The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clientside Scripting for Dummies?  (Read 3079 times)
dink
Expert

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:41:01 AM »

I have been reading the very interesting topics in the AJAX forum here lately.  Some of it makes sense, most of it flies right over the cuckoo's nest.   Shocked

So, now I have to face it... I have a very large hole in my knowledge of things internet.  Specifically scripting for the client.  Guessing here, but it is likely 50% or so that I'm missing out on.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for beginning this new journey.  Tutorials, fora, ebooks, printed books, online, offline, inline, whatever.   Need Help

Thanks in advance.

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 09:35:30 AM »

Hey Dink -

There are lots of JavaScript books, and you'd probably fly right through them. But if I could make a suggestion: the best way to learn this stuff is to create a challenge or exercise, and then grind through making it work. You'll not forget the lessons your learn, that's for sure. Also, doing it that way, you can present issues that baffle you here and we can help in *your* way rather than you just trying to understand an author's point of view.

Create the need for an AJAX style app, for example. Or simple form validation. Or animating something. Anything that tickles your fancy, but something you know you'd like to accomplish. Write the plan out, and then we can start discussing how to tackle coding it.

Javascript is initially funky to look at, then easy to look at, then retarded from a OO and real programmers perspective and finally an acceptable, if slightly flawed, language.

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:34:16 PM »

Thanks Perk.

Create the need for an AJAX style app

LOL   Ok, I need an AJAX script that will make everyone who happens onto one of my sites wish to donate $100 US to my retirement fund.   ROFLMAO

Perhaps something more pedestrian for starters.

[quote Nutballs]
[/quote]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »

ROFLMAO @ pedestrian

OK, form validation is always a good one. Do you ever need to collect an email address or phone number? Those are great ways to start, and pretty instantly applicable as well. Also form validation runs from really simple (like is a field empty or not) to pretty advanced (like is a credit card valid)

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »

Come to think of it I do have something I'd like to do.

I'd like to make a simple captcha for one of my sites.

Thanks Perk.

[quote Nutballs]
[/quote]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript