest launch in the 21st century and the result is 3.2 million users? And Apple has taken a big chunk out of smart phone markets. Now something here doesn't add up. Either AT&T is downplaying that number A LOT or they host A LOT more people than 81.6 million.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »

Based on these numbers Apple contributed to only 1% of AT&T's increased subscriber base.  No wonder AT&T seems content with letting the contract go. 

Worse then that iphone users are "bad users".
They are the ones that push AT&T infrastructure to the limits.
Ideally u want AOL users who are really stupid.

World wide 10M sales of iphone maybe 15M tops
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21023/1231/

Again profit margin on iphone is huge estimates is 2/3 price is profit, and iphone is overpriced compared to other smart phones.
so $200 - 300 * 10M is nothing to sneeze at.
IPhone is deemed to be a failure in china where pirate versions can be bought retail for $50.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript