The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android phone sales blow by Apple iPhone in U.S.  (Read 2216 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/051010-android-q1-sales.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2010-05-10

I think everyone expected this to happen, at least in my neck of the woods.  But honestly this happened far faster than I expected.

Apple's iPhone might still be grabbing the lion's share of headlines, but phones powered by Google's Android operating system actually outsold iPhones in the United States in Q1, according to market watcher NPD's latest numbers.
"As in the past, carrier distribution and promotion have played a crucial role in determining smartphone market share," said Ross Rubin, executive director of industry analysis for NPD, in a statement.  "In order to compete with the iPhone, Verizon Wireless has expanded its buy-one-get-one offer beyond RIM devices to now include all of their smartphones."
AT&T had 32% market share in Q1, followed by Verizon (30%), T-Mobile (17%) and Sprint (15%).

I hear the AT&T/Apple swan song getting louder everyday.  I expect Apple to surge heavily when they free up their choice of carriers.  Can you imagine the smile on Verizon's face when they get to sell Apple products?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »

its unfair comparison though. its on dozens of phones from dozens of mfgs.
the iPhone is 1 mfg, 1 phone and was in second place... that speaks volumes in my book.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:25:41 PM »

>dozens of phones from dozens of mfgs

Yeah, call me when it's one-on-one action.

Point, Counterpoint:

"Sprint, the no. 3 U.S. wireless carrier, says it no longer plans to service the Nexus One, and will focus its efforts on another Google phone instead. This follows Verizon Wireless, the no. 1 U.S. carrier, snubbing the Nexus One a few weeks ago."

http://www.businessinsider.com/its-time-for-google-to-kill-the-failed-nexus-one-2010-5
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:33:25 PM »

Handset to handset could be a long time before there's an equal challenger.  But the iPhone OS is what has just been surpassed.  In any case it's probably going to be the same story with Android pads eventually outnumbering the one and only iPad.  That's my guess anyway.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »

Unlike *ahem* others here, I'm far from being a fanboi, but I think the lead held by the Apps Store will be hard to overcome. The OS is now almost secondary.  In a way, it's the inverse of the desktop world where I stay with Win because of the selection and diversity of cheap apps.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:59:18 PM »

True.  I remember one Sunday not to long ago - deep in the Silicon Valley open source world - everything became a ghost town as all mammals raced off to buy iPads.  People were tripping over each other just to be the first to try out their new programs they were writing for it. 

But in terms of applications I think WinMobile is still in the lead, but I'm not sure on that one.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:05:17 AM »

@winmobile - not even close. Over 200k apps now, nobody's even within striking distance.

@even comparison: Android the OS vs iPhone is meaningless. As RC says, when it's head to head it'll be interesting. I don't know about pads yet ... There are so many different efforts it'll be intesting to see if theres a rally around Android, or the pad players want more instant functionality so they go full WinMobile++ or Palm and HP get in the game with their sleeping giant, it's a crap shoot. But the most important thing at the moment is that Apples got first mover advantage, and unless other players come out the gate quickly with something compelling, they're going to be left in the dust.   

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:11 AM »

LMFAO @ 200k and pocket pc not even in striking distance Smiley
I have not used pocketpc for ages, but they had big games for it like age of empires etc.
all of the sims etc. This was 5 years back.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:26:58 AM »

>but they had big games for it like age of empires etc. all of the sims etc. This was 5 years back

Notice I said the Apps Store and not just the apps.  As much as I hate walled gardens, I'd have to admit that it's their locked-down, centralized, and (perhaps most importantly) homogenized sales system that gives Apple the real advantage.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript