The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 12:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple's Snow Leopard update "kills" the Hackintosh  (Read 4284 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »

I think it's probably a good idea to either buy Mac hardware with its software or wait until their stance changes on allowing OS X on clones.  I'd hate to build a box and have Apple pull the rug out from under me with an update.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/181809/apples_snow_leopard_update_zaps_bugs_kills_hackintosh_netbooks.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »

Lol.. that's gotta suck for few people Cheesy

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:47:27 PM »

If you can't sue 'em, just cut them off at the knees.

The rumor sites say that the dev team is working on kernel hacks at this very moment to defeat the problem, but it's going to be a biggie I think.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »

If you can't sue 'em, just cut them off at the knees.

Surrender* and I'll release you from your pain.  Rise up and embrace the "people's" hardware.  Anti-competitive rates guaranteed or your money back** Roll Eyes

* Ask about our .05% fanboi surrender discount
** Some restrictions applied without lube
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:27:20 PM by isthisthingon » Logged

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »

At least you still have the option of running something else on your non-overpriced hardware if they cripple your install.

Rings some bells though - "We can't sue the competition, so we'll just take it out on our customers." Classic RIAA tactics.

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »

Rings some bells though - "We can't sue the competition, so we'll just take it out on our customers." Classic RIAA tactics.
I'm pretty sure that if you don't buy Mac hardware, you probably are not going to buy OS X disc either so there's 0 money for Apple in any case. In contrary RIAA targets people who actually are one of the largest paying group also but they just happen to enjoy downloads also. This is probably pre-emptive strike for tablet anyway.

But in other hand, I do see your point and I agree that it's not very smart strategy to fuck with people who are using OS X at least in some extend... they just might buy Mac Pro for more heavy usage.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »

I don't think so. If we look at the language of VS or ITTO, whom I'd say are archetypical for this sort of behavior, I think we can agree that they generally feel that Mac hardware is overpriced, hipster and they'd not be caught dead with it.

No, I think that this will not impact Apple in any way, at least fiscally. I don't know that the endorsement of folks with this attitude is important to them either, so I don't think there will even be a PR backlash.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »

I think the chances are good that anyone using OS X on a netbook are prolly using the discounted torrent version of the OS that only had one scratch on it ... right through the serial numbers.   Mobster

I agree with Kurdt on that point, and echo Perkiset on the final point ... no harm to AAPL on this one.

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

right through the serial numbers.   Mobster

Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »

so there's 0 money for Apple in any case.

Exactly, since they won't sell their OS in a form that respects other hardware.  The only real thing left is the image in the minds of consumers and the tech community.  Monoposoft knows exactly what can happen when the invisible leakage of brainpower finally comes back to haunt their maximum profit mindset.  It winds up hurting them where it hurts most - their wallet. 

It's like Google trying to convince the world that new product X (Chrome for example) is just as privacy safe as its competitors.  Most people will ever believe them.  Apple embracing "open source" is another such attempt at correcting a image.  For Apple to turn their proprietary, profit-centric aircraft carrier around and begin traveling in the direction of the open-future gets harder everyday.  And when they finally have no other choice they could be too far behind to catch up. 

A smart phone with all the sweet iPhone features with multi-carrier support, or pre-pay, would kill their product unless they followed suit - and quickly.  What in the world would happen to Windows7 if you could buy and install OS X on your PC?  Apple keeps Windows on top of the OS world.  Win7 would be a novelty item and MS would probably just focus on Azure.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure that if you don't buy Mac hardware, you probably are not going to buy OS X disc either so there's 0 money for Apple in any case. In contrary RIAA targets people who actually are one of the largest paying group also but they just happen to enjoy downloads also. This is probably pre-emptive strike for tablet anyway.

But in other hand, I do see your point and I agree that it's not very smart strategy to fuck with people who are using OS X at least in some extend... they just might buy Mac Pro for more heavy usage.

I don't even need to make vague generalizations like that. This hurts me, and I'm an Apple customer.

Q
E
D

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »

Apple keeps Windows on top of the OS world.

This.

But most people don't even know the difference anyway. Look at those stupid "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads. Hello...since when is PC a brand name? Last time I checked, Apple also makes PERSONAL COMPUTERS. So fucking stupid. Sooner or later, the average Joe is going to understand the difference between a computer and an operating system. What are you going to do then? You sell software, you sell hardware, there's no need to confuse the two. Let me buy either one or both at my option.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »

ROFLMAO

Last time I checked, Apple stock was just about the only bright spot on the NASDAQ meng.

I'll let them know that their ad campaigns have been stoopid  ROFLMAO

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 05:47:28 PM »

Last time I checked, Apple stock was just about the only bright spot on the NASDAQ meng.

Tis true.  It's a little creepy how well Google is doing though no?  I mean almost 40 billion dollars in assets alone Shocked  Not to mention almost 3 times the revenue of Apple (1.x to 5.x if I recall correctly).  But that's beside the point... oh wait!  It's beside the point Wink

If we look at the language of VS or ITTO, whom I'd say are archetypical for this sort of behavior, I think we can agree that they generally feel that Mac hardware is overpriced, hipster and they'd not be caught dead with it.

Love that pot stirring ROFLMAO  Unless I'm mistaken the only one who wouldn't "be caught dead" with a brand of computer was someone who wouldn't be caught dead with an Acer laptop ROFLMAO  If I had the money to burn I'd prefer to be caught quite alive playing around with my own Mac.  And as always, I'd ideally prefer to build my own - but not unless or until they change their ways 

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »

Precisely. On a whim once, I spent about 2 weeks tweaking Gnome in combination with Compiz Fusion until I had, for all intents and purpose, 99.9999% of the functionality of Aqua. I mean you couldn't tell the difference between my OS and OS-X. Then I realized "I can do all this...Why am I settling for someone else's design?" and I wound up scrapping it. I'm telling you though, I had the behavior down to a T, including all the system menus and the global menu at the top left and all that other crap that it took me 120 hours of writing config files and shell hacking to setup. My original intention was to make a complete, all-in-one installable "skin" for Gnome but I quickly realized that wasn't going to happen.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript