The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Adobe wars heat up: But does Adobe have grounds...?  (Read 3949 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »

According to some blogger  Roll Eyes Adobe is going to sue Apple in the next couple weeks because of it's stance on Flash. I must admit that I've been a little skeptical of Apple's arguments that it did not make sense to bring the platform to the phone and now the pad, but this article explains it pretty well. For example, I had no idea that the only mobile Flash player that will play even most of what's on the web today is still under development (10.1) and requires a Cortex A8 class processor ... meaning that even if they wanted to port, only the 3GS would be able to run it (of the phones) and only other manufacturers phones sold in the last couple months will be able to run it. When it's available. Given that Apple's been selling the iPhone for over 3 years and Flash is not really even available today, and then only on the latest version of the phone, I have a hard time understanding how any suit would have merit.

With this article I am more inclined to believe the Processor/Ram hog notion of Flash (although it was already rather clear, this really outlined it) and am equally taken by Adobe's lack of support of Apple's platforms in the past. I had no idea about the Adobe rollout or ignoring of Apple platforms, so there's a certain component of Turnabout is Fair Play I suppose... but more importantly, the article lastly describes how Apple does not want their technology beholden to whenever Adobe gets around to supporting it ... in all that light, the snub makes a lot of sense.

The article's worth the read, because there's a lot of noise out there about this. It seems reasonable and reasonably unbiased.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/13/blogger_insists_adobe_will_sue_apple_over_cs4_iphone_app_tools.html

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:37:06 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »

Flash being a processor hog is just a smoke screen. It's probably true, but not the real reason why they don't want flash on the istuff.

The real reason is that the app store would go bye bye over night since deva could create apps, in flash, for the iPhone/iPad. 99% of the crap in the store could be done in flash. The only time you would need a native app would be for os dependent stuff, like push, contact integration etc etc. But most, especially games and lifestyle apps could be done in flash and apple would have no way to make a cut on it.

That being said, the flimsy argument of "we are protecting our users from shitty slow apps" is interesting one. In the end though, why can't apple dictate what goes onto a device? Or what is allowed? It's not a surprise when you buy. It. It is very clear that you can only install approved apps from the app store. On the other hand , if google for example was to say, "next update, only approved apps could be installed from our store" I would balk, because you as a buyer did not buy into that scheme to begin with.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »

Let's see if this turns into yet another business by force case like the one with Psystar - "If you don't want to do business with us, we are going to sue you and force you to make business with us.". What happened to free will? It's Apple decision not support Adobe and Adobe suing over that is just beyond lame. Of course I understand if Apple is completely lying and spreading false information about Adobe but I don't think so. Real reason is probably Appstore competition but that shouldn't matter. Should Google accept Bing's ads just because I don't like to do my ads with Adwords interface and I prefer Bing?

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/04/13/adobe-vs-apple-lawsuit-coming-sources-within-adobe-say-the-company-is-preparing-a-major-lawsuit-against-apple-over-flash-and-iphone-sdk-controversies/

Not legitimate grounds imo.  But they have God's support and righteous grounds to win this, in light of our current slime-fest known as intellectual property protection laws.  I hope Apple suffers until their own fanbois finally realize things are terribly amiss and support an overhaul to our stupidly corrupt patent and IP laws we robotically assert are fine and dandy 

Now in true defense of Adobe, well, does anyone remember when Illustrator was Apple's silver bullet that differentiated them from MS?  What about Photoshop?  Adobe was Apple's right-hand man in terms of software support in the days when everyone including perks thought Apple was reduced to novelty forever (before Microsoft propped them back up with a blood sucking MS Office contract and breathed life back into them).  Some way to treat your friend in times of need  Undecided

I know someone else who was treated by Apple the same way who was once a passionate fan of theirs.  ITTO.  Same thing happened with Microsoft.  Any wonder why ITTO now has true allegiance for only that which is freedom-based, open sourced or demonstrably protected from the claws of these heart breakers?  Fuk them and their tasty, soul eating empty dreams.  Nothing but tech-snake charmers.  I just wear earplugs these days Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »

I just think you should know, ITTO, that there are lots of brands on the market with just as much taste and only half the caffeine.

Just sayin'.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »

ROFLMAO

Just finished a seemingly endless tax prep weekend and two days of 6am wake up and kick-ass till 9pm work days.  I'm a moron for even posting, but decaff to the lions!  The dark roast around here is sick-ass sensational 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:42 AM »

I'd RFd if it weren't for Free Trade Nicaraguan Extra Bold as well.

But the day's work is done, so it's some Jack, Ambien, 4 Advil and a couple 5mg Melatonin to knock the edge off before I slip off to sleep. Kids leave the crosstops by the bedside to get me bounced back in the morning.

Have a good one! 

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:20:07 AM »

Tax prep? Pffft. Why do today what you could put off till tomorrow? Or October!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:35:51 AM »

Kids leave the crosstops by the bedside to get me bounced back in the morning.

Have a good one! 

Are u swimming the d-amp salton sea now?

btw- rose hip tea works better than melatonin...

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »

>Why do today what you could put off till tomorrow?

Let's just say there's a hard cutoff for certain things when delinquency has been maximized already Smiley  But what was looking like some debt I managed to turn into a small return while finally finishing the hunt for every last piece of helper data I had.  Damn it feels good to be a gangsta organized in this area again!

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/iphone_agreement_bans_flash_compiler
3.3.1 — Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).

The real issue and the real points of the new TOS, it has fuck all to do with flash.
9 million posts on reddit about it, developers are pissed as hell.
Jobs has gone off the deep end.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 05:11:10 AM »

Flash being a processor hog is just a smoke screen. It's probably true, but not the real reason why they don't want flash on the istuff.

Here might be another excellent reason you dont want flash..

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/198079/attackers_exploiting_new_flash_bug_adobe_warns.html

millions of ipad owners, safe.

The bug affects Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.45.2 and earlier on all operating systems, including Windows, Macintosh and Linux. It is also found in the latest versions of the widely used Reader and Acrobat software, Adobe said. "There are reports that this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild against both Adobe Flash Player, and Adobe Reader and Acrobat," Adobe said in its security advisory.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript