The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Airlock: interesting, if yet conceptual app  (Read 4366 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:02:48 PM »

This new app for the iPhone: http://themha.com/airlock/?s=a

does a pretty neat trick. It locks or unlocks your Mac, based on the proximity of your iPhone. I love it the idea. Have your phone with you? Use the computer. Of course, Mission Impossible scenarios as well as Matt Damon in The Italian Job can make quick work of this security scheme, but it's novel and cool. Rumor sites say that it has problems with some Macs and is not working correctly yet, so they have some work to do, but it's a strong idea.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37:18 PM »

Interesting.
What does it use to determine how close you are to puter ?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »

i had a little keyfob thingy that unlocked my PC by proximity at my old job. Was great. pissed off the owner because I would never forget to lock my puter, since he always wanted to snoop.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:06:38 PM »

What does it use to determine how close you are to puter ?

Bluetooth.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »

Hrmmm.  Nice as a novelty but just imagine the security issues if ubiquitous?  Girlfriend has iPhone that also unlocks home network (not to pick on girls, but just an example).  She leaves said iPhone at restaurant or has it lifted from the bar she left it on when she went to powder her nose. 

It's a little more like Mission Possible IMO.  Then try corporate adoption.  It's a nice idea that increases the value of always being chained to a device, in this case it's the iPhone.  But just a few security problems will tank the whole initiative IMO.  Of course, as a novelty of "logging in" convenience it would work fine.  Honestly having no password on your PC is even more streamlined.  But as anything attempting to call itself a step towards information security I believe it's dead in the water.

Even garage door openers require a button push  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:55:42 AM »

@isthisthingon
Locks are to keep honest people honest.
It is going to stop the snoopy gossip who wants to look in ur puter while u step out.

All encryption can be broken by this technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber-hose_cryptanalysis
Probably it would be better to use the rubber hose on the person's loved ones etc.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:41 AM »

I don't think a rubber hose will be required to pry a loosely maintained iPhone from a drunken club patron.  It's more efficient to leverage the stand-in bathroom assistant with a towel and a tip jar posing as an employee.  Think Maxwell Smart and you've "cracked the code."

But if brute force was needed, I think a wet noodle would suffice.  It's not like we're prying a secret password from an FBI agent on this one.  We're just trying to snatch the iPhone from the caregiver's general vicinity.  A false magician asking about the card they will pull from their deck after your shuffle is way more than enough to make this a "Mission Possible."   ROFLMAO

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:01:51 AM »

can i just take the guy's iphone and beat him with a rubber hose anyway ?
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »

Isnt being in apples hard/soft ware jails torture enough?

Devilish

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »

@ ITTO - I don't think it's meant to be a ubiquitous solution to security meng ... I think it's actually rather clever because, to Nop's point, it's a really easy way to stop the casual interloper from your machine and you won't forget to do it when you leave. And since it requires nothing except the software to do it, and people carry their phones around with them all the time anyway, it's a nice add.

I'll bet when the exact same app comes out for Droid it'll be brilliant.  Roll Eyes

Isnt being in apples hard/soft ware jails torture enough?
Lordy.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »

>can i just take the guy's iphone and beat him with a rubber hose anyway ?

iHose him into iSubmission nop!

>Isnt being in apples hard/soft ware jails torture enough?

Apparently not.  They paint the walls so well you think you're free.

>I'll bet when the exact same app comes out for Droid it'll be brilliant.

Is it coming out for the Verizon Droid??  That's FANTASTIC!! Wink  Seriously I'm not trying to be too harsh on it.  As you know I've spent quite some time in the RFID / GPS / Verichip world where many of these forms of security were explored.  It's something I personally would find perhaps cool and fun as a novelty but in general I'd rather rely on my fingers and brain than keeping some phone on my body.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »

Yea and if you dont like the wall paintings you can BUY new ones from the iPhone store!!

hahaha

..than keeping some phone on my body.

well the service is so bad with the iPhone, youll also have to
worry about keeping somebody on your phone..

"Lordy."

ha! I kill me...  Devilish  sorry just couldnt leave those iPhone joke slams
unattended. hahaha

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »

Christ, you boys are spoiling for a fight, huh?

If you spent a fraction of your time figuring out why they are so hot and desired that you do attacking them you'd be totally over it.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:45:20 PM »

hahah lol... im just funnin... jealous actually
of iphoners cause i cant afford one.... i really do
love them the best... especially for the durability of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXlriABfOo

did they actually run over it with a motorcyle, and wash it
like it was a dish and still get a call?

Ive replaced my palm treo screen once already and now
the keyboard doesnt work because it got a little damp in
just a rainstorm..

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »

Bustin' at you as well old friend. Smiley

Actually, one of my partners that lived in NN with y'all many years ago (sat in the pit...), did something just like that - he washed his pants with the iPhone in one of the pockets (full soak cycle, the whole deal!), then stuck the pants in the dryer. The phone is still in perfect operation today. Friggin' tough little things. Don't know about a dishwasher - that's pretty intense. My middle son's iPhone managed to hit the concrete DAMN hard when it popped out of his pocket while he was working on a roof and fell from the second story - big crack right across the whole face with some spidering as well. Damn thing works perfectly. He doesn't feel the crack under his fingers and other than being ugly as sin it seems totally happy.

On the other hand, I plugged my very first one into a some sketchy power adapter (it was designed for the original iPod, but hell - the connector looked the same...) the screen flashed pink, then multicolor stripes that were really angry and then went dead. No more worky. However, it was not even questioned at the Apple store - no physical damage outside (that was all they looked for) so it was electronic ... and covered under their warranty. Instant swap.

It's a great little tool, but clearly not inexpensive.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:00:19 PM by perkiset » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript