The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4S First Thoughts  (Read 2290 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

I got calls and made calls without dropping.

I GOT CALLS AND MADE CALLS WITHOUT DROPPING.
Smiley

The new antenna layout seems to be what it was billed as .
The camera looks great. The quality of photos is superb and with the "touch to focus" part of iOS5 it's pretty sweet.
Haven't had much chance to play with Siri yet, however as soon as I get the phone alive in the Apple store I asked her, "Siri, where am I?" Pinpointed my location on a map perfectly.

Downside: Some part of iCloud backup or iOS5 or whatever made it so that my backups won't go to the new phone. Had to start from scratch. This is not entirely horrible, since I'd be copying boatloads of songs etc anyway - but redoing my app folders is a bit of a drag.

iOS5 shutter button (volume up) is the bomb.

More as I work through it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

Popcorn

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »

It is with great sadness that I report that Siri, my constant companion for the past two years on my iPhone 4, expired this morning at 12:01 am.  It is rumored that she left for greener (and younger) pastures.  All I know is that she is no longer there to serve and assist me, reporting a server error when I try to speak with her.

She provided faithful service to the end, and she will be deeply missed.  And it sucks that Apple feels they have to disable the Siri app on older phones as a way of promoting iPhone 4S.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »

Oh man ... you mean there was a Siri app (sorry for my ignorance) that just died on older models? That SUX.

Best go getcha a younger model then mate Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »

Yeah, there was a Siri app (it was good enough that Apple bought the developer 18 months ago, and obviously it got built into iOS 5 (on the 4S) and became the new-and-improved Siri.)  As of 10/15/11, they cut off the old app so it wouldn't work any more.

It wasn't nearly as capable as the "new" Siri, but it was pretty damned good, and the voice recognition was stellar.  Maybe it would have been too confusing to keep it around, but I'm still disappointed.

But I can't really justify upgrading from the 4 to the 4S, especially since I'm not eligible for a subsidized phone until January.  And at that point, with a likelihood that iPhone 5 will hit the street in the June timeframe, it will probably make more sense to wait for that.  I'll just be Siri-less in the meanwhile.  Sad

I do find it a little sad that they restrict Siri to the 4S since there's no technical reason they have to do so.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »

Interesting - Ive 9 months on contact still, yet got 50% subsidy on PinkHat's phone and 100% on mine. Blew me away. AT&T seems to be incentivized to keep me. You might want to check it out.

I don't see it making sense for Apple to release a 5 in 9 months ... I think it'll be another year now. The push will now be the 3rd pad.

Siri is superb, but the camera, better antenna layout and storage we the compelling factors for me. Siri was a cool +1.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »

Yeah, it may be next fall for an iPhone 5, I've considered that.

AT&T isn't offering me a subsidy until January 3, 2012 (or maybe they are: is 449/549/649 a partial subsidy?)  Anyway, no compelling reason to pay $250 more than I'd have to later.

The improved camera would be nice, as would the better antenna, although the antenna stuff truly hasn't been an issue for me.  And it won't solve the problem that AT&T barely has 1-bar service at my house.  It's annoying but I live with it.

As for storage, I'm not sure I'd buy the 64 GB phone anyway.  32 GB has been enough, particularly since I don't ever watch (or store) movies on my iPhone any more since the iPad came out. 

But my biggest reason for holding off is the expectation that the next iPhone iteration will be a complete physical revamp, and if I upgrade in January, I won't be eligible for another subsidy for 18 months or so.  I'm too cheap to wanna pay full price for a new phone.

I'm expecting that I'll upgrade to the iPad 3 whenever it comes out, I'm still using the original iPad and am ready to move up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript