The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple WWDC Keynote: Highs & Lows  (Read 2102 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

Personally I was hoping for a more significant keynote, and more importantly something really revolutionary re. touch and OSX-7 (like a new piece of hardware that puts a touch computer under my fingertips, rather than out in front of me). But the OS shows signs that things like that are potentials for the future.

A nice, steady convergence of iOS and desktop OS stuff - and more importantly, a reduction in the primacy of the desktop and an increase in the centrality and primacy of the cloud. IMO this was vital for Apple to really execute a move towards the cloud.

Personal favorite quote of the day, while he's talking about the new iCloud offering, "Why would you trust us - we're the company that brought you Mobile Me?" I loved it. The 4th major failure of Apple to do cloud right, it's important that they recognize that.

This was an interesting presentation because they really are combining all 3 data/execution perspectives into a single continuum. The Lion + iOS5 + iCloud banner clearly was accurate.

Things of note:
  • They only showcased 10 of Lion's supposed 250 new features. Hmmm. I'd imagine the word "features" to be rather generous then. No way Apple is going to miss an opportunity to brag.
  • Multi Touch Gestures: Swipe, Pinch etc. I don't know how this will work with a mouse, but with trackpads it should be pretty good. Also with 'pad apps that double as a trackpad. This is probably the largest indication that something bigger is coming - "touch gestures" for a non-touchable screen? Seems funky. I'll also have to see if gestures translate well to a primarily mouse oriented world. I find that my brain is either touch mode or mouse mode, so I am not sure how this will go.
  • Full Screen Apps: This is much more important for notebooks and MBAs than my desktop. I don't need a 30" calendar. But this also says that perhaps the MBA et al will soon be getting touch. Essentially they look like iPad apps. A swipe left or right moves you between apps, in a similar way to how a pad works.
  • Mission Control: "The best feature of Lion." /yawn/ I dunno. Another app launcher/spaces thang? OK cool perhaps, but THE BEST feature? Gonna have to get my hands on that to see if it actually improves my experience/workflow or is just another piece of eye candy.
  • PhotoBooth can now track your face: This is deceptively interesting. PhotoBooth can now do things like make your eyes extra big. OK, interesting in a cartoonish way, but really, so what? Well IMO this is the very first shot at a Kinect like interaction between the computer and user for Apple. They didn't spend a lot of time here, but it seemed a little weird for the keynote - unless the API underneath it is going to enable some really cool stuff. This one caught my attention more than others. Consider the earlier rumors about 3D apps and movies on the iPad. I think there'll be more to this one soon.
  • Essentially, the new Lion features make it more iOSy. I think a lot of that may be good. May. Launchpad, Spaces etc are somewhat interesting but again, that's really evolutionary stuff at best. You can rearrange icons in Launchpad!  Roll Eyes
  • Reboot Resume and Auto Save: This is pretty cool stuff. The notion of a "session" is really being deprecated here. Now your system will come back right to where you left it, even after a reboot (I assume there are ways of avoiding this behavior as well). Window position auto saved. Documents are autosaved, but it almost looks like they are saved in a movement-by-movement delta, because one demo showed them moving back in versions to when a particular line of text was highlighted in a Keynote file. The ultimate "Undo?" Perhaps. That'd be rather cool.
  • AirDrop: Any computers on the local net hosting AirDrop can be targets to just drop a file to. The user @ that computer needs to accept it, but that's all. I assume that the iOS stuff will work the same in both directions, making moving files to and from anyone/any device much more easy. But local network again? The single subnet crap is just SO 5 years ago. That's got to go. Hoping they have some notion that is larger than just local subnet.
  • Mail updated to work like iOS mail. Nice. I particularly like conversation view (which threads messages) - now will show attachments as well. Worth a nod.
  • Lion Server: Server is just an app you pull down from the App Store. Nice touch. Actually a set of apps. So I assume you can easily set to serve some things and not others. This will work well for little little installations like my home: I'd like to use my machine as a server for the rest of the house but didn't want to run Leopard or SnowLeopard server. This will easily let me be a primary point of contact for the other nodes in the house. Reasonably cool.
  • Lion is only $29.99, and buy once install on all your Macs. Really good rate. But it's also clearly the razor handle, they'll be getting us on the "blades" later with iCloud. It's becoming clear that they want long term subscription revenue and the OS is just a way to get those capabilities in our hands. Makes sense. I think they're going to score big with that model in the long run. And much better than the continual upgrade price of Windows - if the OS is close to free and the subscription stuff is an add-on, people won't be as hesitant I think (natch, consider the lengthy time to upgrade from XP to Vista to 7... how long will it take to get people to 8 with their current model?). Here's the deal: in the Windows model, they have to demonstrate what, $129, $229 or more worth of value? In this case, Apple only has to demonstrate $30 worth of value to get people to move to a platform where they have more ability to scrape me for money. Briliiant IMO.
  • Lion will be available in July.
  • iOS 5 has 1500 new APIs  Shocked and 200 new features, only showing 10  Roll Eyes iOS5 will ship in the fall.
  • Notification Center looks great. No more modal notifications. Notifications are kept in a queue that is accessed by swiping down from the top/ Demo showed stock, weather, Twitter, Facebook, IMs. Nice convergence of it all. Apparently nice UI. Swipe directly on a particular notification to get to (that) app. Simple X button to get rid of notifications.
  • News Stand: Most publishers already ready to go.  Huh? Looks like iBooks for magazines. Here's the bullet: background download automatically. ABOUT TIME.
  • Twitter Integration: Twitter hooks into apps like the camera does. API makes it really easy for devs to integrate (tweet this photo, this link, this location etc).
  • iOS Safari updated. Now includes a reader that supposedly makes stripping the hooie away from a site and getting just the content much easier. That'll piss a lot of webmasters off.
  • Reminders System: I like this one. I currently use the Clock app and email to get myself reminders - neither works all that well, although I've really adapted to make it work. This system seems to make it really easy to set todos that come up at a certain time. But much more interesting is the When I Arrive or When I Leave geo-fence notion. Essentially, you can set a reminder to pop up when you arrive or leave at a geographic location. That's as interesting to me as the facial recognition above, because a solid API wrapped around that will foster some seriously cool development IMO. To say nothing of the fact that I'd like to remind myself to do something when I depart a particular place. Pretty cool. I wonder hoe long it will be before someone writes an app that lets me approve other people to put geo-bound reminders into my system. Simply, if PinkHat knows I'm going to Costco she could tell me to pick up milk. But more complexly, Costco itself might be able to tell me about sales when I arrive. Big big big. This has been discussed for some time, but I think it's finally starting to come about.
  • iPhone Camera: Use the Volume Up button to snap the photo. ABOUT TIME. Crop, rotate right in the app. ABOUT TIME. Incremental and over-time updates.
  • iOS Mail update: Nice incremental features. Nothing earth shaking.
  • iOS will now be PC free. This is big. It means that my mother in law who is deathly afraid of computers can now have the full iPad experience without having a computer. Buy one, turn it on and off you go. Everything about it is wireless and cloud based. All updates, including OS and apps are now over the air. This is important stuff for the growth of the iPad. It means that it can be a certain segment of the populations only machine.
  • Game Center: It's supposedly better. I'll not even presume to know WTF the significance is here, I'm not into gaming. Perhaps someone else with experience and context can comment to this.
  • iMessage: I'm not sure what to make of this. It's a new messaging service that intra-iOS 5. Text messaging, photos, videos, contacts, groups. Looks like iChat. I think this is a push away from telco-based IM services. But if it's bound to just iOS users it's in line for a fireball of a FAIL. Not enough time spent here for me to grok the real significance of this.
  • Wireless iPad2 mirror to TV: This is HOT for me. I'd like to take an AppleTV to a presentation with the appropriate gear to hook up to any kind of projector/tv/monitor they have. Leave that in place and then walk around with my pad, now wirelessly mirroring to the screen. I have a teacher friend (neuro and anatomy/phys for a KC medical school) that wants this in a big way to enhance his presentations. I think this is a sleeper. We'll see a lot of action along this vector in the next year.
  • WiFi sync to iTunes (crowd went nuts): While you are charging at night it will autosync (interesting way of posturing that). It will find iTunes automatigally and sync  Shocked
  • On to iCloud: Steve did this part.
  • MobileMe ceases to exist. Contacts, calendars and mail syncinc is now free and automatic.
  • iBooks now syncs to the cloud. Mediocre benefit.
  • Documents in the cloud: Now we're getting somewhere. It looks as though the notion of the Documents folder is now abstract. Edit a document on an iPad, it is automatically (and pretty damn quickly) synced to your other devices. Demo was done in Pages - will this extend to other apps?
  • Answer: iCloud Storage API: Crowd goes wild, whistling even. Works on both Macs and PCs. Photo Stream syncs iPhoto, iOS devices and (if so desired) the Pictures directory of a Windows machine.  Applause Demo showed a picture taken on an iPhone, showed up on iPad in seconds as well. Stored for 30 days on iCloud - long enough for all devices to sync up, unless picture is pushed into an album, where it's stored permanently (details needed on this one). Obviously this includes all devices that are "you" in the cloud, not just iOS.
  • Music: Auto downloading to all devices. /yawn/.
  • The One More Thing: Music Match - the rumors were true. Apple will scan your library even for files you've ripped and put 256bit versions up into your cloud. Music that cannot be matched you'll need to upload. It will cost $25 a year, unlimited files. Takes minutes, not weeks to cloudify your music library. Songs are AAC lossless 256 with no DRM  Applause but I don't know if that means they will sync back down to me in that format as well. Prolly not. the DRM-Free is probably a hook but toothless.
  • "If you don't think we're serious about this, you're wrong." Time spent showing the new datacenter. Not using XServe equipment, looks pretty impressive.

Wrapup: I think Nuts was sort of right - the iCloud is way more than just music, but less than abstracting my entire desktop experience. The hardware hopefuls were completely let down today, I'm sure. The latest rumors about TimeCapsule being a cloud proxy and such seemed to be completely wrong, but there's still room and time for that to come to pass. There's plenty hints at what's coming in the future in the APIs and structures of what was delivered. Enough toys for me to be excited but not overly so. I will certainly be playing hard with iCloud ASAP because the MobileMe document syncing hootenanny has been a simply horrible experience and it's pretty necessary for me and PinkHat.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:20:01 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »

I'll post other updates and important components and I find them.

Here's a video of the new iOS features. It looks much better than I thought it would.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

WARNING: Scott Forrestal often pisses people off because he's clearly a wild eyed fanboi with a healthy handle on adjectives.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »

Here's the Lion video just up. Versions looks pretty cool and really demonstrates to me how both the iCloud replication mechanism and versions works. I think delta movements, not just points in time, are journaled and shipped to the cloud which are forwarded down to subscribed devices. That's how the iPad can be right up to date with a computer - you're only catching tiny little deltas rather than the whole folder.

I wonder then if this works when 2 people are editing at the same time...? Or if two people have it open? Does it reflect changes in real time as you are working?

Creepy headache there.

Anyhoo, here's Lion: http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/#video-lion

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »

Here's a nice page at Apple with the 250 or so new features of Lion: http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html?aosid=p204&siteid=1503186&program_id=2554&cid=OAS-EMEA-AFF&tduid=18ea1eb65f14d798cfe76270d57303b1

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »

full screen... LOL
personally, i think he must have felt like a douche.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

Looked like hp's lol.

Here's my list of YEAY!
Wifi sync
OTA update of os.
Notification changes. THANK GOD. First stab was fail IMO.
Reminders. Todo apps exist, but the location aware reminders have great potential.
Camera. Launch from home screen, without unlocking. Huge YEAY for me. Huge.
Actions from home screen without unlocking. Like listen to a new voicemail.

Picture stream has potential. If you could hook up with others, like my mom could see my stream, that would be very cool.

Most of the iCloud stuff is meh to me. I already have all that, but yea, my mom doesn't because she is retarded. The only one, other than picture stream that interests me is the music match feature. Agreed, if I can download the songs, YEAY.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript