The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:56:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple / iPad as a cage: Why that doesn't fit  (Read 3170 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:44:05 AM »

I've read about a bazillion threads/reports/articles now on how Apple is becoming the Evil Empire, the iPad is a cage, Apple's Disney-esque lock down of content is Orwellian and that the iOS is a terrible loss of functionality. I'd like to offer some counterpoint, which I'm certain is destined for flame, but here we go.

Last one first: iOS as a loss of functionality?
I assert that there's a lot more control in the way you can drive with a stripped down car - with a stick shift, roll down windows and a manually-tuneable radio. But that's just not what many consumers want anymore. There's no way that you could reliably/continually get the kind of economy out of that car that you can a new Prius (Oh stop it, Toyota will take care of the issues  ROFLMAO ) The essential function of moving forward, backward, turning etc is now a forgone conclusion. Much like the essentials of a GUI, word processing and email - we just don't even think about that being available on a machine anymore. IMO, many people do not want to deal with the stick shift, or the complexity of networking - they just want it to be a tool to get their desired result.

Some here will argue that this makes them stupid: I assert that it makes them much more efficient. They are not in love with, nor need they be in love with, the tech that is the superstructure of their tool. Clearly, if what you want to do is add tuned exhaust, adjust the mix yourself or decrease overall weight on the car, the newest offerings will not be to your liking. But that doesn't make the latest offerings any less strong, just different - and for a different target audience.

Apple == Evil Empire & Disney-esque Content Restrictions
Hmmm. Hard one to debate, because this is really about choice.

M$ got that name because they came to dominance *outside* of consumer choice. There really was no other game in town and businesses needed to purchase systems to make them go faster. Consumers are really only recently able to "choose into" M$ - now that there are really viable *nix alternatives, the Mac and such, people have much more option in the computer world. But before that, M$ could dictate what you did in your computing life because you had no option. Apple is definitely clamping down on what I can purchase as an app.

So since I have the option of a Droid or Nexus or Blackberry or Treo etc etc I am not locked into their vision - I have to choose into it. And the web really offers the workaround - the day that Apple installs un-choose-outable filters on the web is the day I abandon them. Since tube8 works on the iPhone (well, can't say for sure, I've never been there, ever. Really, it's true  Roll Eyes ) I believe Apple can deny apps from their store because it simultaneously is not what they want associated with their product, yet I can get what I want elsewhere.

Some will argue that since I've purchased the phone I should be able to do whatever I want with it. Well, you can. Write your own apps for it. There's nothing saying you can't, just don't expect to put it unrestricted into the Apple store.

As a dad to teenagers, I am acutely aware of the notion, "when you're in my home you'll abide by my rules" - I think it's similar. When they're out they can do whatever the hell they want. But in my space, not so much. Apple has that same right, whether everyone likes that or not. Now: Does this offer them marketing challenges and perhaps limit sales? Perhaps, I don't think they care. Which is also their right and privilege.

iPad as a cage
This is another perplexing idea. It assumes that you can do nothing other than purchase an iPad and you must abide by rules/laws or something that are all Apple. Well, if you choose to fork out the cash for their device, you've definitely chosen in. Every manufacturer on the planet, it seems, is already also in the game and ready to go. Analysts predict there will be 50 more tablet offerings in the marketplace before the end of the year - this *definitely* points to a lack of monopoly for Apple, and strong options for consumers.

The problem is that people want what Apple offers ... their way. "Listen Apple - I like what you've done, it's sexy and the bang for buck is good. But I don't want it that way, I want it my way. And if you don't give it to me my way, you're the evil empire and I live in a cage." Kind of like being able to go to Toyota and saying that you want a Prius with a Hemi. Or saying you want GMail, Wave or search engine placement without letting Google fondle your junk. Or purchasing Windows 7 Basic/whatever and saying you want the options available in Enterprise - why should those features be denied, dammit?

All purchases come with some form of concession. It's either more money, or privacy, or ability to modify or customize or or or ... the problem is that, much like Google Wave or GMail, the offering is really compelling. So the deal becomes a conundrum: am I willing to give up (privacy/money/the ability to modify etc) for (the product I am coveting)?

So wrapping up: Does Apple limit what you can do with their devices? Certainly. Does this piss some people off? Absolutely. Does this perhaps change the way they can be marketed or who will purchased them? No doubt about it. Is it a monopoly? No. Are they the evil empire? How can they be? They are not an empire I have to live in - they are a choice I can make.

Popcorn
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:48:44 AM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:22:24 AM »

OR...

"Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket." -Eric Hoffer
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »

"Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket." -Eric Hoffer

I think it's arguable that Apple is in the business phase, because they sure didn't seem to be in the 90s or before. And it's a *definite* possibility that their current trajectory leads toward racket. Thoughtful and timely, RC.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:25:25 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

A nice essay, but a total load of BS.
Nice how anyone can put a positive spin on things.

Majority of german's by 1933 thought that hitler was a great guy.
They liked hitler, from his 1922 rally hitler clearly stated that he would do a complete censorship of the press.
It was very good for germans when hitler controlled the press. Otherwise they could get contrary opinions which differ from hitler's. These contrary opinions often confuse people. Hitler did a great service preventing this from happening.

Included in the 1922 rally was how hitler planned to deal with undesirable races. Again majority of people where quite happen. The only people that where not happy where people who lived close to places like auschwitz. I guess when you burn up undesirable races and they go up the smoke stack. They create an annoying smell, and there is this clinking fine ash that sticks to all your clothes. But on the bright side, these camps provided a good source of gold and soap.

Again the majority of germans supported this. Also without undesirable people, and a press totally controlled by hitler the country operated much more efficiently. Again I ask. How can hitler be bad ? Hitler is a choice. You have the choice that you do what he saids, or you are relocated to a nice camp. You can tell what undesirables are in the camp. Why hitler even provided them with guard dogs for thier protection, and yet they still complain.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:49:26 PM »

"Never argue with someone who buys ink by the gallon." --usually attributed to Mark Twain
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »

Truly free choice without hooks and lock-ins is never in need of defense. 

Yet I believe Apple's greatest foe it faces right now has nothing to do with any of this.  They stand to lose one of their greatest strengths that was recently over-leveraged, perhaps for the last time, with contempt for all else but their own limelight.  Apple is quickly losing its relevance.  Nobody seems to care anymore except for a diminishing island of true gurus and an increasing supply of lemmings in search of cool.  At this point, discussing Act II of Steve Job's greatest life achievement would only be uttered by a parrot.

They might do well financially and for a very long time.  But imo they've sadly transitioned into little more than a brand-leveraging mission for maximum capital.  Good for them.  But in terms of IT intrigue  Undecided

I say forget "Apple" and honor the spirit of what really made them.  Those who "live this dream" still exist everywhere and are doing other things these days, exciting things 

>"Never argue with someone who buys ink by the gallon."

You underestimate nop_90  ROFLMAO

EDIT: Or was that a warning to perks? Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »

>or was that

or reminding nop about perks? You decide.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »

Majority of german's by 1933 thought that hitler was a great guy.
They liked hitler, from his 1922 rally hitler clearly stated that he would do a complete censorship of the press.
FFS NOP, you're a living example of Godwin's law  ROFLMAO

Yet I believe Apple's greatest foe it faces right now has nothing to do with any of this.  They stand to lose one of their greatest strengths that was recently over-leveraged, perhaps for the last time, with contempt for all else but their own limelight.  Apple is quickly losing its relevance.  Nobody seems to care anymore except for a diminishing island of true gurus and an increasing supply of lemmings in search of cool.  At this point, discussing Act II of Steve Job's greatest life achievement would only be uttered by a parrot.
Hmmm... I was with you through "relevance." It seems to me that an awful lot of people think they are fundamentally relevant at the moment, regardless of if that is right or wrong. The attention by app developers, content producers and media is pretty incredible I think. If you don't think Apple is currently relevant, then I don't think you're reading objective literature. Again, not putting a positive or negative spin on it... just acknowledging the pretty vast amount of coverage and analysis they are getting right now.

They might do well financially and for a very long time.  But imo they've sadly transitioned into little more than a brand-leveraging mission for maximum capital.  Good for them.  But in
terms of IT intrigue  Undecided
It's unfortunate that you have so low an opinion of them. That is short, or at least narrow sighted IMO. If IT intrigue is focused on developments of heretofore unseen miracles, then you are spot on. If tech is about solutions then they are in the avante garde. IMO, of course.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »

Nop is hot. Perk loves Nop.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »

Hmmm... I was with you through "relevance." It seems to me that an awful lot of people think they are fundamentally relevant at the moment, regardless of if that is right or wrong. The attention by app developers, content producers and media is pretty incredible I think. If you don't think Apple is currently relevant, then I don't think you're reading objective literature.

Relevant in terms of a technology company more interesting to follow than Microsoft, IBM, HP, Dell, Oracle and the like.  Nothing wrong with that - I follow them too.  However as an IT enthusiast they are rather uninteresting to me in general.  Frankly IBM's cloud computing push that preceded Microsoft and the rest on the list is more interesting to me than anything else from these companies right now.

But as an example, listening to Microsoft cleverly appeal to our primitive need to have the "best" tool set is about as interesting to me as a Budweiser commercial.  At least Budweiser is funny.

Where I'm living people talk about Apple like a nice decadent PC/iWhatever choice much like they discuss hot new televisions.  Cool, fun and hobby-like but not a big winner in terms of the relevant, dominant, utility computing technologies of the day.  Mostly open source in these clouds 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »

Nop luvs perk.
Me and perk are going to washington to show are eternal luv and help boost the american economy  ROFLMAO

Pretty much sums it up here.
American Soldiers in the Philippines Write Home about the War
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/58/
A forgotten footnote about how USA liberated the philippines from the big evil spanish.

And history repeats itself. Whether it is some poor ruskie getting his ass shot off in afganistan bringing marx to the savages.

Or some poor yank or cannuck getting his ass shot off in the same butt fuk country 20+ years later bringing freedom and democracy to the same savages.

The sergant's job is the hardest, it is where the BS has to stop. Higher up in the chain of command some officer can issue orders about capturing hill XXX what ever glorious reason. But the sergant is the one that actually has to tell the men, we are going to charge up this hill, half of you are going to end up dead. For it is at him the BS stops.

I honestly wonder if people believe the BS they spout.
If they do, people must be very good at lying to themselves.

Anyway i just enjoy throwing rocks into the pond to see a splash.
How fast do you have to run to out run a tiger ? Just slightly faster then the other asshole with you.

Yah and make sure you do not end up going up a smoke stack or being turned into soap.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »

However as an IT enthusiast they are rather uninteresting to me in general.  Frankly IBM's cloud computing push that preceded Microsoft and the rest on the list is more interesting to me than anything else from these companies right now.
Totally get that, totally. I think the most interesting part of their offering is that it's *not* about technology. They fascinate me from a human perspective much more than "technology." Reminds me, I need to call. Nuts and I are on to some big poop and you'd enjoy hearing about it.

At least Budweiser is funny.
ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Where I'm living people talk about Apple like a nice decadent PC/iWhatever choice much like they discuss hot new televisions.  Cool, fun and hobby-like but not a big winner in terms of the relevant, dominant, utility computing technologies of the day.  Mostly open source in these clouds 
Makes a lot of sense, totally get it.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »

Nop luvs perk.

Anyway i just enjoy throwing rocks into the pond to see a splash.
How fast do you have to run to out run a tiger ? Just slightly faster then the other asshole with you.

Yah and make sure you do not end up going up a smoke stack or being turned into soap.
Yaseee? That's why Perk loves him some Nop.  Smooch

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 11:09:02 PM »

>Nuts and I are on to some big poop and you'd enjoy hearing about it.

Seriously cool and I'd love to hear about it!  Based on the complexity of doing things "right" in the cloud arena, I'd wager you've got a decade worth of riches to harvest before the big players squeeze out the more cleeeeeever of swashbuckling cloud entrepreneurs.
On another more me-centric note, assuming I pass the test, next Wednesday night I'll be a Certified ScrumMaster   

Also I've been going deep into the SaaS magic blend of Agile, configuration management, and the notion of DevOps to "pave the highway" for Rapid Application Development to take consistent and repeatable flight.  Christ what am I, the Sky Mall?  But as we've discussed in the past, there's nothing more satisfying in work than an incredibly complex game of chess that you can master with patience and effort. 

Nerd

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript