The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:26:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A freedom-minded response to Thoughts on Flash  (Read 2922 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

Pot, meet kettle: a response to Steve Jobs' letter on Flash.

And a letter to Jobs that Steve replied to.

Tidbits from each:

Watching two proprietary software companies deeply opposed to computer user freedom lob accusations back and forth about who is more opposed to freedom has been surreal, to say the least. But what's been crystal clear is that the freedom these companies are arguing about is their own, not that of their users.

If he had said anything about why user freedom on the Web is important, his hypocrisy would have been explicit. In a nutshell, he says, "Don't use Adobe's proprietary platform to engage with information on the Web. Use Apple's." He doesn't want users to freely wander and creatively explore the Web or their own computers; he wants them to move from the fenced-off "Freedom Zone" based in San Jose to the one based in Cupertino.

ROFLMAO  Well put.

So, the correct decision in the dispute between Apple and Adobe is "none of the above." The past we need to leave behind is not just Flash, it's Apple's proprietary software as well. There is plenty of room for them to join us along with everyone else in the free world—but they must stop pretending that their little cages are the free world.

Applause

May I remind you that H.264 is not an open standard?   

The Duke of Douche:

All video codecs are covered by patents. A patent pool is being assembled to go after Theora and other “open source” codecs now. Unfortunately, just because something is open source, it doesn’t mean or guarantee that it doesn’t infringe on others patents. An open standard is different from being royalty free or open source.

Sent from my iPad

Steve "part of the problem" Jobs

Any thoughts on this one, kurdt Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »

What blows my mind is how cult leader Steve Jobs can blatently lie, and yet the Sheepapple will still eat his shit up with both hands. My biggest failure in life was over estimating peoples intelligence.

For starters the flash VM is a open specification (granted the docs are very poor from adobe are very poor).
So if you feel like it you can make your own flash VM.
You can also create your own compilers etc that target the VM specification.

I like reading Steve Job's ishit, I also enjoy reading ifanatics defense of Jobs. Almost as good as going to a good ole fire and brim stone evangelical preacher. All that is missing is the sexy women in virginal white ropes, and good music.

But then again lets not confuse the flash/apple issue with things like facts.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »

My biggest failure in life was over estimating peoples intelligence.

ROFLMAO  Must be nice having such a clean failure record in life Wink 

Intelligence may have shockingly little to do with it.  Fear, learned behavior, allegiance, comfort zones and gigantic egos can all short-circuit the brightest of intellects.  For example: "I am a deeply religious man." - Albert Einstein (see quoting criminally out of context)

Perhaps the real "failure" was underestimating the extent people will go to protect that which their egos have married 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »

Perhaps the real "failure" was underestimating the extent people will go to protect that which their egos have married 
ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

For the record I have failed many times in life.
But money wise I failed to capitalize on that Smiley
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »

ROFLMAO http://www.esarcasm.com/13913/steve-jobs-apple-adobe-letter/ ROFLMAO

For the record I have failed many times in life.

The record was already clear on that Wink  Yet I'll bet I've got you beat on the failure front  ROFLMAO  Think about it nop.  I used to evangelize about the great features and tech wonderfulness of Microsoft products.  With the exception of their ability to induce vomiting, I was wrong  Embarrassed

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:44:07 AM »

Any thoughts on this one, kurdt Wink
I agree everything said there. I'm only defending Apple's and Jobs' right to do whatever they want with their own products.

I support Steve's "use html5, css and js" opinion but I disagree with h.264. The problem isn't decoding but encoding. If I have understood h.264 issue correctly, there's open-source decoders available but to encode you'll need the license? That's an issue. BUT, Steve's is right also that h.264 is widely used already and that restricts your options a bit. Also if browsers don't support OGG, there's another problem. When it comes to web video right now, it's a mess and you'll have to choose between bad choices. Either you sacrifice hardware acceleration and disable people from watching your videos with other devices than the few that can decode OGG or you use potentially fee inducing h.264 that's widely supported in video decoding chips. Bad choices both. Right now I'm with h.264 based on popularity and decoder chip compatibility.

But as you know now, I have my own solution that will make a dent in Steve's proprietary plans. Also it really doesn't matter what Steve or any other old generation powerhouse leader says... if your device can run javascript, I own you and there's very little you can do about it.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:47:25 AM »

I agree everything said there. I'm only defending Apple's and Jobs' right to do whatever they want with their own products.
I agree 100%, and what apple is doing is nothing new countless huge companies have tried this before, and it has been their downfall.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 03:49:16 AM »

I agree 100%, and what apple is doing is nothing new countless huge companies have tried this before, and it has been their downfall.
Yeah, I agree. Trying to force free space to a closed one is always high risk operation. Just to clarify, I'm only defending the right and not the act itself.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »

But as you know now, I have my own solution that will make a dent in Steve's proprietary plans.

Apple is watching.  Crap, black helicopters again??  ROFLMAO  And when they came for my iPad there was no other product alternative to purchase.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript