The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 24, 2019, 05:13:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Android Store Test Drive  (Read 3463 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »

This is HOT: http://www.9to5mac.com/58135/apple-please-borrow-amazons-virtual-interface-idea/

Looking at how much that is about user experience, it's funny Apple didn't think if it first. What'll be interesting is if other folks (Apple included) try to mimic this. I think it makes a HUGE amount of sense and it's reasonably well executed.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »

im sure they did. considering they already have all the tech in place. There was an online iphone simulator at one point, plus there is one in the dev kit.

My guess is this. By not creating a way to test, people dont worry about trying an app out for 99c. I know I dont.
If they app sucks, they write a bad review (i have done a few). So, because I buy apps that suck, to find the one that doesnt, more money is made around the table. I still only spend a few bucks, big deal.

I am on the fence on this.

The idea of people being able to make money by developing a mediocre version of a great app idea, is ok by me. Great versions will come along and push it out of business. But in the mean time, there is room for quick and dirty for cheap. Otherwise every app would have to cost $50 because very few would actually buy after testing.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »

From the get-go they had me recoiling in horror, when I realised that you could not purchase apps outside of the US.
I installed the amazon appstore app, proceeded to attempt to buy (yeah you guessed it angry birds rio)... bang, crash, error. "Sorry you cannot purchase apps from outside of the US". This was immediately followed by me, removing the app, and removing all details from my amazon account, as best I could anyway.

Very bad move in my opinion. Should have been all or nothing.

Im with nb on the android emulator. Whilst sometimes its great to show off your technical prowess, other times it is probably a good idea to weigh up the repercussions of giving customers too much time or opportunity to try before buying.
I can see, the Amazon app store catering to those few that are looking for the elite of android apps.. (higher purchase price)

Im not really educated on Amazon's client base, but Im guessing, like myself, a lot of android owners are just going to keep using the Android Market, because they either 1)do not know any better, 2)do not care, 3) cannot purchase from amazon due to country restrictions.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:37:26 PM »

Hmmm, I guess from a pure Make Money perspective it makes sense, and since the real cost of apps is small, it won't piss that many people off. But I still think it's a pretty damn cool differentiator. Interesting bent - perhaps people like you, kurdt, will go try them at Amazon (using up their cycles) and then purchase at the Android store, which would be the worst possible outcome for Amazon. Unless in the future they want to charge app devs to host a demo, in which case they could care less if the app sells or not.

Idea...

Similarly, other companies are now thinking they'll find success in the 7" tab market, because (at least for now) it looks like Apple has no intention of going there. It's innovation, whether we all here think it's hot or not, that will create a really dynamic market and keep Apple doing good works.

Frankly, I'd be a lot more likely to bend towards the Crapple line if Apple didn't have to keep innovating to stay ahead. I don't see how there's ANY benefit in Apple being the only player in the space. I'd much rather they have to keep running to stay ahead then to lie back and rest on laurels. Because IMO in an uncontested position they'll REALLY nasty to deal with.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dealmady
n00b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 10:02:58 AM »

Apple has sold over 15 million of the devices in less than a year! Success like that is not easy to follow with an encore but that has done little to quell the excitement surrounding the anticiiPad 2 Stand Casespation of a new release. Following the release of the first Android 3.0 powered tablet by Motorola, rumors are swirling that the second generation iPad 2 may already be in production. It has been predicted that the iPad 2 could be released as early as April. While precise information on the new features and upgrades has not yet been made public, data froiPad 2 Case Hardm various suppliers have hinted at what we might expect.
Faster Processor and Support for External Memory
Several reports have indicated that Apple will be moving to a faster dual-core processor. This would make sense considering that the Android powered Motorola Xoom tablet which is widely anticipated to compete with the iPad 2 is already featuring a iPad 2 Folio Casespowerful dual-core processor. The next iPad 2 is also expected to have a slot for an SD card which could be used for direct photo uploads from a memory card or to support external storage.
Multiple Cameras
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »

Excellent! I've been waiting for one of the bots to come in with a contemporary news scrape.

This one shows real promise  ROFLMAO

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »

Excellent! I've been waiting for one of the bots to come in with a contemporary news scrape.

This one shows real promise  ROFLMAO
That bot is good. It had me fooled Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript