The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:14:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A USB port is irrelevant and meaningless...  (Read 11688 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:31:48 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/211713/report_says_apple_ipad_2_to_have_2_cameras_usb_port.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

...until we decide to build it into the iPad.  Then it's important to have Roll Eyes

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »

It won't have a USB. The people are high. Maybe a micro USB at most, but even so, no way.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »

I think if Apple designed a perfectly smooth and concealed USB-based port (yes, probably micro or even some mini-proprietary) then they would totally go for it.  Something where you slide something like a power switch that magically exposes the port (perhaps like a flip video camera, Apple style) would definitely be conceivable, imho Smiley

And once they find a way to deliver this feature while maintaining their hardware UX image to their standards, then I predict it will be an "of course" feature, followed by the rhetoric of "who ever said anything about the irrelevance of a USB port"  Huh?

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:56:22 AM »

It would have to be like the iphone/ipad interface cable.
Purposely made so you have to buy a special high priced apple one

So for the usb port, you would need a special apple adaptor
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 02:45:47 AM »

I have completely stopped following the rumor mill. I really don't care anything else than what I can get today. I wish people would understand that the longer they hold on to dead technologies like wires, the longer they are going to have to suffer when market doesn't seem to answer their outcry. There will always be companies like Google or Acer who's only goal is to try appeal to the largest possible audience with largest possible feature set they can put in the device. This is just simply because lack of vision and confusing innovation with incremental improvement. The reason why Apple does what Apple does is the vision of Steve Jobs. Personally I feel that Jobs overall vision is outdated and won't be serving Apple's current business model very long anymore. My feeling is based on how Apple behaves today, I have no idea Steve's secret plans for the future. However where Steve Jobs shines over any other product visionary in the world right now is spotting technologies that are the major players in the future and building on them. Just remember when Apple launches first Air without DVD-drive.. people were crying their eyes out and Apple responded with external DVD-drive. Come on, nobody uses DVDs or CDs anymore... you will only use them when there's no better alternative. How many here prefers to burn CDRs instead of using USB stick? How many here prefer sending USB stick via mail over sending files wirelessly over long-distance... yeah, you get my point. Physical storage devices still have their place and USB sticks & co. will be the only viable solution for large files a long time in places like Africa and other countries where networking infrastructure is still in it's infancy. That however doesn't mean that they wouldn't instantly move to wireless transfer if network infrastructure would be improved... I would hire Steve Jobs to invent products but he represents previous and leaving generation in business strategy. I feel sorry for companies who seems to be modeling their business model after Apple's... they will be in the world of hurt soon.

My point is that instead of throwing cheap sarcastic lines to the products and design decisions that don't necessary even exist, start creating something - the future is only battle of wills, in the other words, the future looks like the one who wants it the most. In our incredibly one dimension minds, future is the place where everything is perfect - however you are a fool if you don't realize that today is when the stuff happens what determines what the future holds.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »

@kurdt - My point is more to the blind followers of Apple and the Apple rhetoric they parrot.  Same medicine for those who basically claimed Apple was "above" building anything like a netbook.  I just want to help reduce the same silliness from being extolled in the future.

And in terms of the future I'd agree with your sentiment, and so would floppy drives Wink  (nice tag line about 2010 btw)

It would have to be like the iphone/ipad interface cable.
Purposely made so you have to buy a special high priced apple one
So for the usb port, you would need a special apple adaptor

Follow the money, find the Apple  ROFLMAO  The proprietary-tipped USB cable for my new iPod nano is bigger than the device itself when rolled up.  And of course if you need a replacement cable your wallet will remind you that it's not a standard USB cable.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »

@kurdt - My point is more to the blind followers of Apple and the Apple rhetoric they parrot.  Same medicine for those who basically claimed Apple was "above" building anything like a netbook.  I just want to help reduce the same silliness from being extolled in the future.
Take apple / steve jobs and take the Bonewits cult danger test.
http://www.neopagan.net/ABCDEF.html
Apple probably scores as high as the Moonies.
Cute part about cults is "education" or "intelligence" does not matter when it comes to membership

I will go somewhat with Kurdt about wires. I was looking up new specs about bluetooth.
The low energy one looks interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy
But the new USB 3 is blindingly fast.
Also with USB you can transfer "power" so that eliminates need for chargers etc.
Problem is we are in a transition, just like a few years back when you needed serial ports or printer ports for legacy devices.

Only reason why I think apple initially hated the USB is to save manufacturing costs.
You save $1-2 per unit, that is huge profits. But you only need 1 USB, since you can get USB router etc.

But then when the cult leader saw the some of the followers want a USB port like all great cult leaders he had a "vision".
USB ports are great etc.
Kinda like mormons with black people. Initially blacks where inferior people, could not be members.
When too much social pressure / potential law suits, mormon church leader had a "vision".

Then all of a sudden all the cult members chirp about how brilliant the leader is.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 03:57:02 AM »

Yeah I know what you mean. However funny thing is that for some reason Apple fans are actually the ones who make it a cult-like phenomenon. I mean I might be wrong here but I don't think I have seen Jobs or anybody else from Apple saying USB is somehow bad or unwanted - they just simply didn't add it iPad and people started making up reasons why that is. Then journalists write stories and don't make it clear that these are not Apple's opinions. To me Apple is just a company that makes tech products. I happen to like most of their products and for some reason some people don't seem to be able to make the distinction between just liking the products and being "a fanboy". Lately I have seen some great stuff from other companies as well and I don't think Apple will be able to keep up their aesthetic leadership very much longer. However if it was up to me, Jonathan Ive would design every tech product there is Wink

I will go somewhat with Kurdt about wires. I was looking up new specs about bluetooth.
The low energy one looks interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy
But the new USB 3 is blindingly fast.
Also with USB you can transfer "power" so that eliminates need for chargers etc.
Actually wireless power will effectively counter USB's power transfer upside. I agree that I really like it that almost all of my USB devices don't require separate power. However when the new magnetic power "sheets" will gain mainstream popularity, they will slowly but surely find their ways into buildings. Before that people will buy tables and other surfaces that will have the wireless power capabilities. When you go to mobile devices, USB is completely irrelevant if you have wifi. Mobile devices are already build to survive without wires (except Apple devices of course) so adding USB support will be only step backward. This is the reason why I have never understood why people want mini-USBs into phones. Instead improve wireless transfer capabilities and take a step forward. The problem with wifi is that it doesn't work ad-hoc without extra trickery compared to bluetooth which was created for this type of device-to-device connections. However the problem with bluetooth is that it doesn't work reliably unless you are in close distance and preferably devices "see" each other. That makes it only incremental improvement over using wires. Wifi is the key but there's a lot of work to do to make it smooth between different vendors.

Only reason why I think apple initially hated the USB is to save manufacturing costs.
You save $1-2 per unit, that is huge profits. But you only need 1 USB, since you can get USB router etc.
My gut feeling is that the software engineering cost for supporting all the devices you can connect with USB that are kinda required to work by the market is a far larger cost than manufacturing cost per unit.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »

I happen to like most of their products and for some reason some people don't seem to be able to make the distinction between just liking the products and being "a fanboy".

Interesting similarity.  I can honestly restate again and again that I truly believe Apple makes absolutely top-notch products with first rate hardware and software user experience and quality throughout most of their product line, yet since I have issues with their licensing and exclusionary walled garden, perhaps even tech elitist approach to business, I'm labeled an "Apple hater" with completely marginalized opinions as a result Smiley

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »

@itto and kurdt
Typical cult behaviour
I have bought more apple products then the average fanboi.
But like all cults, you make one statement that questions their decisions, could slightly be negative etc.
Then you are slammed as a hater.

Where have I seen that behaviour before.
Radical xtains, islamics etc.

I have come to the conclusion people want to join a cult and be brainwashed.
Cult membership has nothing to do with education Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »

Wow, holy sh!t. I had no idea that by purchasing Apple gear I was part of a cult.

Anyhoo: There is already a USB adapter for the iPad, it's part of the camera connection kit. This is a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. The much more important question would be what can a USB port DO for the iPad? Currently, it can only import videos and connect a keyboard. No drive access, which is the big stiffie for people. In the grand scheme of things I totally get it (they want to drive people towards a wireless connected mindset, not connected and burdened by accessories) and HOPEFULLY towards the forthcoming Apple cloud. I would love for it to be a wide-open connection, because that would increase the capability of the pad significantly - but would also open the machine to things that Apple does not want to put forward.

ITTO you do exhibit a more rabid dislike of Apple in general than simply their licensing agenda. What I get is that you'd probably enjoy purchasing Apple products if they were all open to your specification, rather than locked into their walled garden. I s'pose that's cool, but ain't gonna happen  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

Ok I have to wonder, are you just yanking our chain Huh?
In the grand scheme of things I totally get it
The problem is that mere mortals like me and itto do not have the hidden knowledge that you have.  ROFLMAO

How did you get this "hidden knowledge" Huh?
Does steve jobs only appear to his chosen ones Huh?

From the evidence it would appear apple wants to drive people to using their shitty overpriced interfaces.
On the iphone the bluetooth has been crippled.

Maybe if I set up the apple shrine in my bathroom and pray to it for 30 days I might understand the true scheme of things.
Every day just say "dear apple, with you choosen leader Steve Jobs, please give me the enlightenment why you cripple things".
Just keep and open mind and try for 30 days.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »

Does steve jobs only appear to his chosen ones Huh?

yes, but you can buy that privilege.

http://4sp.in/5mZ

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »

yes, but you can buy that privilege.
Applause Applause ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Waiting for them to start making Steve Job icons in the philippines.
The best one was a "baby jesus" on a crucifix. To make it more comical the baby jesus had this big beaming smile on his face.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »

Silly goose. The trajectory and intent seems reasonably obvious. And given the behavior and inclusion/exclusion of various features, ports and accessories in the past we can glean a somewhat well rounded notion of where Steveo wants to go.

That and a case of very rare Irish Whiskey to the correct channel manager and I'm in tight. Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript