The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:03:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Article re. MacroShaft stores - priceless!  (Read 1754 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »

Here's a little appetizer:

n his book, ‘Inside Steve’s Brain‘, our own Leander Kahney wrote a whole chapter about the formula for the success of the Apple Stores. Too bad the strategic brain trust at Microsoft didn’t even manage to get past the fist page. They just read: “Upscale malls, you say… Hurrm… Good idea… (no percentage for you meester Kahney, bwaaa haaa haaa!!)”

Of course, if they’d have read on, they might have gotten to the part where it’s considered a good suggestion to have a product people actually want to buy.

(Oh yes he did… he went there – ed)

You need to be honest with yourself in business; nobody wants to buy the stuff Microsoft is selling. Windows and MS Office are like the socks and sweaters of the consumer electronics world, i.e. gifts you’d be pissed off about getting.

Tip to MS Marketing Executives: just because lots and lots of people buy your stuff, doesn’t mean they want buy your stuff. They do it because the have to, or are given no choice by the OEM’s you got tied to your purse strings.

Your products are like auto insurance, something people have to own, but don’t necessarily want to, and resent having to spend money on.

Classic, and spot on all at the same time. Worth the 5 it will take to take it in.

http://cultofmac.com/microsofts-folly-the-blue-store-of-death/13800

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »

>Your products are like auto insurance, something people have to own

Bingo. I buy pc's as utility/service items. Cameras and video hardware are the same now, btw.  No way would I spend time shopping out in the real world for this stuff. That's what newegg is for.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:41:04 PM »

I think this guy's on    and totally missing the point.  Of course the following makes sense:

Microsoft does in fact have one product people are actually excited to buy. It’s called the XBOX 360, I have one and I love it.
It would be genuinely awesome if there were such a place.

Then he cites Gamestop suggesting they have this taken care of so essentially why bother.  I'm not camping out to be the first in the store when it opens.  In fact it sounds about as fun as a Mac store, minus a gaming system to try out.  But with the new Wii-like technology coming out of Redmond (full body gaming) I don't see why they wouldn't do something like this.  Makes perfect sense to me regardless of personal appeal. 
Now if Windows x and Office x comprise the bulk of the store's reason for existence, then I think Balmer's the one on  .  Highly unlikely IMO.

Cult-Of-Mac: 1 / Objectivity: 0

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »

$score = ($cultOfMac- != $objectivity);
$bias = $fanBoi^10;

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

$score = ($cultOfMac- != $objectivity);
$bias = $fanBoi^10;

In Apex you just said that score = true (since cultofmac is not equal to objectivity), whereas bias = 010  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

Shurrup.

Nerd

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript