The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Another downside to iPhone jailbreaking...  (Read 6395 times)
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/15/ibooks-1-2-1-detects-some-jailbreaks-disables-ibookstore-purchases-in-response/
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:27:04 PM »

That's only a downside if you actually buy books from Apple's bookstore Roll Eyes iBooks supports epub so you can buy your books anywhere if you buy them at all. IMO it's a bit weird logic to prevent jailbreakers from buying. I get it that Apple wants to detect jailbreak for security issues and overall usage statistics but saying no to money makes no sense.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:11:05 AM »

That's only a downside if you actually buy books from Apple's bookstore Roll Eyes iBooks supports epub so you can buy your books anywhere if you buy them at all. IMO it's a bit weird logic to prevent jailbreakers from buying. I get it that Apple wants to detect jailbreak for security issues and overall usage statistics but saying no to money makes no sense.

Huh?

Idea...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »

(this is actually a join and slight hijack, since I am responding to Apples hardline re. their 30% margin push for June as well as this jailbreak test)

http://www.9to5mac.com/52179/apple-to-world-put-up-or-shut-up

I buy books from Amazon, the apple bookstore and others. This is the first time in a long time that the hair really came up on the back of my neck.

I completely get Apples desire and right to make a profit. And I completely get that they will ratfuck every good thing they've done, and even alienate diehards like me if they pursue this direction to the extent that I must purchase everything through Apple ... And if it's not available at Apple I can't get it on my pad. Honestly, Apple's been doing well because (the macro I) can get anything I want on my pad. If that shifts to a subset of Apple's design it will be very, very bad for them.

Although I can see the "they're my marbles" component of the argument, I just have a really hard time believing that Apple would really be so blind as to throw their mass appeal out the window. This could push them back into the proprietary zone so hard they may never get back out. That would be deeply unfortunate.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:14:06 AM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »

The question that likely will be asked: Would you be OK if Microsoft made a mandatory 30% on every purchase made through Windows applications?  Shocked Angry Don't make me...

Somehow I think the world would scream monopoly and nobody would even question this assertion. 
I mean heck, there are so many other operating system choices out there and always have been, so why should there have ever been any concern about this??  Roll Eyes

Try this concept on for size: who currently and completely dominates the tablet market??  Think about it.  Android is just starting to put a dent in Apple's previous 96% commanding market share lead.  Just because you like a company doesn't mean you should give them a free pass for bad behavior  Police 

Apple better watch their step, lest they lose their waxy shine and their fanbees along with it 

(... yet Apple in no way behaves monopolistically  ROFLMAO)

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »

and if the device has been found to be jailbroken, refuses to open content purchased from Apple's iBookstore.

Vomit  Only the deepest of  Ass Kisser  logic can excuse this crap, imo.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »

Somehow I think the world would scream monopoly and nobody would even question this assertion.
They'd not question it, because that's both hyperbolic and incorrect.

If I thought that SRP power were to be super cool, and I only want that, even though there's APS and other providers here in the valley, then SRP said that I have to pay (x) and too bad so sad if I don't like it, then according to your logic they are acting monopolistically.

Apple has no ability to have a monopoly here. There are already loads of alternatives to their tablet offering, loads of alternatives to the content they provide access to. You really need to rethink your notion of monopoly. Apple cannot deny me access to anything from anywhere at anytime on any other device. If I require THEIR COOLNESS then I will pay for THEIR POLICIES. No, what they are doing is behaving stupidly which is strikingly unlike them, at least of late.

Apple better watch their step, lest they lose their waxy shine and their fanbees along with it 
Absolutely correct. Rather than invective, let's debate just how really absurd this position is and if Apple has actually institutionalized the WORST parts of Steveo rather than the best. Is their greed literally out of control? Is this a money grab before they need to acquiesce and go with a 10% line like Google announced today? Do they HONESTLY think that they can just wag the entire world?

I dunno, the politics and chess-game dynamics of all this are way beyond me. But if this is f'reals, it could be a real problem.

That said, I just read another article that claimed that the content revenue model world will evolve and people will get with the Apple program just as The Daily did. They built in the channel 30% that Apple provides and requires, and they seem quite happy. Might this, on the other hand, completely toss the distribution salad and create better or more interesting deals for Apple, Amazon, B&N, the movie studios, artists etc etc?

In any case, this is some wicked hardball and a dicey line for Apple to walk.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »

Vomit  Only the deepest of  Ass Kisser  logic can excuse this crap, imo.

Circling back to the topic head, I've read several accounts now that Apple may be in violation of it's distribution contracts by allowing DRM protected material run on jailbroken devices. This would be an interesting way for them to stay within their contracts but avoid fighting jailbreaking at the most basic level. In fact, it would make some things quite clear if this were the case.

Not forgiving them, because I find it horrible. But if they're in between a rock and a hard place, then I don't know what else they could do.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:10 PM »

Do they HONESTLY think that they can just wag the entire world?

No, I believe they know without a doubt that they cannot. Yet I believe they realize that all they need to do is wag ENOUGH of the entire world at the largest margins possible and they've won the game. And I don't like waiting until things get so terribly messed up before speaking my mind about things  Police 
Apple's been behaving like this for a long, long time and it's way beyond when all of us in technology, imo, should have been damn mad about it. They produce great shit and then use it to enslave, not empower. And that's the point for me.
I realize for shareholders the Apple    is part of promoting or securing their own investment choices. But this is hardly enough of an argument to justify the blind following Apple has created for itself. I just side with the world staying awake, that's all. Even when I'm wrong, I'll choose to err on the side of the people - not the business of choice. I'll speak out against Salesforce when and where they begin abusing the people they claim to support.

Apple will price, gouge and enslave until their best customers begin to wake and grumble. Then they will back up just a hair and sit there for as long as possible, making maximum profits  Idea...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »

I agree with all of that. I simply don't agree that because so many people WANT an iPad, that they have a monopoly. And I don't hold any grudge, at all, with them endeavoring to maximizing their profitability, that is the essence of a corporation. If people want what they've produced, then the price can go as high as they want to take it. If people pay, more power to them.

That said, if they stupidly think that they really can control the entire world of content, then I agree with you: they will lose most all of the progress the've made in the last decade.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:51 AM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
Once you've done something that major, its very hard to admit evento yourself that you've made a mistake, and subconsciously you willgo to great lengths to rationalize what you did. Its very tricky defense mechanism exploited to the hilt by the charismatic leader.

A more personal account of the impact of this process is provided by Jeanne Mills. At one meeting, she and her husband were forced toconsent to the beating of their daughter as punishment for a very minor transgression. She relates the effect this had on her daughter,the victim, as well as on herself, one of the perpetrators:

As we drove home, everyone in the car was silent. We were all afraid that our words would be considered treasonous. The only sounds came from Linda, sobbing quietly in the back seat. When we got into our house, Al and I sat down to talk with Linda. She was in too much pain to sit. She stood quietly while we talked with her. "How do you feel about what happened tonight?" Al asked her.

"Father was right to have me whipped" Linda answered. "I've been so rebellious lately, and I've done a lot of things that were wrong... I'm sure Father knew about those things, and that's why he had me hit so many times.
 ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
But father Jobs is right to screw me over with my iphone.
Why it is not as if Father Jobs makes enough money ......
Thank you Father Jobs for fuking me over with my iphone
Can I have some ikoolaid Father Jobs

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »

Something very definitely wrong with you, Nop. Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:45:21 AM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Please sir, can I have another!   

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »

Something wrong with me ?  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
This would be an interesting way for them to stay within their contracts but avoid fighting jailbreaking at the most basic level.
Not forgiving them, because I find it horrible. But if they're in between a rock and a hard place, then I don't know what else they could do.
I am not the one giving personal attributes to a cooperation.
Rock and a Hard place :O I thought they made record profits last year :O
It is not like a homeless person shoplifting food so he has enough to eat.

Please sir, can I have another!  
I know, we have been very bad apple users, thinking and doubting the great wisdom of apple.
Ohhh thank you apple for spanking me, I deserve it for thinking such bad things.
I don't know what father apple could have done, how else was he supposed to drive out the bad thoughts from me.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »

ROFLMAO

One thing is sure, all of this hurts father Apple far more than any of us  Cry
Christ, what about his needs?  Devilish
He only hits us because he loves us so much!   Don't make me...
Now go polish his hitting stick, hand it back to him and wait for his next command    Ass Kisser  Angel

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript