The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:36:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple dethrones Microsoft as world's biggest tech company  (Read 6778 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:18:34 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/apple-market-cap-surpasse_n_590854.html

I guess all those dismissed concerns about Apple and monopolistic practices are back on the table.  Remember, you don't have to become the biggest to be a valid focus of concern.  All you have to do is behave monopolistically to become worthy of consideration 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rasputin
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »

Bah... wait for the US economy to collapse and Apple will go with it. Whereas Microsoft holds most of the international market, when I lived overseas for over 14 years, I hardly ever saw an apple product. (maybe once or twice)

Either people will start to become more technologically savvy and realize that Apple treats their knowledge like a joke, or the economy collapses and people cant afford $600+ for a giant itouch.

Well, that or people just become to stupid to care.. Using a computer without knowing what you are doing has become too easy

No links in signatures please
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »

>Using a computer without knowing what you are doing has become too easy

Completely agree.  Of course this board has plenty who fiercely disagree with this.  But it's illuminating to consider that Apple feels the exact opposite and coincidentally cares about little more than their own money mission.  So go ahead and listen to those guys who would have your lion claws filed down to render you harmless to stop their plans of an uber-stoopid, instant-gratification-based new world order  ROFLMAO

It's all fun and games until those piles of discretionary cash dwindle.  Then people look around and feel like an iIdiot for amassing such extravagant optionals.  I enjoy toys too but keeping a healthy mental distinction between a hobby and tools worth their ROI is important  Nerd

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »

All technology moves to the masses.
The masses never know how the technology works.

Ask 10 random people how a lightbulb works, and 8 of them will tell you, "I flip a switch and it turns on".

The fact is, technology cannot be known by all. You yourselves dont know how everything you use works.

Most dont know dick all about their car, but they drive perfectly well.
Most dont understand how thermostat works, or their heating/ac.

Why is a computer put into such a magical category? Is it because we are still in the midst of that transition from voodoo to you do?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:24:16 PM »

ROFLMAO @ nb
And the financial wizards of the world probably know the least about computers Smiley
Fuking markets are nervous.

Too much uncertainty.
USA has too much debt.
EU is fuked up.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »

We all use computers every day and many do so without realizing it.  My point is not related to using just any computer like the one telling you to turn right... in about 1 miles.  It's about people who actually buy a computer for the sake of having the features it provides.  Computers aren't magically different than any other tool, and neither are acetylene torches.

Many years ago there were predictions of pilotless planes just around the corner.  I may not know much about all of the technologies my life is surrounded by.  But I can "fly."  And considering the virtually endless possibilities that a computer can produce, like the chaos-theory complications of predicting air turbulence which makes a truly pilotless plane vastly more challenging than we estimated, I don't imagine the skill sets involved will become antiquated anytime soon.  Well, at least before the passing of your great grandchildren  ROFLMAO

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

I think more interesting question is that why should people know how technology works? If you feel like you need to know how something works to have/use it, then you have a real problem or can you give me a solid theory how universe works? You are here because universe has immutable laws that make it work and as a byproduct, you can exist without falling apart. Now for example most people still think there's this thing called gravity that pulls things towards it. However Einstein proved concept of gravity as wrong theory but still majority of people believe that's how it is. But does that false believe how universe works invalidate their right to exist? In my opinion no.

All questions are equal, only scope in your mind changes.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »

I think more interesting question is that why should people know how technology works?

They shouldn't, and that's the point.  JK.  Wait, did you just actually say that?? 

Oh yeah, I'm one of those people you may have read about commonly referred to as a "hacker."  The very essence of my soul strives to understand everything around me as completely as possible.  Walling off some "unimportant" section causes me to investigate things more deeply.  It's just a core difference.  I'm not of IBM blood...

rasputin
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 01:43:02 AM »

Well, my pet peeve isnt with 70 year old grandma's who use a computer to log on outlook and cant do anything else... or that group of tech users...

my pet peeve is the group of Apple users who think they are technologically gifted by choosing an Apple. When they claim things about viruses, better stats, etc etc a apple is the best computer, better programs for making movies and shitty enhancements for pics.

thats when it gets annoying and I wish to say:

No. You paid 2x more than necessary for a computer that you dont even know how to use anywhere near a capacity that deems that price worthwhile. If you are going to talk about technology, then learn whats involved.

Its like the little kids who went about buying fisher-price building blocks and thought they could roll in the lego kids wagon.   Mobster aint gonna happen.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:45:27 AM by rasputin » Logged

No links in signatures please
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:57:47 AM »

my pet peeve is the group of Apple users who think they are technologically gifted by choosing an Apple. When they claim things about viruses, better stats, etc etc a apple is the best computer, better programs for making movies and shitty enhancements for pics.

thats when it gets annoying and I wish to say:

No. You paid 2x more than necessary for a computer that you dont even know how to use anywhere near a capacity that deems that price worthwhile. If you are going to talk about technology, then learn whats involved.

Its like the little kids who went about buying fisher-price building blocks and thought they could roll in the lego kids wagon.   Mobster aint gonna happen.
Actually it's about buying a computer that WORKS without me knowing ANYTHING about underlying technology. It just has to look cool, work and let me do my shit. In my life I have spent so many hours fighting with Windows and Linux that I would pay a lot more for Apple computers with OS X than what they cost today. I mean A LOT more. Honestly I have problem understanding why someone would choose Windows or Linux as their operating system. It's like constant nightmare with those systems. To me it seems that Linux & Windows are made to break so you can use them as much as possible. I don't want to use Linux or Windows because they are constantly delaying me from getting stuff done.

This has always been next to impossible for hardware & Linux/Windows people to understand. It's not about technology, it's about technology that works seamlessly. When you don't know what's involved and you don't care, you just want a computer that works. Oh and did you heard that there's this free operating system called Linux that works GREAT. If I want to use USB stick, I just have to recompile the kernel but hey, it's free and open-source.

You just obviously don't get it and you probably never will. It's not that we are more technologically gifted, we are just less masochist than you.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »

Bah... wait for the US economy to collapse and Apple will go with it. Whereas Microsoft holds most of the international market, when I lived overseas for over 14 years, I hardly ever saw an apple product. (maybe once or twice)

Either people will start to become more technologically savvy and realize that Apple treats their knowledge like a joke, or the economy collapses and people cant afford $600+ for a giant itouch.

Well, that or people just become to stupid to care.. Using a computer without knowing what you are doing has become too easy
Hah! Another one. You'll find both teammates and adversaries here on this one, Rasputin.

But it's really rather easy for me to ascertain your level of ignorance on the topic, since you'd equate the 'pad to a giant 'touch. You've clearly not gleaned the importance of the changes afoot, irrespective of the manufacturer.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »

@ technologically gifted by using Apple: fair enough, but hardly relegated strictly to Apple users. Spend my days talking to people of the Microshaft persuasion that feel exactly the same. Religion is religion. You simply choose to hate Apple more.

Check your facts. The Price x 2 argument is antiquated and silly. In a true apples for apples comparison (no pun intended) the Apple line is one of the best values on the market.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »

Welcome back fanboi!!   ROFLMAO

perks is relentless rasputin.  You'll find him a tireless    for Apple.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »

Let's back up a bit.

Re. monopoly: Apple is the second largest company by market capitalization, not by market share for OS. They are slowly making huge headway into the phone market and clearly have the MP3 market sewed up. Of course they own the 'pad form market at the moment, but that will attenuate when real Android (et al) competitors are in the market as well. Clearly, since the street is pointing towards upwards of 50 viable competitors for the space before the end of the year, there are choices in the marketplace.

Definition of Monopoly:
A situation in which a single company or group owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. By definition, monopoly is characterized by an absence of competition - which often results in high prices and inferior products.

For a strict academic definition, a monopoly is a market containing a single firm.
The definitions for monopoly all run this way. Apple was, without question, the best buzz machine and reality distortion field that the tech world has ever seen. But they hardly have a monopoly and I reject that argument out of hand. Apple does command a powerful presence, but the thought that because people purchase more of one thing over the other does not lend itself to monopoly, it lends itself to superior product, or superior marketing, or both.

@ Technology and knowing how it all works: This is the oldest and worst of the strawman arguments. Please tell me that my mother in law understands electrical resistance enough to describe why the box on her kitchen countertop makes bread golden brown. The thought that we must feel our technology - that we must understand how an email application was developed for us to be able to viably use it is silly. There are some, particularly VSloathe that have demonstrated irrational fear of unknown code as long as I have known them - and that's cool, it's their bailiwick. But that does not make it either a valid concern or legitimate argument for why Apple's tech is what it is.

My argument in favor of the iPad and the way that Apple has developed OS-X is why I liked Delphi for so very long. I had the option to create classes and structures that were fantastically elegant and simple to look at. Yet, when I needed it, I could go inline assembly without changing so much as my way of thinking. The 'pad offers me appliance style computing for my appliance-like needs: get my mail, check the web, read feeds, plus a bevy of excellent tools for me to actually do most of my real work as well. I neither need nor want the involve any more complexity in that day-to-day work than is necessary. Even my notebook is more complexity than I want there. To ignore the notion that we have hit an age of appliance style computing is either a head-in-the-sand perspective or a chosen anachronism.

Like the vast majority here, I have a singularly impressive desktop station for developing and the more technically intricate attributes of my work. And I can go from world-class GUI that, frankly, I never ever need to reboot until I want to, right down to scripting in a bash shell script in terminal windows (which I do all the time). In fact the spectrum of tools that I have open all the time on my machine is likely to cause the uninitiated quite a sense of intellectual vertigo and has taken years for me to fully cultivate. There are some here (Nuts, in particular comes to mind) that have done the same with Windows machines and that's rockin'. But the majority of people I come into contact with are not skilled enough to tweak a windows machine into the same fighting trim as him - ergo, the It Just Works aspect of a Mac is one of the best selling, and most impressive, features.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »

Welcome back fanboi!!   ROFLMAO

perks is relentless rasputin.  You'll find him a tireless    for Apple.
Thanks ITTO, nice to be back Smiley A week straight of diving Little Cayman was getting rather boring  Roll Eyes I miss it already...

So funny that you always choose to put it in that light though. Check the opposing arguments: "Wait for Apple to collapse..." "Apple treats their knowledge like a joke..." "Apple cares little more than about their money mission" "...people are just too stupid to care..." "Apple users... Technically gifted..." "you paid 2x more for a computer you don't even know how to use..."

The arguments against the Mac, iPhone and iPad are perpetually subjective and hate-Apple based. In this case particularly, we have a highly opinionated person that has, by his/her own admission only "seen an Apple product 2 or 3 times" ... well that certainly makes for an objective judgement.

This is a technical board. My position will always be for objective discussion about technologies that are good/bad/better/worse and love it when people of knowledge come share it. Frankly, when people that are ignorant to the product or the capability then want to cast aspersions to those that choose to use it, it's hatethreading at the most base level. And needs to be addressed.

My personal fanboiness (or not) aside, it irks me to no end when the discussion runs to "stupid people paying too much for underpowered technology." It's flat out wrong. Remember: I use all of it everyday. My choice of technology was not, nor ever is, based on a fanboi perspective: for me it has GOT to be the best or it does not get put on my desk, in my bag or in my pocket. Period. I have both the money, time, inclination and capability to test and run hard with a huge spectrum of technology everyday. I have the years experience to know the difference.

So why, in all of that tirade, would I choose to look stupid paying too much for underpowered technology? Could it be that, in fact, the Apple products are the best tool for the job? Especially my job?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript