The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 11:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple's new Magic Mouse: Surprisingly good.  (Read 2368 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »

Well, just spent my first few hours with the Magic Mouse on a new iMac 21".

Although the advertising is "multi touch" those features are pretty limited. It's basically scroll right/left and navigate forward backward. But even within those limitations, it's pretty damn fine.

It felt good in my hand - a rare occasion for an Apple mouse and me. It's a little low, I like a bit of a taller mouse (I'm partial to thicker Logitechs) but it was get-used-toable. The config panel was pretty nice - the continually running video around the parameter you are editing was both instructional as well as easy to understand.

The thing I absolutely liked the most was "momentum." The've essentially made the surface of the mouse behave like an iPhone when scrolling ... so I can flick a website or source code page, and it will keep scrolling until I stop it. That sealed the deal. Two finger swipe right/left to navigate is an interesting idea, but if my fingers even slightly stuck to the surface, then the mouse moved rather than the page. But I'll bet that's just another thing to get used to.

Tracking is superb and there's no confusion between a right/left click, even though it's not obvious - just do what you'd normally do and it works.

All in all probably my favorite mouse to come from Apple in a great long while. Worth checking out, although a bit expensive.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »

surprised.
figured it blew balls.

momentum is awesome. I have a logitech mouse where the scroll wheel can switch from clickyclick mode for line by line scrolls, or freespin, and it goes and goes and goes on freespin. I just wiz down my code files, its great. (except when I hit control in FF and zoom way the hell out or in suddenly... LOL)

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »

surprised.
figured it blew balls.
Ida as well. Equally eye opened. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely one of their better efforts.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »

I'm rather disappointed with my Magic Mouse.  It's FAR less responsive in terms of tracking speed than my old Logitech wireless mouse.  I've got the speed cranked up all the way in the mouse preferences (actually I used Terminal to crank it as high as it will go, even more than the Preferences will allow) and it's still frustratingly slow.  To get across my two screens I have to do the old "move the mouse, pick it up and move it back over, then set it down and move it again" gig.  Downloaded a third-party program that speeds things up a bit, but it's still annoying (and I shouldn't need some unknown third-party app just to get some semblance of normal/fast mouse tracking.)

Secondly, the one finger scrolling that is very useful in lots of apps, like web browsers, is horribly annoying in others.  The one finger up or down essentially replicates a scroll wheel.  The problem is that many web sites and apps use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out.  Simply moving the mouse around (perhaps with a finger or two hovering above the top of the mouse) seems to be enough to trigger the "scroll wheel" function, and so web pages zoom in and out like crazy, seemingly at random, with no real ability to control the movement.  It makes viewing something like Google Maps pretty impossible.

I'm actually considering sending the thing back.  I'm astonished that Apple allowed this thing to ship with such unacceptable tracking speed, and the constant unintended zooming is incredibly frustrating.  I think there's great potential here, and I like the look and feel of the mouse, but right now it's bordering on unusable for me.

The mouse even has the capability to recognize 3 and 4 finger tapping and (I think) gestures too, so it may get even cooler in the future.  But it needs to do a better job with the basics or it's worthless.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »

Wow, nice counter review Dv8r. I'm spending more time with them and I don't have that problem... but as you noted the "pick up and move" bit, I must say that this is part of my SOP. I sort of "hold" a mouse with the weight of my hand on my palm heal, then pick up the mouse and do that sort of pick-move-pic-move thing all the time, so it doesn't bother me. But that said, I don't get find it unrealistically slow ... I don't even have mine on the full fast tracking speed.

Bummer for you meng! But mice are *so very personal* I have no doubt that it will piss a lot of people off ... just like almost every mouse from Apple previous to this one has me Wink

Nice to see your nick lurking about BTW...

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 01:59:43 PM »

the pick and move thing is something though that is the case with all mice. I have always wanted my scroll wheel, which has side-to-side action, to allow me to jump the cursor 100px to the side or something like that. Probably would never use it though since the pick and move is so ingrained at this point.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »

I didn't mean to imply that "pick up and move" was something new to me.   ROFLMAO

But it's the degree to which this maneuver is necessary with the Magic Mouse that is really annoying.  It's hard to quantify it since the amount of desktop travel one needs to move a certain distance on the screen is variable depending on the speed you move the mouse (faster movement = greater acceleration.)  But with my old mouse, I could get across both screens with one quick flick of the wrist, and with the Magic Mouse I have to pick up and move, even when moving the mouse very quickly.

The more annoying issue is the apparent activation of the one-finger vertical scrolling feature even when you don't have any fingers actually moving on (or even touching) the surface of the mouse.  It doesn't seem to manifest by uncommanded scrolling of text, but just on pages that use the scroll function to zoom in and out.  It's strange, and perhaps is some kind of interaction between the mouse driver and web browser or java/flash support which might be fixable in software.

I agree that mice are very personal things and that everyone has different likes and dislikes.  I think that my gripes about the Magic Mouse could all have been avoided simply by building more flexible preference settings into the driver, and I hope Apple will make those improvements in the near future.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:45:53 PM »

Heh, ok I get it. It's more of a esotheric problem. Something about the mm makes the pick and move worse. Got it. It's same for me with weird mice. The wire makes it infinitley more unpleasant.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript