The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:36:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple DID reject Google, and lied about it LOL!!!  (Read 3604 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »

Here's the fresh dirt. 

The filing had portions of it kept private but it was just released in it's full unedited version: http://wireless.fcc.gov/releases/9182009_Google_Filing_iPhone.pdf.

Apple had claimed that they were still considering the app and had "in no way rejected it": "According to the posting, the company has—despite media reports—“not rejected the Google Voice application, and continues to study it.”" (http://www.macworld.com/article/142406/2009/08/apple_fcc_google_voice.html)  Looks like Apple hoped Google would keep it confidential since it revealed elements of Google's proposed offerings they didn't want the whole world to know. 

Google says: alright screw it - we'll risk revealing our business direction and corporate interests. 
In exchange for this, yes Apple - you did in fact reject our application.  Now go apologize to mom, and the rest of the world Don't make me...

It's like an IT version of Bring It On  ROFLMAO

Truth is stranger than fiction...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:16:42 PM »

I wonder how much bad PR Apple has got from these iPhone app screwups.. Every month there seems to be another fucked up decision by Apple who's only rejecting apps based on their own profit. Well I guess it starts to show that when you get BIG, things are not so flexible anymore.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »

hang on ... apple may well have done that. but that's the complainant's document and not a court decree ... I could say the same about you and that 13 year old. I think it's totally possible that Apple did this ... but let's wait to see what is decreed, rather than what is asserted.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 12:02:23 AM »

hang on ... apple may well have done that. but that's the complainant's document and not a court decree ... I could say the same about you and that 13 year old. I think it's totally possible that Apple did this ... but let's wait to see what is decreed, rather than what is asserted.
But in the end it really doesn't matter what the court says. Court is about money and getting your way by force. Everybody knows that Apple rejected and will reject all voice apps as long as court doesn't force their hand.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:05:59 AM »

Totally possible. But since we are a system of laws, it is important that we remember, innocent until proven guilty. Actually, I am of the opinion that Apple did it, but I think it's irresponsible to assert it until the courts have weighed in. Google is no slouch man, they can take care of themselves and let's not imagine that they don't have their own agenda ... there are two sides saying that THE OTHER is lying. Let's see how it plays out.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:58 AM »

Totally possible. But since we are a system of laws, it is important that we remember, innocent until proven guilty. Actually, I am of the opinion that Apple did it, but I think it's irresponsible to assert it until the courts have weighed in. Google is no slouch man, they can take care of themselves and let's not imagine that they don't have their own agenda ... there are two sides saying that THE OTHER is lying. Let's see how it plays out.
Yeah but my opinion is that it's Apple's device and they can do whatever they want. If they reject apps, so what? If it brings public outrage, it's Apple's problem and maybe they should adjust the way they make decisions. But overall I think it's ridiculous that Google cries about this when they have their own phone for fuck sake. I'm actually losing respect towards Google more and more nowadays. Every decision they make seems to be just worse from the previous one. Same goes for Apple. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and their products but they haven't done any innovation since iPhone. Apple has specialized more and more into bringing in small improvements and making huge deal out of them and they are really good at it. Apple used to be innovative force but I think they are really scrambling behind the scenes to keep up with huge customer service demands that comes with all the products they make nowadays. They are bringing in the tablet but I'm not sure if it's going to be very innovative or repackage of old things done more elegantly. I'll probably love the tablet like I do iPhone but that doesn't mean Apple is actually doing very much new stuff. But I guess it hasn't been Apple's strongest aspect ever to innovate new technology. They started with that but got raped by other players and finally with Steve's return found their way in rehashing current stuff in beautiful, more functional package.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 12:39:20 PM »

Yeah but my opinion is that it's Apple's device and they can do whatever they want. If they reject apps, so what? If it brings public outrage, it's Apple's problem and maybe they should adjust the way they make decisions.
Well exactly ... note that I offer no value judgement in my last post... only that they probably did dump it. Hell - look at the new litigation against the Magic Jack people for forcing clients to use THEIR call-in meeting service and blocking the phone number to others... this shit goes on all the time. And the market will (or won't) adjust for it.

I agree - it's Apple's game, they can play it what they want. Note the lack of outcry about the new M$ rules, restrictions and charges ... because nobody wants it. Everybody wants to be in on Apple's game. So everyone wants to change how Apple does it to satisfy themselves. Too bad, so sad. If you want to ride Space Mountain, you have to abide by Disney's entrance rules. Quite simple IMO.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »

I thought it was obvious Apple rejected them in the first place.  But having Apple deny this then seeing this information declassified was more like a soap opera than anything else.  I mean how ridiculous would it be if the FCC actually began probing Apple simply because Google said Apple rejected them?  It's obvious.  If there never was a rejection Apple would simply say - they're crazy, we're almost done with the approval process.  Google would have their pants down for no reason, AT&T wouldn't have even been contacted, the whole thing would be a totally lame and dead in the water false assertion by Google who would just look terrible for zero reason.

It's just funny to me that Apple panicked and lied up front about what obviously happened.  IMO Apple is best when garnering grass roots support for being the cool, innovative underdog but doesn't swim with the sharks as effectively as Microsoft, IBM and others who place innovation way behind cutthroat methods of staying on top.

Apple used to be innovative force but I think they are really scrambling behind the scenes to keep up with huge customer service demands that comes with all the products they make nowadays.

I agree.  Also I liked Steve Job's influence as more of an incubator like with the Next than playing another Balmer type.  He's the reason Pixar is on the map and completely changed hollywood forever because of his vision.  Jobs found a couple geniuses with a massive rendering mainframe but zero concept of what to do with it.  He bought them and their massive mainframe, called it Pixar, went broke in the process, and produced the infamous little lamp short animation that won awards at animation festivals.  Jobs tried to sell Disney on the potential but Disney laughed at the prospect of a "completely computer generated animation," just like IBM laughed at the inventor of the photocopier.  Zerox didn't.  Then Toy Story hit the screens and the rest is history.

My point is I personally think Jobs has been more effective at bringing things to life than "managing shareholder interests."  Perhaps he should be an adviser for new initiatives at Apple not a general manager 

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »

Footnote: Imagine the kind of tablet Apple would produce if Jobs was totally dedicated to making it great?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »

My point is I personally think Jobs has been more effective at bringing things to life than "managing shareholder interests."  Perhaps he should be an adviser for new initiatives at Apple not a general manager 

<combine>

Footnote: Imagine the kind of tablet Apple would produce if Jobs was totally dedicated to making it great?

Totally agree. He's an arteest and should execute himself that way. The board should say, "Jobs: go be yourself 1000% and make great shit. We're right behind you." Then let the board begin to be a board that stands great without him... the soap opera of his health and the roller coaster it caused on the street was just nothing but bad. The cult of personality that is Steve, linked (such as it is) to corporate profits is not healthy.

But I don't think anyone would argue that Apple is Back (read: market capitalization/valuation) because of Steveo and his unique vision... so much smarter people than me would have to figure that separation out.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »

Actually he was 100% dedicated to it. Didn't somebody from Apple just said that after he came from the leave he dedicated solely to the tablet. So yes, I guess Apple understands Steve's strengths also.

The cult of personality that is Steve, linked (such as it is) to corporate profits is not healthy.
Well, Steve is the only rockstar in the business right now in the era where there isn't even real rockstars anymore. And rockstars gets worshiped and followed. Just watch what kind of following Nirvana still has because of Kurt Cobain or how Jimi Hendrix is like a god amongst guitar players. In my opinion nowadays company can't really make it really big without really charismatic lead sing.. CEO I mean. People are craving for authenticity after the plastic era we have been living for the past 15 years.

I'm not sure if healthy is the correct word. I would say that Apple & Steve have a lot to do if they want to keep their current status. Apple has done brilliantly what Microsoft should have done in user experience field. It beyond me how Microsoft can't get it right even they have all the resources in the world, same goes for Nokia. It's actually really funny how people never realize how vulnerable big companies can be when they are at the top but few years later when they are down it's so obvious. Just look at Nokia. 10 years ago they were the King. Now they are screaming for mercy even they are still the biggest mobilephone supplier. Who the fuck wants Nokia phone anymore? Not even finns, I should know, I live here. Their average price has dropped from 100 euros to 60 euros in few years. All it took was Motorola coming up with Razr, Apple coming out with iPhone and slow reaction time towards new trends from Nokia executives. It can also come in the form of bad financial decision. For Nokia it was the purchase of that map company with ridiculous price. I remember reading somewhere that with current margins it will take well over 10 years to cover that deal and that map company just made over 300 millions minus last year. When Apple is going to make the same mistake? Maybe they already have and that forces them to price tablet so high it doesn't sell enough to cover the costs of development. I don't know but these are all possibilities. All I'm saying that unexpected things happen.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »

What I mean by unhealthy is what it does to public perception.

It is reasonably well known that Steveo has had little to do with the details of the OSX progression, other than a high level approval. The apps like Logic, final cut, aperture, the whole iLife suite, even most of the iPod updates have been because much of Steve's attitudes and vision *have* been institutionalized - these things went on and got greater without Steve doing his Steve thing. I agree that he is the driving force behind so very much - but they will have to figure out how to continue that without depending on a frail man who's in remission from pancreatic cancer.

If they don't figure it out, they're doomed to the same lackluster fate of the late 80s, early 90s.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »

Maybe they already have and that forces them to price tablet so high it doesn't sell enough to cover the costs of development.

I wondered about this too.  It's all speculation of course, but rumors of $999 when slick new Win 7 netbooks are available for $500 might price them out of profitability.  Of course some people will pay for the Apple product they really want.  But for the market majority it would be hard to justify a 200% difference in price when there's only so many tablet features people want anyway.  Size is the real deal, since a far better price to features ratio is available in the saturated laptop market.

Apple has to compete against itself in this regard as well.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »

People complained about the iPhone's price as well ... but the benefits outweighed the price. I can only imagine that, since the advent of the iPod and iPhone and the recent pricing of Snow Leopard, Apple is keenly aware of this angle.

Currently, the best rumor sites have it at $699 ->$899. Still high, but Apple has repeatedly said that the "netbook niche" is a loser and they have no intention of competing there. I can only imagine that they've figured out a way to create a machine that will, just like the iphone, essentially create it's own niche. So comparing it price-wise to a netbook will probably not be valid.

Or not. Might be that they're all geared up for a huge FAIL. I'd love to imagine that they are on the cusp of the God Device, but until it's on the street, who knows?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript