The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 06:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple allows 3rd party browsers on iPhone  (Read 4127 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »

You may have already hear this: http://cultofmac.com/let-the-games-begin-3rd-party-browsers-come-to-iphone/7031

... but what I think is really interesting is the possibility that the market ala FOSS has perhaps moved Apple in this direction. With a tightly constrained development channel Apple can certainly control the experience, but with the impending arrival of Android phones I think they are opening up so that they stay competitive.

Now a FOSS person might say that this is a demonstration of the evolutionary/erosive force of FOSS. Here's my assertion: Apple was going to do this all along, Android simply was the keystone. What if Apple has become brilliant at controlling everything (and, therefore, maximizing revenues) only until someone else catches up and they need to compete? This would put them in the Cynical category with a for-reals capital C, but in the Brilliant category for marketing/capitalism.

Dunno. Just thinkin'.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »

im not sure apple is quite "there" yet. The devil is in the details, and the detail is...

must be based on safari.
blech.

so no FF on iphone, at least yet.

I do think that android made apple perk up and pay attention, regardless of the rocky start.
and now the new palm OS/phone... I think apple may have just pooped a little bit in their pants.

they need to allow OS level apps, like changing how the home screen works for example. Apple does that, and they reset the bar.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:55:13 PM »

I think they're smart enough to reset as the competition starts getting closer. It might take a bit yet, but I think it'll come.

I for one am still waiting for them to allow REAL push apps and apps that don't stop running even if their not highlighted - so that AIM like things work (like the alarm) even when you're doing something else.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »

I for one am still waiting for them to allow REAL push apps and apps that don't stop running even if their not highlighted - so that AIM like things work (like the alarm) even when you're doing something else.

Werd.

Jailbroken version of Fring I used to have did this. Now I have the "legit" version from the apps store and it won't stay live. That sucks. Granted it's rare that I'd want it to stay live, as it cuts the battery life by orders of magnitude, but it's still nice to have the option.

hai
ekibastos
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:14:18 PM »

I have one of the latest palm os products it rivals the I phone can record video(iphone eat it haha) and has real or on screen keyboard I have vnc, python compiler/ide h.264 divx player vlc equivalent you name it including doubling as an aircard for evdo hi speed usb modem for almost three hours on a full charge.

however the browser java doesn't work with something like phpmyide it says can't instantiate new object I wonder if this is  due to palm os (current) not being threaded.. I wonder if this is same issue.. what did you mean by push apps, anyway?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:17:50 PM by ekibastos » Logged

<quote nutballs>
Apple is that hot chick that gives you lots of sex but is a total bitch with a horrible abusive temper.
</quote>
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »

I have one of the latest palm os products it rivals the I phone can record video(iphone eat it haha) and has real or on screen keyboard I have vnc, python compiler/ide h.264 divx player vlc equivalent you name it including doubling as an aircard for evdo hi speed usb modem for almost three hours on a full charge.
Yeah, but I'm cooler with my iPhone.  Devilish

however the browser java doesn't work with something like phpmyide it says can't instantiate new object I wonder if this is  due to palm os (current) not being threaded.. I wonder if this is same issue.. what did you mean by push apps, anyway?
If the phone kept listening all the time, then AIM-like clients could be listening for apps that are "pushing" it data - in other words, when someone IMs me, my AIM client on the phone would event-pop - instead, I have to have the AIM client running for me to get messages. VS is right - it'd decrease battery life by a wild sum, but be cool in any case. They are working on the problem, but it'll be a while yet probably.

ekibastos
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »

so, can you stream audio on that iphone?
 Devilish

can you record a video and ul it to u tube instantly?!?

ROFLMAO

<quote nutballs>
Apple is that hot chick that gives you lots of sex but is a total bitch with a horrible abusive temper.
</quote>
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:29 PM »

now, but only 12 year olds want to do that.  Tongue

ekibastos
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »

oh yeah well I'm made out of rubber and ur made out of ...wait or was it I was made in absensce of a rubber or .. er  .. o dear

I gotta stop posting while drinking as well... maybe tomorrow  ROFLMAO

<quote nutballs>
</quote>
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »

so, can you stream audio on that iphone?
Of course. Been available since the day they opened the app store.

can you record a video and ul it to u tube instantly?!?
Pictures, yes. But I do all my pr0n production with much more sophisticated stuff  Roll Eyes

LOL - you and I must be at the very least one, if not two generations apart  ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »

though I will grant that it is DUMB that the iphone doesnt do video. aside from the youtoob silliness. I just dont get why there is no video. its possible, since the hack crowd did it.

ekibastos
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:32 AM »

lol@pr0n production

#1 two things about that:
we don't look as good as we feel

because:

#2 All of the good stuff is completely hidden when your in that sitch... to let the cam see you have to have abnormal curvature and hold some wicked poses that don't feel good.

ROFLMAO

btw- does phpmyide work on the iphone?

<quote nutballs>
</quote>
mampy
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 07:29:30 AM »

Shocked

ROFLMAO

Well, I personally hate that literally everywhere you go now, every where. Every time you do anything someone with a razr flip phone
they get for free with the contract can hit the button on the side
and start recording or clicking snapshots instantly.

Oh the things we used to be able to get away with.

Undecided

I know that skype will go on a broken iphone, you could go that route and just get a couple of extra batteries and one of these:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11288_7-6427792-3.html

Unless you live in AZ then you could just get one of those.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:41:04 AM by mampy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript