The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 06:58:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple's success defies all logic  (Read 3806 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »

According to IDC, Apple accounted for 9.4% of all U.S. computer sales in the third quarter

Ok reality check time.  Almost 10% of ALL US computer sales in the third quarter Shocked Hmmm, let's see, there's quite a large number of PC manufacturers out there.  10% of the total?  Well, in my mind this puts them in the "totally dominant" seat and therefore warrants careful scrutiny regarding anti-competitive & monopolistic practices.  Good for them for such amazing success; great products should bring great revenue, especially coupled with their marketing genius.  But yikes the world is getting Appled hard Wink

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/101509-mac-sales-defy-all-logic.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2009-10-16

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

Apple is now widely recognized as the 4th largest PC manufacturer in the world. Interestingly though:

But Apple's year-over-year sales growth, although significantly better than in the last two quarters, lags far behind the numbers posted by Acer and Toshiba, which sported year-over-year gains of 48% and 37%, respectively, in IDC's estimates, and a whopping 61% and 46% in Gartner's.

There's speculation that Windows machine purchases are slightly down while waiting for Win7. I'm wondering how Q4 will look after the release on Oct 22.

But all that said, it's not that the world is getting Apple'd hard, it's that people want systems that rock. And they're getting them Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »

10% overall is good, but still not top. Acer has 11.1 US market and dell and HP are above that.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »

Apple has done this weird marketing campaign lately where they have douchebags in berets sit in street corner coffee shops with a Mac sneering at potential customers. I don't really get the point.

EDIT: I've been informed that these are just regular Mac users.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

Haven't seen them, but I'm a beret wearing douchbag that sits in overpriced coffee shops and smugly acknowledges my superiority because of hardware selection.

What's the problem?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
cdc
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »

A little off-topic, but what's shocked me most about Apple's success is that other companies are spending millions to downplay Apple's marketing.

The two biggest examples are:

The MS ads: "I'm 6 years old and I'm a PC."

The Verizon ads: "There's a map for that."

I'm no Apple fanboi, but the fact that other companies are reacting like this just shows how scared/pissed they really are.

Will code for food.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »

I'm no Apple fanboi, but the fact that other companies are reacting like this just shows how scared/pissed they really are.

Yep.  Monoposoft stooped down to the level of "pricing tailored to the struggling grass roots, and we care" Roll Eyes  But the same can be said for Google in a different way.  I think Google's the primary target of Apple especially after the CEO stepped down from their board.  Android recently gained huge support, at least visibly, from major players that plan mega rollouts in Q4.  At least M$ is pushing hard in the cloud arena as is Google.  Apple doesn't seem to think the Web 3.0 world is worth fighting for Undecided

Apple not only has a considerable chunk of the PC market these days, it's the only company (hardware) that shows a growth trend that is completely backwards from the rest of the vendors.  I'll bet perk is right though about next quarter and the release of Win 7. 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »

Apple doesn't seem to think the Web 3.0 world is worth fighting for Undecided
Ah... I think it's a stealth attack. Note the convenient, easy and unobtrusive, "me.com." It is the first service that actually has gotten a lot of my files and activities out into the cloud ... and the incredibly ginormous new data center going into South Carolina can't just be for their customer database. I think they are doing what they always seem to do ... downplay their involvement in something until they've gained enough knowledge to do it as they think is best. No, frankly, given the notion of tablets, I think apple is going to jump into that space and MO with bigness... I just don't think they'll be first.

Apple not only has a considerable chunk of the PC market these days, it's the only company (hardware) that shows a growth trend that is completely backwards from the rest of the vendors.  I'll bet perk is right though about next quarter and the release of Win 7. 
Tis true ... they're growing and gaining market share against the odds, market and economy. It's pretty wild and I think it's smart for M$ and Goog to be concerned. They are no longer the flailing bit player, but a real force in the industry. It will be interesting, IMO to see if sleeping Apple hatred will re-exhibit itself as they get larger and people will bend back towards other vendors/systems, or if people have become more agnostic and just want things the way they want them, in which case both Apple and Goog will have a real shot at turning M$ from the ubiquitous unbeatable mountain to just another player.

Popcorn

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO @ "Apple's success defies all logic"

A pretty good products. Good looking products .......
Also take "normal" shit, make it better, market it better etc.
An IPod is not and MP3 player Smiley

So relatively logical.

Illogical is when 30+% of americans believe natural disasters are caused by homosexuals etc
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »

Illogical is when 30+% of americans believe natural disasters are caused by homosexuals

Ditto

It's been consistently at 25% since the invention of alternate lifestyle choices  Roll Eyes

Seriously it's an eye opening experience having a gay brother.  He's 2 years older than me and by all reasonable accounts we grew up in the same environment.  But to me, the idea of "choosing" to fall in love with men is about as reasonable as choosing to fall in love with stray dogs.  If I was capable of falling in love with a stray dog I'd be the happiest man on earth Wink  Since fresh tuna is all I'd need to make my soul mate happy.

An IPod is not and MP3 player

An iPod is, on the other hand, a lifestyle choice, and should NOT be allowed to marry MP3 players Wink

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:42 AM »

Seriously it's an eye opening experience having a gay brother.  He's 2 years older than me and by all reasonable accounts we grew up in the same environment.  But to me, the idea of "choosing" to fall in love with men is about as reasonable as choosing to fall in love with stray dogs.  If I was capable of falling in love with a stray dog I'd be the happiest man on earth Wink  Since fresh tuna is all I'd need to make my soul mate happy.
Wow you are lucky.
WTF do women like gay guys so much Smiley.
One of my best friends was gay (well depending on the day of the week).
He would match me up with all his women friends Smiley.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 03:36:15 AM »

WTF do women like gay guys so much

Because gay men cook fabulous meals Wink  I fuck up 75% of all Jiffy Pops I try to prepare for my dates  D'oh!

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 06:58:19 AM »

Seriously it's an eye opening experience having a gay brother.
And good reflexes when you have to learn to catch shit when they fall because of constant earthquakes.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »

Seriously it's an eye opening experience having a gay brother.
And good reflexes when you have to learn to catch shit when they fall because of constant earthquakes.
ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
Phew so only earth quakes are caused by homosexuals ?
That is a relief, here i was thinking that stuff like 911 was caused by them also.
Have to make sure blame falls we it is due.
It is so unfair that stuff like typhoons are caused by homos Smiley
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

Yeah, for being almighty that fucker has some shitty aim doesn't he?

hai
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript