The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 10:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple said to be working on 'world-mode' iPhone  (Read 3469 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »

This is to be expected since their contract with AT&T ends around that time or soon after.  But it's a little scary thinking about a multi-carrier iPhone.  It's got non-business world domination written all over it.  Apple will probably never have a chance at complete domination of the business world.  You can't be the "king of cool" while also appealing to the sensible corporate crowd.  In my opinion, it's often advantageous in corporate America to produce something that looks ugly but functions well.

Hell you could be the market leader and nobody even talks about you (win mobile).  But flare, fads and the challenge to dominate this slice of the market is all we hear about, yet it's just an annoying distraction IMO.  Android is a free software platform, for example Wink  Isn't it interesting to watch the nasty sharks like Verizon attempt to become the primary "provider" of Android?  As if naming something "Droid" will secure their marriage with it, and eventually obscure that annoying reality that they didn't even create it.  In all honesty, I think stories like "Apple braces for the impending Android Invasion" are the most ridiculous attempts to keep this artificially imposed and completely false virtual football game in play.  It's one of the reasons I like to post about Android - since the ultimate joke is on those misguided, mafia leaders (Verizon) scrambling to be the anti-iPhone.......... on a platform they didn't create and with taste they don't even have Roll Eyes

So the point of my ramble of the day is twofold.  First off, watch the hell out if the iPhone goes multi-carrier.  The only people left without an iPhone will be business users and those who refuse lengthy bloodsucking contracts, such as itto.  But more importantly, realize this: the UFC-style buzz that pits the iPhone against Android is like Mike Tyson battling enzymes to defend his title.  The funniest part, at least for me, is that the average magazine stand is filled with predictions about the outcome of the upcoming "battle."  Nobody has apparently found the clarity or courage to ask the critical question: what battle?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10392936-94.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »

The Mac rumor sites had this as well, Insider even had a picture of the new size here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/06/report_apple_to_launch_verizon_iphone_in_q3_2010.html

... it would seem that they are going after a slightly different niche if that is true. A 2.8" screen rather than 3.5, but CDMA capable is an interesting twist. Perhaps they've shown that internationally, the phone would be more attractive it smaller I dunno.

But I agree that if they go any-carrier they will be even harder to get after. Also agree that folks like Verizon are *desperate* to paint themselves as the brilliant owner of a phone so cool as the iPhone ... even though they really had very little to do with it.

Also, iPhone is making a lot more inroads into corporate culture than one might think... there is huge pushback from the controlling powers, but executives want iPhones, necessitating a reevaluation of the platform from a corporate perspective.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:17:59 AM »

quote author=isthisthingon link=topic=2090.msg17259#msg17259 date=1257647618]
Nobody has apparently found the clarity or courage to ask the critical question: what battle?
[/quote]
There are a heck of a lot more crapberries out there then IPhones.
Even a phone like the KP500 http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/kp500.jhtml
What does the iphone offer for the average user, that something like the KP500 does not.
It pretty much looks the same, it can play music and u can watch videos for like ~$150.

Reminds me of one of the consultants that works for my mother in laws company.
Asks me to look at his laptop. Anyway he has this gorgous leather laptop bag it is a work of art.
I think it is made by cartier, ~$2K+.
I am impressed. I am wondering what type of wonder laptop he has. So i open the bag.
Inside is this ancient laptop, it is running origional windoze 98  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Again what does he use his puter for.
A few emails, writing various reports. Browsing the web.
More then good enuff for his needs.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:59:12 AM »

What does the iphone offer for the average user, that something like the KP500 does not.
It pretty much looks the same, it can play music and u can watch videos for like ~$150.
It's a crap experience, by comparison. The Crapberries are essentially smart phones. The iPhone is a handheld computer that is ALSO a phone (Android phones, if built correctly and make use of what 'droid offers, fall into this category as well).

This argument was made a long time ago about Windows. "What else does a user really need to do?" But stats came back that showed the average Windows user was expert to proficient in 2.8 apps, while the average Mac user's average approached 10. Why? Because the overall experience is better, the usability is more evolved. The user is more excited to try more, and feels more successful about using the machine. The work that went into the iPhone's interface is paying off for them here, big time.

One can argue that it's about being able to play a video ... I'd argue that it's about my mother in law being able to play a video. BIG difference. That's why iPhone is gobbling up ground like there's no tomorrow and just beat Nokia as the most profitable cell phone manufacturer.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »

Nice try perks but your argument in this case does not work Smiley

Rolex watch company had a revenue of $3 billion year 2003.
So it is probably the most profitable watch company Smiley.

I could then probably find statistics to show people who wear rolex watches are more prompt.
They are more prompt since they have a better "user experience" when telling time.
Also people who wear rolex watches make more money, this is because of the importance of the "user experience" of telling time.
And if u wear a rolex watch u will get laid more, this is all because u are more prompt for your date.
Women like it when u are prompt for date u just want to fuk u more.
Also since higher income is directly correlated with higher IQ, rolex wearers are more intelligent.
I think it is because the user of a rolex watch become so excited telling time, he just wants to learn more things. And as he learns more things, he then makes more money, which causes him to buy a more expensive rolex which has a better user experience and increases all of these things Smiley

As an experiment I buy $100 fake rolex. It looked exactly the same as real rolex, but i think it lacked the "secret sauce".
Since I did not make more money, and i did not get laid more Smiley

I think iphone will probably keep thier 5%+ market share.
Like rolex they should be happy with it.
If they wish to break into the "common" market. Then they should adopt the timex strategy.
Have the main timex brand for the people who do not want a "user experience" when telling time Smiley.
Then have different high end brands for people who do wish a "user experience" when telling time.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:10:33 AM »

ROFLMAO

Actually the nice try is yours my friend.

First, Apple is not at 17% of the smart phone market. They are the fastest growing market share. They are on a tear.

an interesting statistic is that the majority of smart phone users gravitate towards the more expensive ones. I think this points to a notion that people who want those features, want them done right. IMO, if people are going to spend something on a "smart phone" then they will think twice before making price the main motivating element. Just sayin.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »

They are more prompt since they have a better "user experience" when telling time.

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

What i was trying to say is that obviously apple users will be using 10+ apps vs 2.8 apps.
Probably the same thing could be said about linux users. For linux users probably the figure is closer to 20+ apps Smiley.
Being a linux users on a MacBook, I can tell you that me using 20+ apps has nothing to do with user experience.

This must be where you are getting your figures from
http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1224645

IPhone has only 17% of smartphone sales.
Out of 308 million mobile phone units sold, only 41 million are smart phones, so iphone has only sold ~7 million units.

I choose the rolex example for watches. IPhone and rolex are similar.
IPhone is increasing sales among "tech savy" users because it is a superior product.
Rolex dispite its very small sales makes a huge revenue. Same with IPhone.
Some people (ie perks) will purchase an iphone because they are able to make full use of its features.
But quite a few people will purchase an iphone because it is a "trendy item".

So basically you have 2 modes of sales. Go for upper end, for the techie user price does not really matter, quality is what matters.
Or strip features (and cost) and go for mass production.

Apple right now has a pretty firm grip on the situation. Problem is some "smart" accounting guy comes in and saids well if we lower price by XX% we will get YY% increase in sales.

A lot of the "nokia" so called smart phones are not really so smart Smiley. Most of the LG phones are basically a mobile phone with a touch screen Smiley.

Also I am not sure what the real cost of an iphone is.
In USA an iphone with a contract is $300. While in PH,India etc the price is closer to $900.
In PH and India "contracts" for cellphones are non-existant since people prefer prepaid.
How much is the AT&T contract subsidizing the cost of IPhone ?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »

The iPhone price is 99, 199 and 299 for 8g 3G, 16G 3GS and 32G 3gs. It is reported (but not verified) that AT&T pays a $400 bounty for every new customer. It would say that those PH prices are a direct reflection of non-exclusivity... IOW, Apple gave AT&T exclusivity but they get subsidized heavily. I think that this setup was brilliant, because even though people might despise AT&T, the price point was acceptable enough to get the phone out there.

And if you consider this: 17% of the smart phone market in the short amount of time that it's been in existence is pretty amazing. Note that no other single phone has such penetration ... when it's compared, it's "Nokia vs. Apple" and such. I think that says a tremendous amount about the phone's draw.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »

In PH and India "contracts" for cellphones are non-existant since people prefer prepaid.

Interesting stat I didn't know.  I wonder if it's just that the people prefer pre-paid or that in other markets such as USA, people have this thing called a good credit rating that companies prey on.   Undecided

Then you can give phones away for free and leverage the population's need to maintain their good credit, gouging them slowly rather than honestly asking up front for appropriate compensation.

I'm jus sayin  Grin

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »

Then you can give phones away for free and leverage the population's need to maintain their good credit, gouging them slowly rather than honestly asking up front for appropriate compensation.
Note, then, that the phone is not free.

Just sayin  ROFLMAO

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »

@isthisthingon
I need to clarify my facts.
Globe is the company which iphone sign exclusive contract for in PH.
Prices are for latest model of iphone. I have ruffly converted to $$$
If you buy the phone out and out with no contract but locked to a globe sim ~$800-900
If I sign up for a ~$50 a month plan ~$250-300
If I sign up for ~$100 a month plan "free".

But here is the shit kiker regardless fone is locked to use globe.
Globe is very good in manila and other major cities, but in rural areas sucks shit.
SMART is more pricey but offers service in 99.9% of PH.

If you are a heavy texter, with globe for $0.50 unlimited texts per day.
For SMART $0.50 200 texts.
There are other smaller providers but they are of no consequence.
So for like ~$100 a month if I went prepaid I could talk almost constantly Smiley

Asia is a fuked up place. There are tons of "poor" people. But there are tons of people who do pretty good.
About credit.
My wife's cousin, just finished Uni last year. She just bought a brand new car.
She only makes ~$600 a month. I think $300 a month goes to car payment, the company she works for subsidizes with $100 a month.
There are quite a few people like that here. Again it comes down to disposable income.
She lives at home (she will live there till she get married) and children that live at home are not expected to contribute to the house.
So basically her $600+ she can do with what she pleases.
Also the company subsidizes, so that way it ties her to the company.

"credit" is very expensive here because of instability.
If there is gossip about an attempted coup is going to go down, gov't contractors will attempt to sell some of debt for the contracts.
For a gov't contract they do not pay for 6 months usually. In some cases they will discount thier paper for as much as 30%+.
So if you buy $700 you can get $1K in 6 months or less.
But risk is very great. It depends on the contractor. If the person who take over is an enemy of contractor, contractor will be possibly prosecuted for corruption and all his paper will be worthless.
Also filipino are very suspicous of "paper". So often u have to pay contracts in cash.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript