The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple updates. Hmmm.  (Read 3604 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »

This is a first for me.

iPad update: can't reach server during verification, dumped the whole thing had to start again.
Mac update: It doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that I'm ON iCloud, not that I have to move YET AGAIN from Mobile Me.
iPhone update: took 75 minutes soup to nuts
iPad update again: bricked iPad, had to restored to factory settings before I can even continue. Then we'll see if I can do the update AGAIN.

Yeah yeah, the servers are really busy today I'll be patient. But caveat updaitor...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »

They said on tv that blackberry network was down.

Global cyber warfare hack?

I dont use any of them, so i dunno

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »

Day 3 of blackberry fail ... lots of pissed off people with that one.

I don't think it's systemic, just bonehead programmers Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:38:08 PM »

SCORE - although I'm still having issues getting everything going, at least one major thing I've seen that is ROCKIN. Now, safari on the pad does not require the 2 finger scroll for divs with overflow. Inner scrolling areas work just like on the Mac now, and 99% like the rest of the pad. The only difference I see is that momentum doesn't apply to the inner scroll area.

NICE and about friggin' time.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:39:22 PM »

Another nice one... Split keyboard. Thumb typers of the world will rejoice. I'm using it right now and its pretty wild.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:56:41 AM »

But no multi finger gestures on the original iPad -- and since they are easily enabled on a jailbroken iPad, there's clearly no performance or technical reason why they couldn't have been included.  Smacks of intentionally keeping them from original iPad users for no good reason.  Annoying.

The updates went fine for me, except that, inexplicably, it took two hours to download the update for the iPad, while the iPhone update downloaded in 10 minutes.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:16:43 AM »

My wife's iPad is slow as hell now. Seems like a few people have also slowed down, but most speed up. Not sure what the issue is. But gonna do a full restore to see if that fixes it.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 08:17:10 AM »

My pad (at least in safari) seems quicker.
The home button doesn't always work to just take me back to the desktop anymore.
My clouded calendars are completely fubarred and ivelosta bunch of stuff (I'm backed up, but don't dare touch it till I figure this out)
Calendar on computer is completely gone.
Contacts are not syncing.

I have a lot to sort out today  Don't make me...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:39:30 AM »

Nuts check this out: http://gigaom.com/apple/benchmarking-the-ios-5-update/

Looks like iPad 1 is a mixed bag, iPad 2 is pretty much all faster...

Something I definitely notice (speedwise) is posting here, all the animated smileys don't seem to slow down the site anymore, and all run perfectly. JavaScript is also quicker.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »

I haven't been able to move from MobileMe to iCloud; maybe that's a good thing, given the problems others have experienced.  Every time I try I get a message that the servers are too busy and I should try later.

Battery life on my iPhone 4 seems to have diminished significantly, which is a big problem for me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »

Yeah, they've definitely scaled back access to the MM->iC conversion servers. I held off on my main account until I was sure I could get it right - now I can't seem to get in to do it.

I spent a few hours with the "geniuses" this morning and I feel better about my forward path, if not the time I've spent dealing with this stuff.

I think it will be great, but it's going to have to smooth out first. I'm going to continue to try upgrading about every hour now until I get it sorted. I've abandoned the accounts that got fubarred and am going to go clean into my main. We'll see how that does.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »

likely related:

"reports have detailed a large number of issues with the service, ranging from an inability to log on using long-owned Apple IDs and overloaded servers that won't process MobileMe migration requests to iOS online backup failures and duplicating Safari bookmarks."

Apple's iCloud launch woes evoke MobileMe's '08 debacle

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220833/Apple_s_iCloud_launch_woes_evoke_MobileMe_s_08_debacle
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »

It would be hard for them to duplicate that hootenanny. It's a high water mark for enterprise-size screw ups.

All the estimates I read implicate a load that is almost unfathomable, actually show big spikes in overall internet traffic itself. That's pretty damn big meng.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »

After trying periodically all day, I just tried again and the iCloud transitioned just fine.  Everything seems to be good; I got a bit of a scare at first, I pulled up the calendar on my iPad and there was nothing there but birthdays.  But then the other entries started appearing and I think they are all there now.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »

Yeah mine finally went as well. It looks as though it's syncing right and at least we're off to the races. Decided to keep my iTunes ID separate from my iCloud ID, I think that's going to work best.

Going to be looking at Dropbox though because of the imminent demise of iDisk, which PinkHat has been using to great effect for the last year.

Glas it's sorted for you DV8R

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript