The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:40:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple press conference friday  (Read 2453 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:29:38 PM »

Free bumpers?
Magic spray to fix it?
Scotch tape?
A big FU?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »

Dunno. They don't do this often at all, and IMO you don't hold a press conference to pass out bumpers.

I REALLY hope they go straight rather than political on this one. Frankly, at this point, a full recall with 100% replacement would have cost a fraction of what the stock price has done.

(Not that I'm that upset - got out completely on a high and am loving it ATM, holding on to when I might jump back in...)

I'd say "strangely quiet" re. the content of the junket, but this is Apple after all  Roll Eyes

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »

It seems for once I was lucky not to jump first Wink

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »

Actually, I have no regrets at all - there's a PIA when calls get dropped, but the device is brilliant and Facetime is really frickin' cool. Nuts and I used it tonight, and I also watched Nuts say good night to his daughter from the data center the other day and that was STELLAR. So I don't have an issue - every damn phone I've ever purchased had some shit about it - we just expect brilliant perfection from the Apple boys and they did not get that far along this time. But I am certain they will.

It's actually kind of funny to me just how much of a stir there is - the unwashed masses are really lathered up. Of course, that's a lot Apple's fault for their attitude and marketing. Note we haven't seen an It Just Works commercial in a while... Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:00:58 AM »

the unwashed masses are really lathered up

At least they'll get clean...  Grin

It would be good if Apple announced some sort of fix or recall, the cynic in me wonders if they will just announce when the white iPhone is coming out!
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »

Yep problems aside, phone is worth it. Like perk said I have never had a phone without issues, except maybe an analog one from 18 years ago. Of course I probably melted 50 iq points using it.

Facetime. Tech support mojo in a box. Parents are getting on, and I will no longer have to play the "read me the menus and buttons" game with them.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »

Best thing I ever did, several years back, was move my mom to a Mac, and set her up on iChat.  Now whenever she has a computer problem, we just iChat and I do screen sharing with her, and then I can just fix the problem remotely, or I can teach her how to do whatever it is she's trying to do.  Saves me hours of frustration, and no more "read me the menus and buttons" game.

Now if only they had screen sharing on the Tivo and the iPhone, I'd be the happiest tech support guy in the world.  ;-)

-Mom's Tech Support Genius
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »

i ve tried that, but firewalls always seem to get in my way and cause more grief than its worth.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:47 PM »

Really?  I've never been able to get the "Back to my Mac" feature to work, I have too many routers and firewalls screwing things up and I've never been able to figure it out.  But the iChat screen sharing - if you can initiate a chat session, you can do screen sharing.  That's always worked fine despite multiple firewalls on each end.  So I'm confused as to why that wouldn't work for you.

It's worth a little experimentation, trust me -- I breathed a palpable sigh of relief one I realized I no longer had to try to translate the 'rents descriptions of what they were seeing on the screen into what they were actually seeing.

(One funny example:  my mom's husband kept complaining that the "fan" on his screen had disappeared.  I kept trying to get him to tell me what he meant by "the fan" and he'd say, "you know!  the fan!"  Turned out he was talking about the WiFi status icon in the menu bar.  That one gave me a laugh.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »

I realized what it is. They are announcing ios4.01

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript