The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:26:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple iOS 4.0 Multitasking  (Read 1811 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199528/multitasking_with_ios_4_is_horrible_apple_blew_it.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

One reporter's opinion.  Any counter arguments out there from anyone actually using iOS 4.0?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »

I think the guy is a bit off.

On the surface it seems dumb that every app ends up in the tray, because it "implies" that all of those apps are using resources. They are not. The only resources that can be used in "real time" are audio playback, location service, and local notifications not just push, and probably a few data things like upload completion i think is one. There is no need to ever access the task list unless something got fubar'd.

Frankly i cant think of what else you would need to background actively on a freakin phone, other than GPS and music. Sure you could say "but i want to be able to decrypt my DVDs on my phone while I upload my pirated software, AND play a game at the same time, but that would label you a moron.

I don't know what the guy is thinking he can't do that he should be doing on a PHONE?

Yes, the hypocrisy of the task manager statement is a bit silly on Steves part.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:28:45 PM »

The guy is actually way off. (Caveat: Not currently on my own phone, but children are and I've played with it quite a bit)

First the "add special code" bit is a complete farce. You simply recompile your code with the new APIs and fast switching is built in. There's literally nothing to do except hit "Build" again and post the app.

Second, the notion of "what the best trick of multitasking is" is even farther off base. Apple did a brilliant job of analyzing what is actually done with a phone, then exposing APIs that facilitate those in a non-battery-impacting way. The only challenge will be for idiots that don't want to understand a different way of doing things, who think that the only way to do it is to write their own daemons. It's ridiculous to assume that we want our phones to do everything and anything that a full blown computer does. Well, if you are one to blow your battery on such nonsense, then there are phones for you. But the iPhone will not be one. Bravo, I say. And this will be the way of iOS 4 for the 'pad as well. And personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the battery time and don't want to surrender it to some bonehead that doesn't know how to write a quiet background app.

Waiting for a YouTube video to buffer over a 3G connection? It won't go anywhere unless you're staring at the loading screen.
Well, if the YouTube app is not updated then it may just go that way. YouTube will need to hook into the same service for background pushing/pulling to effect that change. The Skype people commented that it took about a dozen lines for them to update their app to be connected to the phone API. The Flickr people said it took a couple dozen and a day to get it sorted out to add background uploads to their app. So what this really points to is laziness on the developer's part, not Apple problems: "I don't want to have to recode and could give a shit about the user experience. I just want to run my app in the background managed by the OS, rather than coding something that actually works in harmony with the device."

Let's be clear about what iOS4's multitasking is: Rather than run multiple apps at the same time, iOS4 freezes the ones that aren't in use, with the exception of certain functions. Music, for instance, can play in the background, VoIP apps can answer calls and GPS apps can give directions.
Yes, let's be clear: multitasking is the ability to do multiple things at once. This does NOT mean an exclusive alignment with the *nix notion of multitasking. That is perhaps the largest problem: if multitasking can only be defined by the way a full blown computer does it, then it falls short. But if multitasking means, literally, to be able to do lots of things at once then it is perfect. Again, the deal here is that the multitasking is executed in a way that is not as familiar to the writer, so he sees it as "sloppy." I'm really at a loss as to how he thinks the "full benefit of multitasking" is unavailable and what, exactly he thinks is missing. Perhaps for a game to continue to run while I'm not looking at it? What? What he's missing is that the GUI is not multitasking. IE., a game will not continue to run because it makes no sense AT ALL for it to continue to run while I'm in another task. But true tasks (like, where am I, play my music, listen for calls, continue my uploads, watch for messages and alert the user etc etc) are all available.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:54:18 AM »

Perhaps Apple went a little too hard trying to promote iOS4 as multi-tasking for this author's taste  Undecided 

I remember writing "multi-roped" apps in VB6 by shelling out to ActiveX instances and achieving effective multi-tasking.  Single threaded message pump instantiating n-instances using the OS to handle threading, not the language.  But I imagine if I tried to sell these apps as multi-tasking to a Java programmer, they would grumble about it.  Perhaps this is different but when people get it in their heads that multi-tasking is X, Y & Z, convincing them that W, X & Y is also multi-tasking is impossible to do.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript