The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple buys LaLa  (Read 1432 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »

Frankly I have absolutely no opinion on this one: http://www.pcworld.com/article/183804/what_apples_lala_acquisition_may_mean_for_itunes.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

However, as a result I became concerned, because I realized I'm way too opinionated  ROFLMAO  Well ok I have a thought I'll share.  I'm in agreement with Paul (article writer) that eventually streaming music as a service will become more of the norm as opposed to physically storing music locally.  I realize this is a creepy thought and I'm one of those who just "feels" better when my music is stored on hard drives I can see.  But let's face it, I'll never be as good with my personal disaster recovery plan as Apple, LaLa, etc.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »

There are some folks out there opining that this is Apple's way of buying and dumping the service, like maybe they have something else in the works.

However I'm with you and really don't know what it means, except that as we see Apple moving more and more towards "don't have it on your hard drive, have the world available to you at any time via OUR cloud services" this makes some sense.

Personally I don't like it, I'm an olde world hacker. I like "owning" my music - at least at the moment. I like having stuff within my local domain and not having to rely (or more specifically, pay for) access to someone else's hard drive because it's pseudo-convenient. I don't mind occasionally paying for a movie download from Apple (Star Trek HD was one) but for the most part, I don't want to rent my content. It means too much to me.

Yes, I am certainly in line to take a drink from those attractive ponds in La Brea. Perhaps my kids will be different. I don't know that I will be. Could be backassward, but we'll have to see how it all goes. If anyone can convince me, it'll probably be Apple.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »

Personally I don't like it, I'm an olde world hacker. I like "owning" my music - at least at the moment. I like having stuff within my local domain and not having to rely (or more specifically, pay for) access to someone else's hard drive because it's pseudo-convenient. I don't mind occasionally paying for a movie download from Apple (Star Trek HD was one) but for the most part, I don't want to rent my content. It means too much to me.

Ditto

As much as I yap endlessly about the wonders of cloud computing, I'm extremely uncomfortable about relinquishing my control over content that matters.  Ironically, I'm currently "stuck" in a position where I have a huge music investment in my 80GB iPod plugged into my car that has content that has since disappeared from my PCs.  My backups have portions of this but none have the exact iTunes library I worked so hard to create.  It's causing me to feel less comfortable about "owning" this music since my ultimate goal is to be able to access the music I want when I want it.  I'm willing to pay for this but want to be sure whatever I purchase remains accessible. 

This is one reason I'm a huge fan of destroying DRM forever.  Entropy dictates that physical media of any kind will die eventually.  All we can do is manage this window by purchasing new hardware to refresh the progress bar of death.  I'm still right with you on wanting to "own" the music I've purchased and collected.  But when I zoom out and look at things from a macro-time perspective, I'm not sure if I'll ever be as responsible with managing these things as the massive corporations with 24/7 dedication to it. 

I'll never completely let go of stuff that I've collected.  But I also see that I'm more driven by the fear of having things stripped away from me than by common sense.  It's up to the cloud industry to instill the confidence needed to make this transition complete.  In a perfect world where we could completely trust these companies and trust our perfect, flawless Internet connections, I think people would happily allow someone else to perform their media content librarian duties.  In fact, the disorganized, non-technical people who comprise the bulk of humanity will probably sign up for things like this in a heartbeat.

Assuming this to be true, it's also pretty clear that the energy required to handle current forms of media distribution will eventually fade to obscurity.  Eventually, the cost justification for self-managing your media will cause the practice to become virtually extinct.  I agree with the sentiment in the book, "The Big Switch - from Edison to Google."  Cloud computing forces us to recognize a new choice we never had before.  Much like switching from locally generated power to plugging into the vastly cheaper power grid in the early 1900s, cloud computing causes us to rethink our justifications for doing everything ourselves.  It's way creepy for me.  It's also a mystifying and wonderful site to behold Smiley

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript